U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,137,837 times
Reputation: 6744

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Cut off most govt bennies for people under about 50 years old and, there'd be LOTS of Americans working the fields, especially if those people were "given" decent health insurance.

Seasonal workers: if talking Mexicans; legal or illegal, that supply's drying up real fast since their kind don't have big families in 2016.
I wonder if they got smarter and now are sending their kids to college, on our dollars?


Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I said immigrants. NOT illegals. We do not need them, period. The ones that are here must be dealt with somehow though. Right now, many are doing jobs that Americans won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Wages can go up, but you and I will be footing the bill. And then we will have Americans complaining that other Americans are making 25 bucks an hour doing unskilled work. It's a repeating cycle.



Lets see... Hard work in the field, with the sun beating down on you, surrounded by nothing but corns fields and dirt, or work part time at McDonalds or Walmart and collect food stamps....

And we always hear about that "one place". What about all the rest? What are they willing and able to pay for hard work?

Are Americans really willing to pay 30% more for all the food they eat? I think this wouldn't be such a bad thing, considering how fat, out of shape and unhealthy the average American has become. Maybe we do need a few more Americans out in the fields picking crops and such. Good luck convincing anyone of this though.
Notice Americans kids don't want these jobs either........even poor kids think they deserve the top job. My son works for a high end hotel as a general manager, he can't get American Hispanics, blacks or young women to work. He has taken up hiring people over 50 just to fill these positions and his employees who haven't been here long are willing to be handymen, maids and grounds keeper.


Why is it our kids find these jobs beneath them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM
 
10,882 posts, read 5,106,689 times
Reputation: 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This is why there are guest worker programs. Foreigners can apply, come in, do the work needed and then go home again. It's not that difficult and if laws like this were enforced, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Please tell me that you aware that one of the major roadblocks to any new Immigration Law is that the Democrats are against the Guest Worker Programs. The Leftists can't Unionize the Guest Workers, so they don't want them. Add to that- they wouldn't be able to pay dues or Vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 04:58 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wonder if they got smarter and now are sending their kids to college, on our dollars?



Notice Americans kids don't want these jobs either........even poor kids think they deserve the top job. My son works for a high end hotel as a general manager, he can't get American Hispanics, blacks or young women to work. He has taken up hiring people over 50 just to fill these positions and his employees who haven't been here long are willing to be handymen, maids and grounds keeper.


Why is it our kids find these jobs beneath them?
Your incidental evidence is not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 05:20 PM
 
11,547 posts, read 5,530,863 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Farmers are begging for people(Americans) to pick fruit and vegetables. One place was paying $12.00 an hour to pick weeds, not many Americans are applying for the job.


People either need to encourage their kids to begin on the low ladder and then they can go to the top, too many want top jobs, not beginning. Seasonal workers use to do these jobs, why the change?
Farmers have access to an agricultural visa program that has no caps on it. Honest farmers who use this visa program have no problems getting enough workers, thus no problems getting their crops picked.

It's the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the guest worker program, instead opting for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor who have problems when states get tough on illegals. As long as our politicians continue to turn a blind eye towards illegal immigration, sleazy farmers will continue to hire illegals.

As for Americans not applying for those jobs --- Many unemployed Americans live in urban areas and have no way to get to the fields---either because they have no transportation or unreliable transportation. Besides, considering the wear and tear that would get put on a car having to drive 2-3 hours in each direction everyday plus the cost of gas, many would find that those expenses would quickly eat up most of their paycheck.

Unless either the farmers or a charitable organization arranges for free transport, people aren't going to try for those jobs. Besides, it's seasonal work and most people are looking for year round work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 05:24 PM
 
11,547 posts, read 5,530,863 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wonder if they got smarter and now are sending their kids to college, on our dollars?



Notice Americans kids don't want these jobs either........even poor kids think they deserve the top job. My son works for a high end hotel as a general manager, he can't get American Hispanics, blacks or young women to work. He has taken up hiring people over 50 just to fill these positions and his employees who haven't been here long are willing to be handymen, maids and grounds keeper.


Why is it our kids find these jobs beneath them?
Interesting...my daughter works for a chain restaurant that uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take their jobs---even the back of the house ones. She has worked for this chain in 4 different states and never had a problem finding workers.

I've been in chain hotels that are in immigrant-heavy cities and have seen Americans cleaning the hotel rooms, along with legal immigrants. In fact, my daughter worked as a hotel maid one summer when she was in college. She also worked as a nursing home assistant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 06:18 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,304,914 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I said immigrants. NOT illegals. We do not need them, period. The ones that are here must be dealt with somehow though. Right now, many are doing jobs that Americans won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Wages can go up, but you and I will be footing the bill. And then we will have Americans complaining that other Americans are making 25 bucks an hour doing unskilled work. It's a repeating cycle.



Lets see... Hard work in the field, with the sun beating down on you, surrounded by nothing but corns fields and dirt, or work part time at McDonalds or Walmart and collect food stamps....

And we always hear about that "one place". What about all the rest? What are they willing and able to pay for hard work?

Are Americans really willing to pay 30% more for all the food they eat? I think this wouldn't be such a bad thing, considering how fat, out of shape and unhealthy the average American has become. Maybe we do need a few more Americans out in the fields picking crops and such. Good luck convincing anyone of this though.
I ain't real worried about wages for Americans going up since so many of us are making LESS money than 25 years ago after inflation.

Too; please post up a link saying how food prices would go up a lot with NO illegals to work the farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
 
25,352 posts, read 37,533,691 times
Reputation: 13272
We don't use e-verify as a brokerage works with independent agents who are licensed by the State and to obtain a license you need a SSN to apply for the course and license so that part is checked.

However when it comes to renting we do check if someone has a SSN and verify job info. If someone is self employed they need either tax returns and/or bank statements.

We did get applications from people who came to the US and just arrived and they have to show a passport and visa if they don't have US ID and the amount to be paid upfront as a security is higher.

We also got tenants applying who claim to get paid cash and their employer not able to put anything in writing so we asked for SSN card and husband did have SSN with "no valid for work" on it and wife didn't have SSN. Husband claimed to be in process for a green card and that anyone in the process always gets it approved.

Unfortunately without proof of job (legally allowed to work) we can't rent to the person so we denied them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,304,914 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We don't use e-verify as a brokerage works with independent agents who are licensed by the State and to obtain a license you need a SSN to apply for the course and license so that part is checked.

However when it comes to renting we do check if someone has a SSN and verify job info. If someone is self employed they need either tax returns and/or bank statements.

We did get applications from people who came to the US and just arrived and they have to show a passport and visa if they don't have US ID and the amount to be paid upfront as a security is higher.

We also got tenants applying who claim to get paid cash and their employer not able to put anything in writing so we asked for SSN card and husband did have SSN with "no valid for work" on it and wife didn't have SSN. Husband claimed to be in process for a green card and that anyone in the process always gets it approved.

Unfortunately without proof of job (legally allowed to work) we can't rent to the person so we denied them.
Not your problem. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
11,920 posts, read 13,270,021 times
Reputation: 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I ain't real worried about wages for Americans going up since so many of us are making LESS money than 25 years ago after inflation.

Too; please post up a link saying how food prices would go up a lot with NO illegals to work the farms.
I never made a claim concerning the deportation of illegals and the impact it would have on food prices. I'm fully in support of deporting every single last illegal, and implementing measures to secure our borders. Our national security and sovereignty is not a joke, but our elected idiots have treated it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2016, 05:07 PM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,137,837 times
Reputation: 6744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your incidental evidence is not the norm.
I truly hope you are right......I am not for illegals I would hope Americans enjoy working the fields and other jobs we are told we won't do. I have certainly seen the hotel trade turn.... from American workers to non-English speaking people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top