U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
by AmericanMan

AmericanMan, do you own your own business(s)? Just curious

How many of you on this thread own your own business?

If you say "all illegals" are bad for the US, then you could say the same about whites, blacks, and rednecks.

In my little area of the world there are bad whites, blacks, mexicans, legal and illegal. There are also those in each "group" that are assets to the community. Can you really put a "blanket" over an entire "group"?
I USED TO own my own landscaping business with a dozen Americans working for me, but the competition from illegal employers using illegal labor put me OUT of business. I refused to join them in breaking the law and was punished for it through that loss.

Why do you ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,016,420 times
Guy, I was just curious. I have my own businesses also and let go of an American citizen to keep a legal employee from Canada and am try'n to get his citizenship for the US.

Out here wages are the same, if your good(legal or not) you get paid good. I let go of the "born & raised" cause he stole from me and lied about it even though I had solid proof.

I know your type of situation, Guy. Born and raised American are expensive. The people I've had (American, Canadian, Mexican) are very similar, one will work hard and get paid well; while another will be lazy and complain and will get paid less.......but is more expensive(I'm sure you know what I mean)

I was curious about what others have been through, thats all.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 AM

My American employees worked very hard and I paid them well for that effort. They actually cleared more money per week than I did, which I felt was fair considering it was their effort that made the whole operation profitable. I didn't feel the need to exploit them like so many others do.

Unfortunately there are greedy employers who don't care about their employees, legal or otherwise, and will squeeze them for every penny in order to live in their McMansions and drive their $50,000 trucks. IMHO those employers need to go to jail and have their illegally gotten assets forfeited.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
My American employees worked very hard and I paid them well for that effort. They actually cleared more money per week than I did, which I felt was fair considering it was their effort that made the whole operation profitable. I didn't feel the need to exploit them like so many others do.

Unfortunately there are greedy employers who don't care about their employees, legal or otherwise, and will squeeze them for every penny in order to live in their McMansions and drive their $50,000 trucks. IMHO those employers need to go to jail and have their illegally gotten assets forfeited.
See this is the thing, I am all for Employer Laws...because the employers are cheating the system and are the impetus.

Who do you think pays for these coyotes? The bus ride into town? It is the employer. This is a fact, because I know of many illegals here in the US that come to work for companies in San Antonio, Colorado even New Jersey where the employers pays their way through a friend of a friend.

You want to stop illegal immigration, throw the Employers in jail and put their business under.

This is a solution that does not alienate the entire Hispanic community in America by doing raids and streets id's.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-11-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
See this is the thing, I am all for Employer Laws...because the employers are cheating the system.

Who do you think pays for these coyotes? The bus ride into town? It is the employer. This is a fact, because I know of many illegals here in the US that come to work for companies in San Antonio, Colorado even New Jersey where the employers pays their way through a friend of a friend.

You want to stop illegal immigration, throw the Employers in jail and put their business under.

This is a solution that does not alienate the entire Hispanic community in America by doing raids and streets id's.
I agree with you on this except for the part about raids in the workplace. I do think that when those raids occur the employers, including the CEO's, need to be handcuffed and perp-walked past the media, charged in the most aggressive manner possible and upon conviction made to do the MAX for their crimes.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I agree with you on this except for the part about raids in the workplace. I do think that when those raids occur the employers, including the CEO's, need to be handcuffed and perp-walked past the media, charged in the most aggressive manner possible and upon conviction made to do the MAX for their crimes.
Oh I agree with that kind of raid, if they are taking the employer along with the illegals.

But are the raids really doing that? The results of the raids I have seen mainly target the illegal worker, not the employer.

All the Employer has to say is "oh I didn't know they were illegal" all while they paid their entire illegal entrance into the US. I can't believe people think illegals are the ones that actually give 2k to a coyote, like they have that.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Mach50Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra

Oh I agree with that kind of raid, if they are taking the employer along with the illegals.

But are the raids really doing that? The results of the raids I have seen mainly target the illegal worker, not the employer.

All the Employer has to say is "oh I didn't know they were illegal".

I can't believe people think illegals are the ones that actually give 2k to a coyote, like they have that.
Sorry, but your wrong about the employer just says "oh I didn't know they were illegal". You have to have documentation, copies, follow ups, etc. If I get a SS# and a valid DL, I can't question it, only verify it.

I'm in a different area/business than you all are talk'n about. It's nothing like that here. Legals/illegals whites/mexicans, they all are treated the same. If you work hard you get paid well, if not......your gone.

In my line of work it is hard to find a "white guy" to work hard.

BTW, I do make more than my employees. I have all the risk and I work nearly twice the hours.......but I don't get paid unless the business makes money. I hope you weren't knock'n me for that.

I don't know you all that well, new here. I'm laid back and don't take much personal. I just hope everyone knows it's not how the media "shows" it to be, here anyway.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but your wrong about the employer just says "oh I didn't know they were illegal". You have to have documentation, copies, follow ups, etc. If I get a SS# and a valid DL, I can't question it, only verify it.

I'm in a different area/business than you all are talk'n about. It's nothing like that here. Legals/illegals whites/mexicans, they all are treated the same. If you work hard you get paid well, if not......your gone.

In my line of work it is hard to find a "white guy" to work hard.

BTW, I do make more than my employees. I have all the risk and I work nearly twice the hours.......but I don't get paid unless the business makes money. I hope you weren't knock'n me for that.

I don't know you all that well, new here. I'm laid back and don't take much personal. I just hope everyone knows it's not how the media "shows" it to be, here anyway.
I am sorry what line of business are you in where it is hard to find a white guy to work hard?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Farming and livestock

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Farming and livestock
Thanks, my family is also in farming in South Florida, and I can't say in 35 years, I have ever seen a white guy working the field in the heat picking strawberries. Never even seen one apply ever and many white good ole southern boys live in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration