U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM

14,291 posts, read 7,424,873 times

Advertisements

If we secured our border that would relieve mexicos border. DUMB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM

9,653 posts, read 9,485,076 times
Well at least once we merge with Mexico our southern border will finally be secure.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Well at least once we merge with Mexico our southern border will finally be secure.
Or; the much more likely scenario, that we annex at least the northern Mexican states.......it would be easier to secure against what is left.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,043,547 times
What's ironic is all the criticism we get from Mexico for wanting to build a fence on our border, yet it's perfectly acceptable for them to build one on theirs. If only we could trick them to use the money to build a fence on their NORTHERN border......

Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Or; the much more likely scenario, that we annex at least the northern Mexican states.......it would be easier to secure against what is left.
I don't want to annex anybody - in that case, we'd have poorer states than Mississippi.

Besides, they'd never agree to join the U.S. - it's like Puerto Rico - they have citizens' rights, but don't pay taxes. They've voted several times on being a state, but don't want it - geez, wonder WHY?

Mexico would just be a "territory" or something, and they wouldn't have to pay taxes, but would get the benefits like Puerto Rico. I'll betcha!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM

608 posts, read 881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I heard Calderon refuses to agree to conditions set forth to make sure the money is used for its intended purpose...

And, isn't the Mexican government controlled at least partly by drug cartels?

What would be their motivation to eliminate drug traffic?

And if we fenced off our US/Mexican border, it'd help as well because I'm sure a lot of the drug traffickers are going INTO Mexico, in order to cross INTO the USA.

If our fence were up, where would they sell the drugs, to the Mexicans?
Stopping drug cartels is like telling Americans to stop buying illegal drugs. It will never happen. We dislike illegals but love illegal drugs.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM

608 posts, read 881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't want to annex anybody - in that case, we'd have poorer states than Mississippi.

Besides, they'd never agree to join the U.S. - it's like Puerto Rico - they have citizens' rights, but don't pay taxes. They've voted several times on being a state, but don't want it - geez, wonder WHY?

Mexico would just be a "territory" or something, and they wouldn't have to pay taxes, but would get the benefits like Puerto Rico. I'll betcha!
Puerto Rico is a whole other issue... you can't compare it to Mexico or any other non commonwealth. Besides, it doesn't pass because voters are divided three ways: Independence, statehood and remain as commonwealth. Each time they are asked to vote they can never get a majority for the non commonwealth options. So they reamain a commonwealth with the ability to move from island to mainland and back without issue. Damn smart if you think of it from PRs perspective.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,922,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Stopping drug cartels is like telling Americans to stop buying illegal drugs. It will never happen. We dislike illegals but love illegal drugs.

you may like them.. but speak for yourself!
I for one do NOT.. never have done drugs, NEVER will!
I have no problem turning in anyone who makes,sells or uses..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration