Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,871,147 times

Advertisements

Four Latino families being evicted from a mobile-home park because at least one family member is undocumented and doesn’t have a Social Security number filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Monday that advocates said could set a national precedent in fair-housing law.

The families, who live at the Waples Mobile Home Park in Fairfax County, say they and more than a dozen of their neighbors are being forced to move because the park’s managers are refusing to renew their leases if any resident in the household lacks proof of legal status.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...aborative_1_na

I'd be Ok with that IF the people suing were here illegally were kept under lock and key with immediate deportation when they lose the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM

28,885 posts, read 30,192,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Four Latino families being evicted from a mobile-home park because at least one family member is undocumented and doesn’t have a Social Security number filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Monday that advocates said could set a national precedent in fair-housing law.

The families, who live at the Waples Mobile Home Park in Fairfax County, say they and more than a dozen of their neighbors are being forced to move because the park’s managers are refusing to renew their leases if any resident in the household lacks proof of legal status.

I'd be Ok with that IF the people suing were here illegally were kept under lock and key with immediate deportation when they lose the case.
this ought to be interesting....
isn't it strange, how illegal, doesn't seem to mean what it is any longer....?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:04 PM

22,370 posts, read 11,895,767 times
From the article:

Rosy Giron de Reyes moved with her family to a more expensive apartment in Annandale after her landlord said her husband and 5-year-old son could stay but she would have to leave.

“It’s affected me a lot, especially economically,” Giron de Reyes said through a translator Monday outside the federal courthouse in Alexandria, where the lawsuit was filed.

She said she and her husband worked multiple jobs for years in order to save up $25,000 to afford a mobile home, which they bought three years ago and began occupying on a lot they rented from the trailer park.

At Waples, she said, she babysat for other children in her home to earn money. “Now I’ve been forced to look for other work,” she said
---------------------------------------------
Don't you just love it/sarcasm? She is whining about how she is forced to look for "other work". Never mind, that as an illegal, she isn't allowed to work in this country. I bet her childcare business wasn't licensed either.

Landlords have every right to ask for SSNs from all the adults who will be living in one of their units. They need SSNs so that the landlord can do a credit check plus a background check. Since Rosy doesn't have a SSN and is clearly not on the lease, the landlord has every right to evict her. Also, even if everybody had an SSN, a landlord has the right to not renew a lease for any reason. For example, years ago my husband and I rented an apartment. A few months before the lease was up, we got a letter from the landlord telling us that the place was going condo and if we didn't want to buy our apartment, we would have to move when the lease was up. Smaller landlords (who may just own 1 multi-family unit) have told tenants they have to move out when the lease is up because the landlord wants to rent to a friend or family member.

As for the illegal alien Rosy (who apparently has made no effort to learn English) --- cue the violins.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
From the article:

Rosy Giron de Reyes moved with her family to a more expensive apartment in Annandale after her landlord said her husband and 5-year-old son could stay but she would have to leave.

“It’s affected me a lot, especially economically,” Giron de Reyes said through a translator Monday outside the federal courthouse in Alexandria, where the lawsuit was filed.

She said she and her husband worked multiple jobs for years in order to save up $25,000 to afford a mobile home, which they bought three years ago and began occupying on a lot they rented from the trailer park.

At Waples, she said, she babysat for other children in her home to earn money. “Now I’ve been forced to look for other work,” she said
---------------------------------------------
Don't you just love it/sarcasm? She is whining about how she is forced to look for "other work". Never mind, that as an illegal, she isn't allowed to work in this country. I bet her childcare business wasn't licensed either.

Landlords have every right to ask for SSNs from all the adults who will be living in one of their units. They need SSNs so that the landlord can do a credit check plus a background check. Since Rosy doesn't have a SSN and is clearly not on the lease, the landlord has every right to evict her. Also, even if everybody had an SSN, a landlord has the right to not renew a lease for any reason. For example, years ago my husband and I rented an apartment. A few months before the lease was up, we got a letter from the landlord telling us that the place was going condo and if we didn't want to buy our apartment, we would have to move when the lease was up. Smaller landlords (who may just own 1 multi-family unit) have told tenants they have to move out when the lease is up because the landlord wants to rent to a friend or family member.

As for the illegal alien Rosy (who apparently has made no effort to learn English) --- cue the violins.
When I've rented any place in the last 10 years; I had to post up my SSN.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,875,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

That is what should happen every time and follow the Laws on the books. These Families do not belong here and have by passed laws intentionally.

That's a crime and we are paying for there needs!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,045,780 times
Amazing! With zero fear of being detained or deported, an illegal alien can walk into a Federal Court house and file a law suit.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,294,524 times
Trickier than that. The kid is legal and Hispanic and being thrown out with his mother.

They also appear to own the trailer. So does a trailer park space renter have a right to approve tenants with a criteria that hits Hispanics almost exclusively? I would think there is a very good chance the trailer park loses.

Particularly with an owned trailer.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Trickier than that. The kid is legal and Hispanic and being thrown out with his mother.

They also appear to own the trailer. So does a trailer park space renter have a right to approve tenants with a criteria that hits Hispanics almost exclusively? I would think there is a very good chance the trailer park loses.

Particularly with an owned trailer.
Uh; would an American criminal get to keep "its" property when being punished? I don't think so.

Legal Hispanic kid: when the mom's deported, she can take her kid if he's less than 18.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,414,755 times
I reserve what I truly think because if I stated it, I would be banned.

They are not special, credit checks are always done, that is a no brainer. Why so sarcastic, this is the way these people are, it is sickening.

We have created this mess, and if it does not get under control by someone who really cares about this issue, it is going to get much worse, can you imagine.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,380,459 times
Where is this? Oh, Fairfax County? I'm not surprised.

I hope they lose in court. But unfortunately, there's a chance they could get their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration