U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,298,279 times
Reputation: 5231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It was pandering, Obama promised a legal path to naturalization twice while he was campaigning, meanwhile he has deported more people than any other president. I thought it was over the top, Reagan did full blown amnesty and it didn't work, I am a liberal I have the utmost empathy for people trying to better their situation but I don't agree with amnesty at this massive level.
No, he hasn't.

The Obama administration CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF "DEPORTATION" to make it LOOK like they had increased deportations. Before Obama anyone turned back at the border was counted as a "return". NOW, because of the redefinition, those people are counted a "Deportations". ACTUAL deportations, as they were previously counted, are DOWN under Obama.

Democrats seem to be universally unaware of this basic fact. I've corrected them at least a dozen times on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,298,279 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
We're peas in a pod. I too am very liberal, almost stereotypically so, but can no longer call myself a Democrat. Of course my anger for this sorry state of affairs goes to Ronald Reagan, who really started this whole mess by signing off on an amnesty bill with the employer sanctions gutted out of it and without a secure border. The result was 11-20 million potential Dem voters, which the party cannot and will not pass up without a fight. I'm surprised they didn't sing the national anthem in Spanish last night. The pandering was so transparent it made me start to feel physically sick, so i turned it off.

Of course, as much as i want to take a **** on Reagan's grave for causing this, that would do no good now. The key is to vote for a candidate who can beat the two panderers.

You are aware, aren't you, that Reagan was extremely reluctant to grant amnesty and only did it because the Democrats running congress at the time promised to secure the border with a fence, etc... Only then did Reagan agree to it.

Naturally the Democrats stabbed Reagan and the entire nation in the back when, after the amnesty was granted, they REFUSED to secure the border. And in keeping with their nature they also defunded the Secure Fence Act in 2007.

Last edited by Tyster; 03-11-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
405 posts, read 358,117 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You are aware, aren't you, that Reagan was extremely reluctant to grant amnesty and only did it because the Democrats running congress at the time promised to secure the border with a fence, etc... Only then did Reagan agree to it.

Naturally the Democrats stabbed Reagan and the entire nation in the back when, after the amnesty was granted, they REFUSED to secure the border. And in keeping with their nature they also defunded the Secure Fence Act in 2007.
When I was 16, a car salesman promised me a new set of tires if I bought a car. Well, I didn't get the tires, because I didn't get that in writing and the general manager wouldn't honor it. Ever since then, I have gotten anything important in writing. Anyway, Reagan signed the bill. He's responsible. I hold the commander-in-chief to a higher level than a 16 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
3,829 posts, read 2,656,145 times
Reputation: 3670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You don't want to see a difference, for the most part drug dealers have a choice. I understand we can't be the economic refuge of the world, but the rhetoric of legal immigration is absurd to immigrate legally unless you win literally a lottery, you have to prove a level of education and funds accessible to you not to mention the actual cost of the application, background checks etc so if you can afford to qualify to immigrate here legally you basically don't need to immigrate.
However I don't agree with amnesty for everyone, and yes we can't possibly take in everyone who is needy.


Those are the immigrants we want. Self-sufficient people who will add to the country, not poor peasants who only come here to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
6,730 posts, read 1,893,594 times
Reputation: 3416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You don't want to see a difference, for the most part drug dealers have a choice. I understand we can't be the economic refuge of the world, but the rhetoric of legal immigration is absurd to immigrate legally unless you win literally a lottery, you have to prove a level of education and funds accessible to you not to mention the actual cost of the application, background checks etc so if you can afford to qualify to immigrate here legally you basically don't need to immigrate.
However I don't agree with amnesty for everyone, and yes we can't possibly take in everyone who is needy.
Every nation has requirements that must be met for someone to be eligible to immigrate to their country. It doesn't matter if these requirements are fair to the applicant. No country is under any obligation to facilitate or lower their standards for applicants. In fact it is only fair and right for nations to look out for their own needs first. Why should any nation assume additional burdens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28908
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
From an article on the Democrat debate:



Are not all undocumented immigrants criminals? Is not another term for them illegal aliens?

That's the tactic employed by the left: control the language, and control the debate. That's their schtick in all areas.

Those who come here illegally or enter the country legally but choose to stay here illegally are illegal aliens. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,379,372 times
Reputation: 5593
ALL the illegals need to be deported.
We need tough restrictions on legal immigration also.

If nothing is done, I don't think the country will survive.
You could be looking at a doubling of population, majority foreign here,
and that can happen quickly. Not just Latino, but Asian and African.

They will come and take over.
The election process will not stop them ever again.
Trump is the last chance we have for safe lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Murphy, North Carolina
2,057 posts, read 928,240 times
Reputation: 1684
Trump is our last chance. Sadly, it's like the GOP is trying as hard as possible to kill themselves, which they are doing by trying to stop Trump.

And we need to throw every single one of the illegals back to where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Reputation: 18141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Trump is our last chance. Sadly, it's like the GOP is trying as hard as possible to kill themselves, which they are doing by trying to stop Trump.

And we need to throw every single one of the illegals back to where they came from.
I don't know if they may be moving further north as I am seeing an "upswing" in the population here. The last thing we need with our tax deficits is more illegals with their anchors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,298,279 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
When I was 16, a car salesman promised me a new set of tires if I bought a car. Well, I didn't get the tires, because I didn't get that in writing and the general manager wouldn't honor it. Ever since then, I have gotten anything important in writing. Anyway, Reagan signed the bill. He's responsible. I hold the commander-in-chief to a higher level than a 16 year old.
No, he's not. He lived up to his end of the bargain... the Democrats in congress did not. If Democrats can't negotiate in good faith they really aren't worth much, are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top