Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 PM

38 posts, read 74,104 times

Advertisements

I am a house painter in Mass. I have dramatically lowered my prices to keep up with the illegal immigrants prices. It is not fair that I have to do this. I am a taxpayer and a citizen with a family to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,189 times
Of course its not fair. There are thousands of other Americans having to compete with illegal labor. It's not right. Economics prevails.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmathkm View Post
I am a house painter in Mass. I have dramatically lowered my prices to keep up with the illegal immigrants prices. It is not fair that I have to do this. I am a taxpayer and a citizen with a family to support.
You're in a tough spot. What's happening to you is a shame...but the people who run our government not only don't WORK for a living....(as you do)..most of them probably only rarely even TALK to someone who works.

To THEM, it's a new, exciting "global economy". Some adjustments will have to be made, of course. (Like the shrinking and eventual downgrading of the American middle class). But that doesn't concern them. They're not PART of the middle class, and don't know anyone who IS. To THEM, these are "exciting times".

Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Sadly if one complains about immigration,you risk being called "bigoted" but illegal immigration DOES take work away from legal immigrants and American citizens. None of the 3 presidential candidates seem to want to do much in controlling this problem. I blame the businesses that are willing to hire illegal immigrants the most though.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
Sadly if one complains about immigration,you risk being called "bigoted" but illegal immigration DOES take work away from legal immigrants and American citizens. None of the 3 presidential candidates seem to want to do much in controlling this problem. I blame the businesses that are willing to hire illegal immigrants the most though.
I would still complain about illegal immigration even if the people involved were Hungarians--------I am of 1/2 that heritage.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 AM

220 posts, read 381,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Of course its not fair. There are thousands of other Americans having to compete with illegal labor. It's not right. Economics prevails.
It's so obvious that you don't give a flip about the U.S. and its legal citizenry.

You seem to be more interested in cheering on the degredation and immorality of your co-ethnics than anything else.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
It's so obvious that you don't give a flip about the U.S. and its legal citizenry.

You seem to be more interested in cheering on the degredation and immorality of your co-ethnics than anything else.
Did you even read my post? I'm saying its not fair for the American worker! I'm pointing out facts here for christ sake. Please, read my post before responding. You just made a big fool of yourself.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM

164 posts, read 516,801 times
Quote:
One the the worst parts is that it is hard to find a contractor who doesn't hire illegals to do the actual work, or who doesn't subcontract out to illegals. At least in California where its been going on for years and years. You think you're hiring a citizen.

Yep, prices are lower, but the work is unskilled and it shows. If I ever have work done again I'm going to ask how the contractor feels about hiring illegals. I think others who feel strongly on the issue should do the same.

At the same time...I think all of us American's should remember to work hard, provide _quality_ work and good customer service. Whether we work for ourselves or for an employer. Take pride in the work you do.

Not implying you don't already, Pmathkm. I just couldn't resist getting up on the soapbox.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
One the the worst parts is that it is hard to find a contractor who doesn't hire illegals to do the actual work, or who doesn't subcontract out to illegals. At least in California where its been going on for years and years. You think you're hiring a citizen.

Yep, prices are lower, but the work is unskilled and it shows. If I ever have work done again I'm going to ask how the contractor feels about hiring illegals. I think others who feel strongly on the issue should do the same.

At the same time...I think all of us American's should remember to work hard, provide _quality_ work and good customer service. Whether we work for ourselves or for an employer. Take pride in the work you do.

Not implying you don't already, Pmathkm. I just couldn't resist getting up on the soapbox.
I'm not so sure about the quality you state to be very bad. Companies who are known to hire illegals are the ones doing all the new developments here in California. They're doing a pretty damn good job of making those homes.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:37 PM

451 posts, read 310,788 times
Quote:
Like I said in another post, if you were born here, you missed all opportunites
and opted for a low skilled way of life, for these reason you have to compete with peolple with no education, and likely more motivated than you.
I'm sick of listening to the whining from people that have nothing going for them except that they are white.
I hired a local contractor for some work at my home, the guy was ripping
me off and the job quality sucked, I then fired these bumsand hired a crew of guys from Ecuador, they finished the job ahead of time with great quality
and for almost half the price.
I have no sympathy for these people that think they have the right to rip you off just because they are white, from now on I only hire migrant workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration