U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mexico is not a poor country by sub Saharan Africa standards.

I don't believe any country is poor compared to African standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 PM

407 posts, read 714,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I don't believe any country is poor compared to African standards.
Africa is not a country, but instead is a Continent.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Africa is not a country, but instead is a Continent.
Uh.. duh?!! I never said Africa was a country, I said "African standards".

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM

808 posts, read 2,097,199 times
This is silly, I wonder if people 100 years ago thought 100 million people in a country was too much?

The midwest is bleeding population and places like Minnesota and Iowa offer thousands of square miles of endless farmland. The Great Lakes are a HUGE freshwater source. Same with the Mississippi River.

All this overpopulation hogwash comes from those out west where the ecosystems WERE NOT made to handle large amounts of population, animal or human. The west is a desert, and piling millions upon millions of people into land not suited for habitation is bound to cause problems.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
This is silly, I wonder if people 100 years ago thought 100 million people in a country was too much?

The midwest is bleeding population and places like Minnesota and Iowa offer thousands of square miles of endless farmland. The Great Lakes are a HUGE freshwater source. Same with the Mississippi River.

All this overpopulation hogwash comes from those out west where the ecosystems WERE NOT made to handle large amounts of population, animal or human. The west is a desert, and piling millions upon millions of people into land not suited for habitation is bound to cause problems.
This is when our "advancements in technology" come into play.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 AM

808 posts, read 2,097,199 times
Quote:
Desalination is expensive. The water from the Colorado river isn't going to be able to support the huge population growth out west forever.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Desalination is expensive. The water from the Colorado river isn't going to be able to support the huge population growth out west forever.
Like I said, this is when "Advancement in technology" comes into play. Remember computers back when they first came out and how much they cost? Look at computers today. Catch my drift?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Those "advancements in technology" don't mean a tinker's damn in the face of a one hundred year cyclical drought. You cannot make rain out of nothing. The western part of the United States WILL run out of water. It is only a matter of time (and by time, I mean a mere few years).

Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Those "advancements in technology" don't mean a tinker's damn in the face of a one hundred year cyclical drought. You cannot make rain out of nothing. The western part of the United States WILL run out of water. It is only a matter of time (and by time, I mean a mere few years).
I don't know about you guys but my town has a water reservoir. Anyway, if what you assume is correct then the U.S will be like one of my favorite books. I actually aced the testing for this book. I DEFINITELY recommend it.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n4345.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
I don't know about you guys but my town has a water reservoir. Anyway, if what you assume is correct then the U.S will be like one of my favorite books. I actually aced the testing for this book. I DEFINITELY recommend it.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n4345.jpg (broken link)
Reservoirs don't mean a thing in the face of a population they were never intended to support.

I don't know what a work of fiction has to give in place of the truth.
Physical Geography - Twelfth Edition by Diane H. Carlson, Charles C. Plummer. If you are at all worried about the future of the Earth, this text book will give you the eye-opening truth about where we are headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration