U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:59 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,886 times

Advertisements

So I go to the DMV a few days ago, sit & cool my heals for 2 hours and when I finally get my number called....imagine my irritation when I find out that a copy of your birth certificate isn't good enough to get your license renewed anymore.

Me: I don't understand this. Like all of a sudden I'm not American anymore and have to go out of my way to prove this ?

DMV worker: Unfortunately there are a lot of people here that shouldn't be and we can't point fingers and say "you're a citizen...you aren't"

Me: So it's political correctness in a nutshell.

DMV worker: (grudgingly) yes.

So...what it boils down to is I have to spend a bunch of money at Vitalchek for them to locate my original birth certificate, but before THAT, I have to sign and fax a sworn affidavit stating that I am, indeed, a citizen of this country and this has to be done in front of a notary public (which I'm SURE will cost more money that I don't have)...and only THEN will vitalchek get my original BC to me.

What a colossal PAIN IN THE ASS. What used to be a simple in & out procedure is turning into a farce, not to mention costing me upwards of 100 dollars altogether. Honestly, I have to wonder what it will take for people to rise up against this nonsense. Anyone else have any similar experiences ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
In KS, we went and waited to get them renewed and when our number was called, they asked "Where is the renewal card we sent you?" I said "I tossed it since we were already aware that we needed to renew." So, the man goes on "Do you have a copy of your utility bill with your current address?" I said "We do all of that online." We had to return. So, when we returned some non-English speaking people were having an issue and two of the 3 workers had to assist them for probably 30 minutes.

Does the state where you were born use Vitalchek and you are just unable to order a copy from the county records office? I know some use services like that. I'm just not sure why a certified copy of your birth certificate along with your expiring DL won't work. I would follow up online to make sure that you got the right info as sometimes that doesn't happen and I like this website: Driver's License & ID Guide | DMV.org

Old 03-27-2016, 01:00 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
So I go to the DMV a few days ago, sit & cool my heals for 2 hours and when I finally get my number called....imagine my irritation when I find out that a copy of your birth certificate isn't good enough to get your license renewed anymore.

Me: I don't understand this. Like all of a sudden I'm not American anymore and have to go out of my way to prove this ?

DMV worker: Unfortunately there are a lot of people here that shouldn't be and we can't point fingers and say "you're a citizen...you aren't"

Me: So it's political correctness in a nutshell.

DMV worker: (grudgingly) yes.

So...what it boils down to is I have to spend a bunch of money at Vitalchek for them to locate my original birth certificate, but before THAT, I have to sign and fax a sworn affidavit stating that I am, indeed, a citizen of this country and this has to be done in front of a notary public (which I'm SURE will cost more money that I don't have)...and only THEN will vitalchek get my original BC to me.

What a colossal PAIN IN THE ASS. What used to be a simple in & out procedure is turning into a farce, not to mention costing me upwards of 100 dollars altogether. Honestly, I have to wonder what it will take for people to rise up against this nonsense. Anyone else have any similar experiences ?
But ILLEGAL aliens don't need a BC to get a US drivers license. Despicable and I'm being nice.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,718,692 times
Quote:
Like all of a sudden I'm not American anymore and have to go out of my way to prove this ?
Yeah, pretty much. If people expect their government to increase efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants, they should probably get used to such inconveniences.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:26 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Yeah, pretty much. If people expect their government to increase efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants, they should probably get used to such inconveniences.

I'd rather put up with an inconvenience than to allow the fraud by illegal aliens.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,718,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd rather put up with an inconvenience than to allow the fraud by illegal aliens.

And it's quite likely the DMV the OP visited makes information available to all customers as to what documentation is acceptable.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM

5,971 posts, read 2,791,931 times
I live in Illinois and the idiots in government here gave illegals "temporary visitors drivers licenses" and say on them "not for identification use".

There are also people brought here when they were young and they have an "employment authorization card" (obamas dreamer/DACA crap) that allows them to get a normal drivers license.

Bunch of criminals we have had in government.

1965 idiot Kennedy brothers immigration act
1980 idiot Carter's refugee act
1986 idiot Reagan's amnesty
1988 through 2008 idiot Bush's and Bill weren't tough
2008 through today Obama has been the worst

Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In KS, we went and waited to get them renewed and when our number was called, they asked "Where is the renewal card we sent you?" I said "I tossed it since we were already aware that we needed to renew." So, the man goes on "Do you have a copy of your utility bill with your current address?" I said "We do all of that online." We had to return. So, when we returned some non-English speaking people were having an issue and two of the 3 workers had to assist them for probably 30 minutes.

Does the state where you were born use Vitalchek and you are just unable to order a copy from the county records office? I know some use services like that. I'm just not sure why a certified copy of your birth certificate along with your expiring DL won't work. I would follow up online to make sure that you got the right info as sometimes that doesn't happen and I like this website: Driver's License & ID Guide | DMV.org
It always used to. Apparently, my state sneakily worked in new rules somewhere along the line. Everyone here has to use Vital chek now.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not so much the inconvenience but the cost. Seriously, I'm on a tight budget and upwards of 100 bucks to renew my license is effing insane.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:46 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
It's not so much the inconvenience but the cost. Seriously, I'm on a tight budget and upwards of 100 bucks to renew my license is effing insane.

If it's about weeding out illegal aliens in our society then no inconvenience or cost would deter me. It's unfortunate however that it has come to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration