U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times

Advertisements

Another victim of foreclosures: day laborers

‘These are the worst of times,’ would-be worker says in Spanish

GRATON, Calif. - The most desperate men park themselves on corners well before dawn, hoping for first dibs on jobs.

Most days, no one gets dibs — no one gets jobs.

Foreclosures are at record highs, home sales are at record lows and skittish consumers are cutting back on spending, all of which means contractors, construction crews and carpenters are no longer hiring. Neither are landscapers, cleaning services or homeowners.

- MSNBC.com[/url]

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-16-2008 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Copyright infraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
If said day laborers are illegal; once California grows some balls, maybe they will be deported--------end of problem.

The legal ones I would have no problem trying to help.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,920,693 times
Illegal= GET LOST!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 PM

754 posts, read 1,282,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If said day laborers are illegal; once California grows some balls, maybe they will be deported--------end of problem.

That will never happen, unfortunately. CA is over 50% Latino, anyone who makes any waves will be voted out of office.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

That won't happen -- many of these day laborers have anchor babies here and that gets them a whole lot more in welfare handouts than working hard in Mexico would.

Likely the politicians will give them amnesty and citizenship and let them have early retirement so they can start taking our social security checks to help them through this.

If we don't allow open borders -- the Mexican government might not allow all those Walmarts going up.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Amnesty or not, as far as I'm concerned, they are now,and always will be "Illegals"!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM

14 posts, read 65,713 times
I was enjoying a vacation in Puerto Vallarta a few months ago and came accross an american working at a bar. We started talking and I asked how he got that job, he said the owner needed someone who could mix drinks and speak english to the patrons, and since he was a bartender in L.A. he was hired. My next question was, are you allowed to work here, "legally"?, he said no, but nobody cares, and I was the first one who asked that. So there I said to myself, a verified "Illegal redneck" in Mexico, they'll probably cancel his visa, oops I caught myself, no visa required to enter Mexico, maybe they'll force him to learn spanish, wrong again, the patrons speak english and so does his boss. I am sure they will make him pay taxes, all the $60/year, that will teach him, and if he has children here with a Mexican mamacita, the government will cover most of the cost, I hope they don't let that "anchor baby" become a Mexican citizen and he has to take him back to the US to be educated, that will certainly teach him. Finally it occurred to me, he is not ripping off mexico, he is ripping off the US, working and living on the cheap, not paying (US) taxes while enjoying the benefits of a US citizenship.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Mexico has birthright citizenship I believe.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
I read an article today saying that Blacks and Latinos lost a combined total of $164 Billion due to the sub-prime mortgage crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration