Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
While I do agree that many (not all) of the anti-immigration crowd really just dislike Mexicans/Hispanics and are not really concerned whether they are legal or not, in all fairness I have say that although the "average" wait to enter the US legally MAY be 10 years or more (at least from Mexico) it is NOT true that it's 10 years or more for all immigrants. I know this for a fact because my sisters' husband is from India and immigrated here after waiting no more than 3 years (if even that). Now it's probable (I don't know for sure - but I guess I could ask) that an employer sponsored him right out of school in India - but I DO know for a fact that he had NO family here. Being EXTREMELY hardworking, very smart and highly educated, he's done quite well - achieving the American Dream and retiring from Microsoft at age 40 or so and now running his own software startup firm currently providing highly-paid jobs for a dozen or so people (evenly split between the US and India).

Is his case typical? Of course not - but it DOES happen, so the wait (at least for folks with desirable skills) is not necessarily 10 years - though that MAY be the case for "regular" rank-and-file type worker-bees.

Ken

PS - By the way, 2 years ago he became an American citizen.
how can u become a citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Can you make yourself more clear please,
I would seriously doubt it...

Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschula214 View Post
this is all crap we ar enothing without immigrants and everyone including racest ppl know that!!!
Again, the point is ILLEGAL immigrants. Your statement is merely an attempt to distort the point and the discussion.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I would seriously doubt it...
I dont understand what makes people think that US citizenship is something thats earned by showing up.

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
this is all crap we ar enothing without immigrants and everyone including racest ppl know that!!!
Legal immigrants yes.............I agree.

Illegal ones-------------no away.

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
how can u become a citizen?
How to become a U.S. citizen

Ken

Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
i think that there should be stricter limits on the number of legal immigrants and the illegal immigrants should get NO favors or anything else for that matter. We have 6 bill people on earth not all can come in.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
That is definitely something I totally agree about. It would be more fair to the citizens of this country and would stop a lot of the riff raff that comes here.
Was it based on quotas, or on job skills, or what? It seems to me they had to have job skills and have sponsorship so they wouldn't be a "burden to the taxpayers" or something.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
I'd return the favor and call the article disingenuous, but it doesn't appear to reach that level. Unintelligible...or whacky would be a better description. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Myth No. 1: ''We are only against illegal immigration. Undocumented immigrants should get in line for visas.'' That's deceptive because you can't demand that people get into line when, for the most part, there is no line to get into.

While the U.S. labor market is demanding 1.5 million mostly low-skilled immigrants a year -- and will demand many more in coming years, as the U.S. population becomes increasingly educated -- the current immigration system allows into the U.S. an average of one million legal immigrants a year, and most of them are already here.
Here, the author states that "there is no line to get into," yet, in the very next paragraph, he states that the US allows one million immigrants per year. Can someone please explain this? Furthermore - and this is the whacky part - if we allow one million per year, how can most of them be already here? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Call me anti-immigrant. Call me hateful. Call me anything you want. I don't put any stock in the opinions of those who have difficulty with cohesive thought.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,210 times
Why are White people critized the world wide for wanting to maintain a White majority in Europe, US, Canada, and Australia. Yet no critism is ever directed at non white countries like India, China, Mexico, and Africa. Stop the white guilt BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration