U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 02:58 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,035,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Canada will not let them in.

Ever travel to the Canadian border near Niagara Falls and walk into Canada,then stay for 10 mintues?

You cannot-if you do not have your Usa passport,The US border protral keeps you in Canada for up to 3 days until Us citizenship verified.

I visited Niagara Falls and could not even walk across the bridge.
This makes no sense. I grew up in Niagara Falls and believe you are talking about the Rainbow Bridge.

First off Canada Border Services is located on the Canadian side of the bridge, so yes you could walk across the bridge but you wouldn't be admitted to Canada and would have to walk back.

Second the U.S. border patrol does not operate at any of the bridges in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side so they could not hold you.

Third Canada Border Services does not hold someone for 3 days to verify your citizenship. If you can't prove it, and they can't find it through their computer systems (yes they are linked to the US system), then you are turned around and sent back to the U.S. There is no holding you until they verify - it is done while you wait and then you are either admitted or denied.

Finally you don't need a U.S. passport to enter Canada, you need a valid passport from your country of citizenship. If someone came up from Mexico and wanted to enter Canada (legally or illegally) they would have a Mexican passport, not a U.S. passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
This makes no sense. I grew up in Niagara Falls and believe you are talking about the Rainbow Bridge.

First off Canada Border Services is located on the Canadian side of the bridge, so yes you could walk across the bridge but you wouldn't be admitted to Canada and would have to walk back.

Second the U.S. border patrol does not operate at any of the bridges in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side so they could not hold you.

Third Canada Border Services does not hold someone for 3 days to verify your citizenship. If you can't prove it, and they can't find it through their computer systems (yes they are linked to the US system), then you are turned around and sent back to the U.S. There is no holding you until they verify - it is done while you wait and then you are either admitted or denied.

Finally you don't need a U.S. passport to enter Canada, you need a valid passport from your country of citizenship. If someone came up from Mexico and wanted to enter Canada (legally or illegally) they would have a Mexican passport, not a U.S. passport.
I said the Usa border patrol holds you until it confirms your citizenship.

Actually,you can enter Canada but will not be admitted back into the Usa without a passport.

There are literally thousands of people who have written about this on the internet.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I said the Usa border patrol holds you until it confirms your citizenship.

Actually,you can enter Canada but will not be admitted back into the Usa without a passport.

There are literally thousands of people who have written about this on the internet.
You said the US border patrol holds you in Canada for up to 3 days until they verify your citizenship. That is patently false. The US border patrol has no authority to keep anyone in Canada - they may keep you in detention in the U.S. while they determine your admissibility, but they do absolutely nothing in Canada.

And no you can't enter Canada without a passport, just as you can't enter the U.S. without a passport. Canada has stricter entry requirements than the U.S.

What the people complain on the internet has nothing to do with the multiple factual errors you presented.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM

9,811 posts, read 7,116,916 times
My wife and I visited Niagra Falls a few years back and I brought my passport but my wife did not. The evening we arrived we walked along the American side and bumped into a border agent on his smoke break. We asked him if we needed a passport to go out on the bridge and he said no but we would need one to get back into the country. We explained that my wife didn't have hers and he said he would let us run out to the middle then let us back in. My wife is foreign so we didn't chance it.

I did go over the next day and was greeted by a really friendly, nice young woman on the Canadian side who let me through. i can't remember if she scanned my passport. I took photos at the rim, bought my wife a little gift then walked back to America where I was greeted by barbed wire, cameras and had to be buzzed in to a room where a rather grumpy agent questioned me while 4 others glared at me.

Going to Canada I was treated like a visiting tourist, coming back to America I was a suspect.

It is a sad sign of the times but America needs security.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I visited Niagra Falls a few years back and I brought my passport but my wife did not. The evening we arrived we walked along the American side and bumped into a border agent on his smoke break. We asked him if we needed a passport to go out on the bridge and he said no but we would need one to get back into the country. We explained that my wife didn't have hers and he said he would let us run out to the middle then let us back in. My wife is foreign so we didn't chance it.

I did go over the next day and was greeted by a really friendly, nice young woman on the Canadian side who let me through. i can't remember if she scanned my passport. I took photos at the rim, bought my wife a little gift then walked back to America where I was greeted by barbed wire, cameras and had to be buzzed in to a room where a rather grumpy agent questioned me while 4 others glared at me.

Going to Canada I was treated like a visiting tourist, coming back to America I was a suspect.

It is a sad sign of the times but America needs security.
Damn sad cause 30 years ago; crossing from East to West Germany could've earned a bullet from the E German cops; Germany 2016 it's like crossing from Bullhead City to Laughlin but, the US/Canadian border is now tightly controlled.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
You said the US border patrol holds you in Canada for up to 3 days until they verify your citizenship. That is patently false. The US border patrol has no authority to keep anyone in Canada - they may keep you in detention in the U.S. while they determine your admissibility, but they do absolutely nothing in Canada.

And no you can't enter Canada without a passport, just as you can't enter the U.S. without a passport. Canada has stricter entry requirements than the U.S.

What the people complain on the internet has nothing to do with the multiple factual errors you presented.
Wrong again......You can enter Canada without a passport,see the above poster.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:19 AM

[quote=jerseygal4u;43785455]Wrong again......You can enter Canada without a passport,see the above poster.[/quote

Actually you are wrong, read again what he said. The agent told him his wife could go to the middle of the bridge to take pictures but would need a passport to get back into the U.S. If you only go to the middle of the bridge then you have not entered Canada as that is on the other side of the bridge. Going to the middle is putting yourself in a zone where you have left one country, but not entered another.

We can go all day about the rules and procedures. Years ago I trained to be an immigration officer, specifically in Niagara Falls and my best friend is one of the folks who trains Canadian Immigration Officers. I will continue to correct every error you post so folks know what the reality is.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:03 PM

9,350 posts, read 8,742,167 times
Excellent! If the U.S. had just half of the restrictions that Canada does we would be in better shape.

Why our country opens it's doors to anyone and everyone and then ignores the plight it causes our citizens is a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Cape Cod Todd.

Nice try, but I am not going to bite on your bait.

Canada is a liberal country, but we are not stupid. We have a effective Immigration program, that requires all applicants to be fully investigated... Before they arrive at our border.

We also have a system that requires all employers to ask for and see the job applicant's visa and Social Insurance Number card, and verify that they are in Canada legally. You can't open a bank account, rent a place to live, get a driver's license, put your kids in school, or get a credit card, with out proving that you are "entitled to be in Canada ". Compare that to the way that things are done in your country.

And while we are talking about illegals.............Guess which country supplies the most illegals in Canada.........wait for it......The good old USA. That's right.

link. Americans top the list of illegal foreign workers caught by CBSA - National | Globalnews.ca

Guess your argument has quite a lot of holes in it.......And finally , for some one to "walk up to Canada" they first have to get into YOUR country, right? How about this for an idea, take care of your own backyard, before you make stupid cracks about others ?

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration