U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Reputation: 66976

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think those people actually know a lot of Hispanics, because I see a lot who are so kind and hard working. They're a lot of fun too. Their countries just have so many problems.
Doesn't really matter, though.
My family had to work their ass off and jump through all sorts of hoops to come here legally.
So I have little sympathy for the fence jumpers or VISA overstayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I feel so sorry for the border residents. They cries have gone and will continue to go unheeded. Open borders are too important to the establishment--both Dems and Pubs.
Actually border residents do pretty well. There is El Paso - 80% Hispanic and with a high illegal population. One of the lowest crime rate cities in the US

The El Paso Miracle - Reason.com

Laredo is similar.

So in fact illegals probably led to low violent crime rates.

So if you wish to lower the violent crime rate you would go after natives not illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Reputation: 66976
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually border residents do pretty well. There is El Paso - 80% Hispanic and with a high illegal population. One of the lowest crime rate cities in the US

The El Paso Miracle - Reason.com

Laredo is similar.

So in fact illegals probably led to low violent crime rates.

So if you wish to lower the violent crime rate you would go after natives not illegals.
I lived in El Paso.
It's the 3rd safest city bc they only count violent crime.
Burglary, ID theft, drinking and driving, driving without insurance, petty theft, drugst, etc, are off the charts.
AND let's not forget all the unsolved murders taking place in Juarez.
One theory on the lack of violent crime is cartel bosses making sure it all goes down across the borders, where getting caught and prosecuted successfully is immensely less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 02:38 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I lived in El Paso.
It's the 3rd safest city bc they only count violent crime.
Burglary, ID theft, drinking and driving, driving without insurance, petty theft, drugst, etc, are off the charts.
AND let's not forget all the unsolved murders taking place in Juarez.
One theory on the lack of violent crime is cartel bosses making sure it all goes down across the borders, where getting caught and prosecuted successfully is immensely less likely.
I think you're right. Otherwise things WOULD get real ugly for the cartels IF they carried on like that in El Paso cause the gloves would come off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:41 PM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I lived in El Paso.
It's the 3rd safest city bc they only count violent crime.
Burglary, ID theft, drinking and driving, driving without insurance, petty theft, drugst, etc, are off the charts.
AND let's not forget all the unsolved murders taking place in Juarez.
One theory on the lack of violent crime is cartel bosses making sure it all goes down across the borders, where getting caught and prosecuted successfully is immensely less likely.



Thanks for clarifying that. Now what will the pro-illegals have to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:44 PM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My point in bringing up the Ertman/Pena murders was not to say illegal aliens are more criminal than American citizens. In fact, everyone just assumed all of them were American citizens at the time (and as far as I know, they all were except Medellin and possibly his minor brother).

It was posted because someone else mentioned that the mom's testimony was one of the most heartbreaking accounts of a child's murder she had ever heard, so I posted another that I found particularly heartbreaking as well, and because later it became an issue in the International Court expecting the one Mexican National in the case to receive a lesser sentence than the American citizens in the case. That just really made me so angry. They did it again a few years later with Humberto Leal (look up the horrific crime he did in Texas).

I know a lot of Mexican Nationals (illegals) who are very nice, and would never do this type of stuff. They are often the victims of these crimes too. I don't agree with Trump that most of the criminals are being sent here. I do think we ought to secure our border though, because immigration is supposed to be reserved for people who can be a benefit to this country. I do believe that without border control, we have no idea who is coming here and we should know.

Curious to know how you have come to know so many illegals. Did you ask them if they were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:53 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. Now what will the pro-illegals have to say?
That is hopelessly incorrect. El Paso does better on property crime than it does on violent crime. Laredo is similar.

It is not pro illegal. It is pro common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 05:48 PM
 
12,992 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Reputation: 8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Doesn't really matter, though.
My family had to work their ass off and jump through all sorts of hoops to come here legally.
So I have little sympathy for the fence jumpers or VISA overstayers.
Neither do I. I was just saying that I like the ones I know, and do feel they have character, even if I don't agree with coming here illegally. I really feel all this activism here in this country on behalf of the undocumented could be better spent over in their countries making their governments more accountable. The fence jumpers as you say are the type of people that need to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 06:35 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Neither do I. I was just saying that I like the ones I know, and do feel they have character, even if I don't agree with coming here illegally. I really feel all this activism here in this country on behalf of the undocumented could be better spent over in their countries making their governments more accountable. The fence jumpers as you say are the type of people that need to do it.
Actually Mexico does quite well. Might even become a stable economy with a viable middle class if they could get rid of their drug driven crime syndicates. But that would likely require that the US stops buying drugs...what is the chance of that?

Note though the upper/lower class split of Central and South American has proven about as resilient as the republican form of the US. To push for revolution will almost automatically lead to the communist/socialist dictatorship of a Cuba or a Venezuela. The antis need to be careful of what they wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually Mexico does quite well. Might even become a stable economy with a viable middle class if they could get rid of their drug driven crime syndicates. But that would likely require that the US stops buying drugs...what is the chance of that?

Note though the upper/lower class split of Central and South American has proven about as resilient as the republican form of the US. To push for revolution will almost automatically lead to the communist/socialist dictatorship of a Cuba or a Venezuela. The antis need to be careful of what they wish for.
Time to put things to the test; if that means blocking off Mexico, so be it. If talking drugs; word is a LOT of US drugs are from here, NOT from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top