U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2016, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Reputation: 8988

Advertisements

Actually, the politically incorrect remedy to the allure of illegal immigration is unpalatable:
[] Abolish socialism / freebies
[] Abolish taxes and regulations on American labor and industry
[] Abolish limited liability
[] Repeal the 14th amendment

Without the socialist and administrative burden for hiring Americans, illegal under the table off book foreign labor wouldn't have a chance.
Without the lure of freebies and anchor babies, there's no benefit to sneak into America.
Ironically, with the drop in taxes, a resurgence of American industry and manufacturing might trigger a labor shortage which would support increasing LEGAL immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 AM
 
12,989 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Reputation: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Actually, the politically incorrect remedy to the allure of illegal immigration is unpalatable:
[] Abolish socialism / freebies
[] Abolish taxes and regulations on American labor and industry
[] Abolish limited liability
[] Repeal the 14th amendment

Without the socialist and administrative burden for hiring Americans, illegal under the table off book foreign labor wouldn't have a chance.
Without the lure of freebies and anchor babies, there's no benefit to sneak into America.
Ironically, with the drop in taxes, a resurgence of American industry and manufacturing might trigger a labor shortage which would support increasing LEGAL immigration.
No, the solution isn't to erase all the safety net to American citizens. The solution is to punish employers who hire illegals. If they were heavily fined or even jailed for it, then it would stop. Very simple, and wouldn't hurt our own citizens and the poor in this country.

But I do agree we need to end birthright citizenship. It's ridiculous that someone who is born here is automatically a citizen, even when their own parents are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 AM
 
12,989 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Reputation: 8013
My point in bringing up the Ertman/Pena murders was not to say illegal aliens are more criminal than American citizens. In fact, everyone just assumed all of them were American citizens at the time (and as far as I know, they all were except Medellin and possibly his minor brother).

It was posted because someone else mentioned that the mom's testimony was one of the most heartbreaking accounts of a child's murder she had ever heard, so I posted another that I found particularly heartbreaking as well, and because later it became an issue in the International Court expecting the one Mexican National in the case to receive a lesser sentence than the American citizens in the case. That just really made me so angry. They did it again a few years later with Humberto Leal (look up the horrific crime he did in Texas).

I know a lot of Mexican Nationals (illegals) who are very nice, and would never do this type of stuff. They are often the victims of these crimes too. I don't agree with Trump that most of the criminals are being sent here. I do think we ought to secure our border though, because immigration is supposed to be reserved for people who can be a benefit to this country. I do believe that without border control, we have no idea who is coming here and we should know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Now if all this is going on in just my little neck of the woods, how much of this goes on Nationwide? These people need to be dealt with.
I didn't have much in the way of opinions until I lived in a border town.
That. Was eye-opening.
Forget the money. The lives these people cost are far too much.
Yes, we have citizens who are also terrible, but that is an argument against importing more, not an excuse for letting these people stay.
Even the well-meaning ones make some p*** poor decisions based on culture and just being plain ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 11:05 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My point in bringing up the Ertman/Pena murders was not to say illegal aliens are more criminal than American citizens. In fact, everyone just assumed all of them were American citizens at the time (and as far as I know, they all were except Medellin and possibly his minor brother).

It was posted because someone else mentioned that the mom's testimony was one of the most heartbreaking accounts of a child's murder she had ever heard, so I posted another that I found particularly heartbreaking as well, and because later it became an issue in the International Court expecting the one Mexican National in the case to receive a lesser sentence than the American citizens in the case. That just really made me so angry. They did it again a few years later with Humberto Leal (look up the horrific crime he did in Texas).

I know a lot of Mexican Nationals (illegals) who are very nice, and would never do this type of stuff. They are often the victims of these crimes too. I don't agree with Trump that most of the criminals are being sent here. I do think we ought to secure our border though, because immigration is supposed to be reserved for people who can be a benefit to this country. I do believe that without border control, we have no idea who is coming here and we should know.
Trump didn't say that all illegals from Mexico are criminals but the fact remains that some or many of them are. To me just coming here illegally shows a lack of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 AM
 
Location: US
3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times
Reputation: 1620
I feel so sorry for the border residents. They cries have gone and will continue to go unheeded. Open borders are too important to the establishment--both Dems and Pubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I didn't have much in the way of opinions until I lived in a border town.
That. Was eye-opening.
Forget the money. The lives these people cost are far too much.
Yes, we have citizens who are also terrible, but that is an argument against importing more, not an excuse for letting these people stay.
Even the well-meaning ones make some p*** poor decisions based on culture and just being plain ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:15 PM
 
12,989 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Reputation: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Trump didn't say that all illegals from Mexico are criminals but the fact remains that some or many of them are. To me just coming here illegally shows a lack of character.
I don't think so. Many do come here for a better life. It's sad because their own country could be reformed if many of them stayed and demanded government reform instead. Having us as their neighbor is a real boone for their corrupt government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think so. Many do come here for a better life. It's sad because their own country could be reformed if many of them stayed and demanded government reform instead. Having us as their neighbor is a real boone for their corrupt government.
It's true.
Their government has royally screwed them on many levels.
I remember the whole Vicente Fox corn thing that drove so many already poor farmers into the ground.
I was there volunteering in a small isolated village watching the villagers go out in the morning to move rocks. They were getting paid to move rocks bc their entire farming enterprise had been undermined.
These same people, however, said that they wanted to go to the U.S. because everyone knows you get a free house, a free car, and free food if you go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:28 PM
 
12,989 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Reputation: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's true.
Their government has royally screwed them on many levels.
I remember the whole Vicente Fox corn thing that drove so many already poor farmers into the ground.
I was there volunteering in a small isolated village watching the villagers go out in the morning to move rocks. They were getting paid to move rocks bc their entire farming enterprise had been undermined.
These same people, however, said that they wanted to go to the U.S. because everyone knows you get a free house, a free car, and free food if you go there.
I don't think those people actually know a lot of Hispanics, because I see a lot who are so kind and hard working. They're a lot of fun too. Their countries just have so many problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM
 
11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Reputation: 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think so. Many do come here for a better life. It's sad because their own country could be reformed if many of them stayed and demanded government reform instead. Having us as their neighbor is a real boone for their corrupt government.
Yes, they do come for a better life. However, that does not entitle them to thumb their noses at our immigration laws. Illegal immigration is a slap in the face to those who took the time to obey our immigration laws and patiently await their turn to come here. I have some neighbors who are legal immigrants and illegal immigration makes them very angry. One couple, who came here legally from South America, said that they dislike seeing signage in Spanish in this country because, as the wife put it "In America, we speak English".

It definitely shows a lack of character when someone deliberately decides to either sneak across the border or overstay a visa. Once here, illegals have to commit other crimes in order to survive. It's illegal for them to work so they do one of the following; 1) Commit ID theft. So many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft by illegals, that the Puerto Rican government had to take the unprecedented step of declaring all PR-issued birth certificates null and void. Now if native-born PRs need a copy of their birth certificate, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one; 2) Use a fake SSN. Disgracefully, there is a loophole in the law that no politician on either side of the aisle has attempted to close, that says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. The SSA won't tell you if someone is using your SSN. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not having filed a tax return on a job you never worked. Many Americans found out that several illegals were using their SSN when the IRS came after them. When that happens, the true owner of that SSN gets put in a world of hurt; or 3) They get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. Many Americans have gone to jail for tax evasion, yet illegals get a free pass for doing so.

Oh, BTW, I do "actually know a lot of Hispanics". After all, I am half-Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top