U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I know it doesn't thats why multi-lingual schools don't work. I'm not talking about multi-lingual schools, I'm talking about ELD classes where the teacher speaks Spanish to kids as a last resort to those that don't understand a concept.
Point taken; that I can understand and respect.

Your English is top drawer as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Point taken; that I can understand and respect.

Your English is top drawer as it is.
Took them almost six years to realize this, despite many vocal tests, written tests. It wasn't until I passed my exit exam with flying colors did they understand they were wrong and I was right.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,045,476 times
This are the same people also don't believe the basic school schedule should apply to them either. By all means, no need to actually follow the rules when your in the country illegally to begin with.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This are the same people also don't believe the basic school schedule should apply to them either. By all means, no need to actually follow the rules when your in the country illegally to begin with.
Thats why most lay low, they avoid trouble altogether.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:35 PM

407 posts, read 715,076 times
Quote:
Thats why most lay low, they avoid trouble altogether.
Yeah, I guess that protesting out in the middle of major cities' streets could be considered laying low by some.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
What about the children of legal Latin American immigrants? It would be good to have one regular english class and one multi-lingual class where the teacher teaches the kids in English and Spanish when they don't understand. I know schools get more money from the state providing ELD classes. Believe it or not I was in one of those classes because of my last name. Nevermind I've been living in the U.S my ENTIRE life and had a flawless American accent.
I see absolutely no excuse for them either.

Did those legal LA immigrants fail to realize ahead of time what the language is in the USA?

If I were planning to relocate my family to Germany or France or any other non-English speaking country, I would have them in language classes before packing up to leave.

Nothing stops those parents from properly preparing their families for the big move except their own laziness and lack of motivation. They can enroll their children in private language schools, after school programs or whatever -- but they prefer to dump their responsibility on the American taxpayers. But really -- why should we have to pay for their free language classes?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
They should learn English at their OWN expense after 5th grade. If the public schools didn't have to pay for ESL in high schools alone, think about what the schools could do with that $$$$.
I used to have legal Mexican immigrants as next-door neighbors. They spoke Spanish in the home, they realized their son would be at a disadvantage if he didn't know English -- so they enrolled him in a private English speaking preschool.

I felt sorry for the little boy at first because he didn't understand the other kids or the teachers, the school lacked a "bilingual" program -- within 3 months that little boy was speaking English quite fluently. The teachers said at first he would just sit quietly -- not speaking to anyone but playing alongside the other kids and imitating what others did -- so he knew when to go outside to play and when to come in just by following the others. But in 3 months time he was chatting away freely.

I admire people with a bit of motivation and self-reliance. These neighbors could have chosen a free Head Start babysitting program that would have kept their son speaking Spanish but they like true immigrants realized that to succeed, you must assimilate and learn the language.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
Quote:
What about the children of legal Latin American immigrants? It would be good to have one regular english class and one multi-lingual class where the teacher teaches the kids in English and Spanish when they don't understand. I know schools get more money from the state providing ELD classes. Believe it or not I was in one of those classes because of my last name. Nevermind I've been living in the U.S my ENTIRE life and had a flawless American accent.
When my grandmother left Norway, she knew very little English. My grandfather (her husband) emigrated from Sweden. His English was minimal as well.

They had five children. Not one of those children grew up knowing more than a few words in either Swedish or Norwegian, not even enough to string a sentence together. English was the only language spoken in their home.

My grandparents knew that it was vital that their children speak English. They realized that in order for their children to prosper in America, they had to BE Americans. Both of my grandparents struggled to learn English so that their children would never be at a disadvantage in this country.

Learning a language is not rocket science. Within a few semesters, I learned enough French to be able to read the language as well as understand and make myself understood by native French speakers. I could live in France right now and get around quite nicely.

However, you have to want to learn. By making everything bilingual, i.e.; education, written materials, television, etc., you take away the need to assimilate and that is where this entire debate goes right off the tracks.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Yeah, I guess that protesting out in the middle of major cities' streets could be considered laying low by some.
Then again, we don't know if they're illegal or not. Sure there is bound to be some, but it might be their pro-illegal cousins who are U.S citizens.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
When my grandmother left Norway, she knew very little English. My grandfather (her husband) emigrated from Sweden. His English was minimal as well.

They had five children. Not one of those children grew up knowing more than a few words in either Swedish or Norwegian, not even enough to string a sentence together. English was the only language spoken in their home.

My grandparents knew that it was vital that their children speak English. They realized that in order for their children to prosper in America, they had to BE Americans. Both of my grandparents struggled to learn English so that their children would never be at a disadvantage in this country.

Learning a language is not rocket science. Within a few semesters, I learned enough French to be able to read the language as well as understand and make myself understood by native French speakers. I could live in France right now and get around quite nicely.

However, you have to want to learn. By making everything bilingual, i.e.; education, written materials, television, etc., you take away the need to assimilate and that is where this entire debate goes right off the tracks.
That is an attitude that has recently changed. American born Jessica Alba is half Mexican. Her Grandpa didn't want his children to speak Spanish in order for them to become Americans. Now, Hispanic immigrants have grown accustomed to the catering that the U.S provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration