U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,968,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I hate to pull an "nvxplorer" but, are you saying we should cut off all immigration at once?
I think we should either put an indefinite moratorium on immigration or at least reduce immigration to pre-1965 levels. Since I'm somewhat of a Malthusian, I believe that a smaller population would allow Americans to have a higher quality of life. I'm also concerned about the issue of global labor arbitrage (import poor people from foreign countries, increasing the need for government services for the poor and depressing wages for other lower class Americans.)

Quote:
It was Sophomore English required reading. Usually those books suck
Sounds like you got lucky with that reading assignment. I'd much rather read that than A Separate Peace, The Sound and the Fury, or A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,968,391 times
So, what did you guys think of the Immigration Gumballs video? I thought he did a great job of using the gumballs to help refute the claim that we can alleviate third world poverty by allowing a tiny amount of people to immigrate to the U.S. every year instead of helping people in other countries where they live.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I think we should either put an indefinite moratorium on immigration or at least reduce immigration to pre-1965 levels. Since I'm somewhat of a Malthusian, I believe that a smaller population would allow Americans to have a higher quality of life. I'm also concerned about the issue of global labor arbitrage (import poor people from foreign countries, increasing the need for government services for the poor and depressing wages for other lower class Americans.)

Sounds like you got lucky with that reading assignment. I'd much rather read that than A Separate Peace, The Sound and the Fury, or A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man.
Well at least we got to read a book not written by a dead White guy. The only diversity we get is Fredrick Douglas. However, The Grapes of Wrath was interesting. Leave it to Sweden, Finland and the scandanavian countries to have small populations since they have small countries. We are a pretty good sized country, why let all this land go to waste?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 AM

1,144 posts, read 3,255,330 times
Quote:
Well at least we got to read a book not written by a dead White guy. The only diversity we get is Fredrick Douglas. However, The Grapes of Wrath was interesting. Leave it to Sweden, Finland and the scandanavian countries to have small populations since they have small countries. We are a pretty good sized country, why let all this land go to waste?
On the contrary. I believe we are full. I do not want the remaining natural habitat do be anymore decimated than it already has. When 5 million people are living in the hostile desert environment that is Arizona to escape congested Los Angeles, then we are full. This really needs to be the arguement. Race/Ethnicity etc./History from 100's of years ago should not be what is paramount. How many people should America have? It is a fair question.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mandatory abortions and a one-child limit. And Mexico has an extremely high reproduction rate and they are doing it by exporting millions of their excess populations.

It's kind of ridiculous that Americans limited family size to what they could afford and went for a more stable population growth rate, only to allow itself to be overwhemed by impoverished third world fast breeders.

A few years ago the court took 6 neglected children from their 22 year old Mexican mother. That obviously not an "immigrant" family coming here to better themselves -- they come because for one their own country doesn't want them and because they are irresponsible when it comes to starting a family.
Mexico's birthrate today is under 2.4 children per woman-------unlike 7.3 kids average in 1962. Replacement level is 2.1 children.

Note though here in the USA the 'Hispanic' birthrate seems to hover around 2.8 children. Yeah; I know, define 'Hispanic'

Although; living here in the Phx area, it is not rare at all to see a younger Mestizo couple (White Hispanics are just that, 'White' so I cannot tell by looking at 'em) with but one child of about age 5 or 6.

EDIT: here in Arizona; many of our 'Mexicans' ain't, apparently a lot of Mestizo Central Americans pass themselves off as Mexican to avoid being deported all the way back home when caught.

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 02-10-2008 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Add sentence

Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

1965 on down levels for immigration works for me as well

Side note: if even 80-90% of the illegal immigrants including their Anchor Babies left; I would be happy. The hostility against illegals would diminish greatly if there far fewer here and if they 'flew under the radar'.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,078,833 times
Quote:
China is roughly almost the size of the U.S, a little bigger. They have A LOT more people than we do, so how are they doing it?
You really asked that?
How do they do it???? They herd their people around with tanks, they don't care about the enviroment, the use more coal then we do and will triple that by 2030, they pollute the air and water with every thing you can imagine. Totally not any comparision between the U.S. and China...............

Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,078,833 times
Quote:
Mexico is a big country why don't they stay there and fill that place up???You should see a movie called "Soylent Green" It might be pretty extreme but with the way we're turning food into fuel it could happen

Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Quote:
What land do you suggest is going to waste? Would you see an America covered completely in strip malls and skyscrapers?

The term "natural resources" does not pertain simply to coal, gas, oil, and mineral resources. What about the wildlife that is particular only to the North American continent? At exactly what point do we stop destroying their natural habitats in order to build another Starbuck's?

Fauna which once covered this land in abundance has been hunted and displaced on an unbelievable scale, much of it to the point of extinction.

Why are the lives of humans any more important than those creatures with whom we share the earth? We are merely an accident of evolution--simply because we evolved larger brain cases and opposable thumbs, we now have the right to wipe out entire floral and faunal populations because they are in the way of a new housing tract?

We have no more room. Our resources, water in particular, with many minerals necessary to human life running a close second, are running out. The western United States is in the very early years of a 100 years cyclical drought. Nevada, Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Colorado could run out of water as early as 2010. The southeastern United States is experiencing an unprecedented lack of rainfall--are you willing to give up the non-renewable resources used by you and your family so that we can accept more people into the U.S. who will put an additional strain on our already faltering ability to sustain them?

I'm disappointed in you Pro. You are the next generation. If you and your peers fail to understand the severity of the world shortage of non-renewable resources, then even the darkest scenario you can imagine for the future of this world will likely be mild compared to reality.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm disappointed in you Pro. You are the next generation. If you and your peers fail to understand the severity of the world shortage of non-renewable resources, then even the darkest scenario you can imagine for the future of this world will likely be mild compared to reality.
Excellent observation. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration