Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:47 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,913,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post

And it's quite likely the DMV the OP visited makes information available to all customers as to what documentation is acceptable.
Birth certificate copies always used to be acceptable so I had no reason to think it wouldn't be this time. You sound like a new rule like this is perfectly ok. I can't imagine anyone being ok with paying almost 100 dollars for a simple DL renewal.

At the very least I would expect there would be a sliding scale process because this hurts working poor like myself. I also don't appreciate the somewhat snarky response of blaming the victim which is what your post sounds like. Frankly, I'd like to grab the nearest illegal and force them to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 04:10 PM

25,874 posts, read 22,035,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Birth certificate copies always used to be acceptable so I had no reason to think it wouldn't be this time. You sound like a new rule like this is perfectly ok. I can't imagine anyone being ok with paying almost 100 dollars for a simple DL renewal.

At the very least I would expect there would be a sliding scale process because this hurts working poor like myself. I also don't appreciate the somewhat snarky response of blaming the victim which is what your post sounds like. Frankly, I'd like to grab the nearest illegal and force them to pay.
I agree with you. On a renewal, I just don't understand this. Are you sure a relative doesn't have a certified copy of your birth certificate? I wish I could think of an easier/cheaper way for you to get this done.

The illegals drive anyway without a license and just "hit and run" or at least that is what they do here. It sounds more like a way to drum up business for VitalChek, maybe the state gets a cut.

I would contact my elected state officials and voice my disagreement with this and ask that they explain it. I can see requiring a birth certificate the first time you are licensed or if you have lost your license but with a renewal or trading in a license from one state to another I don't get it. I mean, all of this is in the system and easily verified.

Try to remember if anyone might have a registered copy in any file anywhere from any time.

I know how irritated you must be. Like I said, they drive illegally just like they do everything else.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree with you. On a renewal, I just don't understand this. Are you sure a relative doesn't have a certified copy of your birth certificate? I wish I could think of an easier/cheaper way for you to get this done.

The illegals drive anyway without a license and just "hit and run" or at least that is what they do here. It sounds more like a way to drum up business for VitalChek, maybe the state gets a cut.

I would contact my elected state officials and voice my disagreement with this and ask that they explain it. I can see requiring a birth certificate the first time you are licensed or if you have lost your license but with a renewal or trading in a license from one state to another I don't get it. I mean, all of this is in the system and easily verified.

Try to remember if anyone might have a registered copy in any file anywhere from any time.

I know how irritated you must be. Like I said, they drive illegally just like they do everything else.
Thank you...good ideas all. Nice to have at least one person understand how frustrating this is !

Old 03-28-2016, 05:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,884,600 times
Quote:
It's not so much the inconvenience but the cost. Seriously, I'm on a tight budget and upwards of 100 bucks to renew my license is effing insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If it's about weeding out illegal aliens in our society then no inconvenience or cost would deter me. It's unfortunate however that it has come to this.
Agreed IF shelling out those bucks would really help in chasing off illegal aliens.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,479,711 times
Quote:

Was your license current? And were they asking for the birth certificate with a raised seal? The raised seal has always been important in my state.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 PM

1,059 posts, read 829,194 times
Quote:
So I go to the DMV a few days ago, sit & cool my heals for 2 hours and when I finally get my number called....imagine my irritation when I find out that a copy of your birth certificate isn't good enough to get your license renewed anymore.

Me: I don't understand this. Like all of a sudden I'm not American anymore and have to go out of my way to prove this ?

DMV worker: Unfortunately there are a lot of people here that shouldn't be and we can't point fingers and say "you're a citizen...you aren't"

Me: So it's political correctness in a nutshell.

DMV worker: (grudgingly) yes.

So...what it boils down to is I have to spend a bunch of money at Vitalchek for them to locate my original birth certificate, but before THAT, I have to sign and fax a sworn affidavit stating that I am, indeed, a citizen of this country and this has to be done in front of a notary public (which I'm SURE will cost more money that I don't have)...and only THEN will vitalchek get my original BC to me.

What a colossal PAIN IN THE ASS. What used to be a simple in & out procedure is turning into a farce, not to mention costing me upwards of 100 dollars altogether. Honestly, I have to wonder what it will take for people to rise up against this nonsense. Anyone else have any similar experiences ?
Whoa! I am in California and never heard of this for DL renewal. I have had a license since 16 years old, and several times let it lapse because I forgot my renewal date. No problem, no penalty, nothing. For excellent drivers, the CA DMV issues a new DL by mail (except it uses the horrid photo from my earlier DL). Just received my new DL w/same photo in December... fully two months after it was due for renewal. I haven't been in person to DMV for years, thank God.

What you went through is ridiculous! You were RENEWING, not applying for a DL from scratch. Why can't your state's DMV look up your previous DMV record(s)? What a huge inconvenience and expensive, too.

Perhaps CA is so easy because we are flooded with illegals who now may legally apply and receive Driver Licenses. Last count, over 400,000 DLs have been issued to illegals. Your state appears to be super-vigilant vis-a-vis illegals trying to get driver licenses, but this is overkill.

Sorry you had this miserable experience.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Yeh...Oregon is a pain in the ass as far as renewing your license goes.

Anyway, thanks to the supportive people on this thread. The non supportive snarky one...well, you know who you are and you can go **** up a tree.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,479,711 times
Quote:
Yeh...Oregon is a pain in the ass as far as renewing your license goes.

Anyway, thanks to the supportive people on this thread. The non supportive snarky one...well, you know who you are and you can go **** up a tree.
I think it's a pain in the ass in most states. Renewing, that is. Now, working with my kid to get a first license in Texas, trying to work through and understand all the paper work was insane! And I thought it was just me. Until I learned that they had added a whole new layer of bureaucratic nonsense, including a new online course and quiz...and this is on top of them already having their learner's permit and having passed driver's ed. Took my kid to get her license and they asked about that. Had no idea what they were talking about and they said it was new, and nobody seemed to know about it. Warned my friends who had kids also about to go for their license, none knew about it! Let me tell you, there were kids all over Dallas on their computers last minute watching this stupid educational video...which was basically about paying attention to the road and not texting, playing with the radio...very important stuff but had already been covered in basic driver's ed. Bureaucracy, gotta love it!

Old 04-03-2016, 03:40 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,428,332 times
Quote:
So I go to the DMV a few days ago, sit & cool my heals for 2 hours and when I finally get my number called....imagine my irritation when I find out that a copy of your birth certificate isn't good enough to get your license renewed anymore.

Me: I don't understand this. Like all of a sudden I'm not American anymore and have to go out of my way to prove this ?

DMV worker: Unfortunately there are a lot of people here that shouldn't be and we can't point fingers and say "you're a citizen...you aren't"

Me: So it's political correctness in a nutshell.

DMV worker: (grudgingly) yes.

So...what it boils down to is I have to spend a bunch of money at Vitalchek for them to locate my original birth certificate, but before THAT, I have to sign and fax a sworn affidavit stating that I am, indeed, a citizen of this country and this has to be done in front of a notary public (which I'm SURE will cost more money that I don't have)...and only THEN will vitalchek get my original BC to me.

What a colossal PAIN IN THE ASS. What used to be a simple in & out procedure is turning into a farce, not to mention costing me upwards of 100 dollars altogether. Honestly, I have to wonder what it will take for people to rise up against this nonsense. Anyone else have any similar experiences ?
This is what happens when Democrats want illegal aliens to invade this country.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,428,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Whoa! I am in California and never heard of this for DL renewal. I have had a license since 16 years old, and several times let it lapse because I forgot my renewal date. No problem, no penalty, nothing. For excellent drivers, the CA DMV issues a new DL by mail (except it uses the horrid photo from my earlier DL). Just received my new DL w/same photo in December... fully two months after it was due for renewal. I haven't been in person to DMV for years, thank God.

What you went through is ridiculous! You were RENEWING, not applying for a DL from scratch. Why can't your state's DMV look up your previous DMV record(s)? What a huge inconvenience and expensive, too.

Perhaps CA is so easy because we are flooded with illegals who now may legally apply and receive Driver Licenses. Last count, over 400,000 DLs have been issued to illegals. Your state appears to be super-vigilant vis-a-vis illegals trying to get driver licenses, but this is overkill.

Sorry you had this miserable experience.
Yes, in California DMV offices, you have to speak Spanish or you're out of luck -- judging from the signs on the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration