Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil leftist dogma View Post
It amazes me that so many people are so hateful toward "illegal immigrants" who are in this situation.

She has an American family. It is a special kind of person to blindly apply the law without giving consideration as to why there is a law in the first place. Was this law put in place to take mothers or fathers or husbands or wives away from their families? What kind of society are we if this is a correct application of the law? To all you conservatives who stress "family values" and the "family image"- how can you justify this being a prudent step in the right direction?
And if you're really concerned about families being split, or husbands and wives being sent to live away from their families, you need to do something about Obama sending troops which include married people or parents, all the way to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Why is it so much more politically correct to cry and wring your hands over only one kind of family being split, but when it comes to an American wife or kids saying good bye to a husband headed to Afghanistan it's nothing but dry eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
It amazes me that so many people are so hateful toward "illegal immigrants" who are in this situation.

She has an American family. It is a special kind of person to blindly apply the law without giving consideration as to why there is a law in the first place. Was this law put in place to take mothers or fathers or husbands or wives away from their families? What kind of society are we if this is a correct application of the law? To all you conservatives who stress "family values" and the "family image"- how can you justify this being a prudent step in the right direction?
What amazes me are the excuses used to justify illegal immigrants and their actions. This isn't about hate. Its about right and wrong. We have a valid system in place that is far more fair than most. Illegals make a choice to ignore our standing system. They also are making the choice to accept what will happen when caught. In short they are all 100% of them criminals and cheats. Further more we as a nation need to be selective about who we welcome into our country. Do we need anymore criminals and cheats? I think not for criminals and cheats are products we don't seem to have any problem producing on our own.
Their first statement upon entering is to hell with you and your laws.. That says it all.
Some folks worry about the feelings and needs of illegals. I worry about the needs of my country as a whole.
I am for legal immigration and the diversity that it fosters. But I want immigrants who will contribute, add, and possibly improve my country. Not immigrants who feel that we somehow owe them a life. Not someone who feels that they are entitled to special treatment. I damn sure don't want to add known liars cheats and criminals to our population, and that is exactly what 100% of all illegals are.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
A woman whose children go to the same school as my kids was telling us at a school event that her husband was deported for his 3rd DWI. She wasn't even sad about it, she said he was causing the family too much problems with his drinking and she takes the kids over to see him every Sunday but the home is calmer without him living there.

Another woman I know of who was deported for shoplifting and welfare fraud -- actually she wasn't deported, she skipped bail because she was guilty of those crimes and didn't want to show up to court, also has a husband and kids who live on the USA side and go over to visit her and bring her money.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:34 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
<< stated she had come back after being deported and spent 2 wks in Mesa>>

Ok, I think this is where the 10 year ban comes in. Reentering illegally after being deported is a felony, as someone stated, thus she's a felon, and her 10 year ban reflects that.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:43 PM

122 posts, read 150,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think you should lecture the husband and kids of this woman. Rather than stay together, they stay here while she's sent home. Why? Most likely money.

You should ask what kind of family would prefer money over their own loved one? It's not much of a family in this case.

There are fiance visas, there is a legal process already in place to bring in a spouse legally.
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that the man probably needs to keep his job in order to support his family? Right now, he's making money here and sending it to his family in Mexico, which means that money is leaving the US economy. Awesome.

I know all about the K-1 visa and the legal route to go. Breaking a draconic immigration law should not mean splitting up a family no matter which way you slice it- and to be so jaded and inconsiderate by suggesting the American father give up his job and go to Mexico where there may not be any work for him and risk him and his family starving... are you even human? That's some really messed up thinking. God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in their shoes.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that the man probably needs to keep his job in order to support his family? Right now, he's making money here and sending it to his family in Mexico, which means that money is leaving the US economy. Awesome.

I know all about the K-1 visa and the legal route to go. Breaking a draconic immigration law should not mean splitting up a family no matter which way you slice it- and to be so jaded and inconsiderate by suggesting the American father give up his job and go to Mexico where there may not be any work for him and risk him and his family starving... are you even human? That's some really messed up thinking. God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in their shoes.
Oh well.

The man should have thought about that prior to dallying with a criminal AKA an illegal alien.

Besides: what about the spouses of US citizens who break the law, get caught and wind up in the hoosegow? I see no reason to cut the spouse of an illegal any more slack vs. one of a common criminal.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And if you're really concerned about families being split, or husbands and wives being sent to live away from their families, you need to do something about Obama sending troops which include married people or parents, all the way to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Why is it so much more politically correct to cry and wring your hands over only one kind of family being split, but when it comes to an American wife or kids saying good bye to a husband headed to Afghanistan it's nothing but dry eyes.
Uhm, this isn't even close to being on topic and it's not even close to being the same situation. But even so, would your advice be that we send the wives and children over to Iraq and Afghanistan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What amazes me are the excuses used to justify illegal immigrants and their actions. This isn't about hate. Its about right and wrong. We have a valid system in place that is far more fair than most. Illegals make a choice to ignore our standing system. They also are making the choice to accept what will happen when caught. In short they are all 100% of them criminals and cheats. Further more we as a nation need to be selective about who we welcome into our country. Do we need anymore criminals and cheats? I think not for criminals and cheats are products we don't seem to have any problem producing on our own.
Their first statement upon entering is to hell with you and your laws.. That says it all.
Some folks worry about the feelings and needs of illegals. I worry about the needs of my country as a whole.
I am for legal immigration and the diversity that it fosters. But I want immigrants who will contribute, add, and possibly improve my country. Not immigrants who feel that we somehow owe them a life. Not someone who feels that they are entitled to special treatment. I damn sure don't want to add known liars cheats and criminals to our population, and that is exactly what 100% of all illegals are.
That's why so many illegal immigrants join the military. That's why so many illegal immigrants go to church, pay taxes, and own businesses. It's their way of spitting in the face of the founding fathers, right?

What needs to happen is the system needs to be fixed because it's broken. When our great grandfathers came over here by boat, all you had to do was speak English and be willing to work to build the country. Now you need tens of thousands of dollars, a lawyer, and years of waiting, as well as a lot of luck.

If the founding fathers were here today, they would be shocked and mortified by this situation. They were proud of the possibilities of America, because it was a nation free of persecution and oppression. What, exactly, do you call tearing apart a family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Oh well.

The man should have thought about that prior to dallying with a criminal AKA an illegal alien.

Besides: what about the spouses of US citizens who break the law, get caught and wind up in the hoosegow? I see no reason to cut the spouse of an illegal any more slack vs. one of a common criminal.
There's a huge difference between breaking a restrictive immigration law and doing actual harm to people. Laws are meant to protect people. This isn't protecting anyone. And your lack of compassion is really quite disgusting.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I think it makes a big difference whether the person is here legally, or illegally, when they marry.

As for citizenship, after 2 years of marriage (done legally) and proof of a household in common, the person can apply for citizenship. Then they must take the test, and if they pass, and there are no other legal obstacles, they become citizens.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I think it makes a big difference whether the person is here legally, or illegally, when they marry.

As for citizenship, after 2 years of marriage (done legally) and proof of a household in common, the person can apply for citizenship. Then they must take the test, and if they pass, and there are no other legal obstacles, they become citizens.
I agree that the legal way is not very hard, in fact it's much easier to marry someone and move here legally. You can get your K-1 visa, work as soon as you land, get married within 90 days, continue to work until you apply for citizenship, and everything is fine.

If that isn't done, I still don't think that deportation is the right thing unless the person in question has done something truly wrong. Not just violating a law that itself violates the spirit of why America exists today.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:03 PM

<<I know of several people who have been able to get permanent residency after they got married, and they were here illegally, but they were visa overstays, not border crossers.>>

Perhaps they were here legally when they married, and their visas didn't expire until after the marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration