Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,375,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maythompson View Post
I personally do not care if anyone throws me a farewell party or not. The point is that children born of A U.S. born citizen will eventually come back to the U.S.A and will be angry that their parents were in fact exiled for years and years. One cannot know what thier reactions will be. My fiancee has the ten year bar (if you came to the U.S. illegally and stayed longer than one year you are subject to this law)and we are trying to have that lifted. I have already paid $7000.00 in legal fees and this is just the beginning. I figure the whole process will cost at least $12,000 and over eighteen months to know if the INS will pardon him. I do not expect anyone to feel sorry for me. If this doesnt work I will be back with him in the U.S. In Ten years anyhow. By the way my money came from hard work and luck.
This post is hard to understand whether your legal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,364,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maythompson View Post
I personally do not care if anyone throws me a farewell party or not. The point is that children born of A U.S. born citizen will eventually come back to the U.S.A and will be angry that their parents were in fact exiled for years and years. One cannot know what thier reactions will be. My fiancee has the ten year bar (if you came to the U.S. illegally and stayed longer than one year you are subject to this law)and we are trying to have that lifted. I have already paid $7000.00 in legal fees and this is just the beginning. I figure the whole process will cost at least $12,000 and over eighteen months to know if the INS will pardon him. I do not expect anyone to feel sorry for me. If this doesnt work I will be back with him in the U.S. In Ten years anyhow. By the way my money came from hard work and luck.
LOL, I'm sorry but do you think that the US cares about the children of US citizens who have left the US by choice to live with people who were here illegally? If these kids don't understand how to stay within the law then maybe they would be better staying out of the US. Coming back here will be a hard time for them sense we expect people to be law abiding.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM

103 posts, read 261,138 times
Mexico has laws that are more strict than the US, so why would the children have a problem with US laws?
Nice try at getting sympathy.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 122,779 times
I have worked at the INS as an interpreter, so I know a great deal about immigration law. Therefore:

The ignorance reflected by these comments astounds me. I highly doubt any of your great-great grandparents came here legally, but rather took the land from the Native Americans because they felt they were a superior race. I personally am ashamed of what my forefathers did. "Give me your poor, your tired masses..." what a joke. No one wants the Mexicans to have an opportunity to "breathe free."

Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

This does not excuse illegal immigration, but it does explain why it happens. These people are not hoping to become lawbreakers. Why do you all look at them as if they enjoyed being criminals? Do you think they are less of a human being than yourselves?

Also, Mexico has its own laws about admitting Americans as residents. There are high financial requirements that are tough to meet if the couple does not have money stashed away somewhere, and the American living there cannot work for the first five years. For the Mexican spouse who can work, the job pays maybe $10 per day.

It's nice to know that in my country there are so many hard, unsympathetic people who think only Americans deserve a good life. After all, evidently we're the only people who matter.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that.

When two people get married, they can use their own country's passports and national identification cards as identification. When two illegal immigrants choose to marry on U.S. soil, that's what they use. Ridiculous to suggest that they are not legally married. What kind of idiot would use a false document to get married? Give them a little credit, por favor.

I think that breaking the law is wrong, whatever law it is. I also think that a ten-year sentence for simply having crossed the border without permission is extreme. If the immigrant has committed a host of other crimes, perhaps. But all the ones for whom I have interpreted pay their taxes, and not with a fake SSN, either, but with an ITIN. I think a ten-year sentence encourages couples like these to not apply but rather to continue to have the spouse here illegally so as to not suffer a ten-year separation.

Aren't some of you bellowing on about how they ought to try to become legal? And isn't that what these couples are trying to do? The "you should have thought of that" reasoning is pretty stupid. No one raised in Mexico in poverty ever thinks that they are going to marry an American someday, and until they get here, they don't see the consequences of their actions. They are raised to believe that when you grow up, you go to the U.S. to work, and that getting a visa is only for the rich.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post
I have worked at the INS as an interpreter, so I know a great deal about immigration law. Therefore:

The ignorance reflected by these comments astounds me. I highly doubt any of your great-great grandparents came here legally, but rather took the land from the Native Americans because they felt they were a superior race. I personally am ashamed of what my forefathers did. "Give me your poor, your tired masses..." what a joke. No one wants the Mexicans to have an opportunity to "breathe free."

Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

This does not excuse illegal immigration, but it does explain why it happens. These people are not hoping to become lawbreakers. Why do you all look at them as if they enjoyed being criminals? Do you think they are less of a human being than yourselves?

Also, Mexico has its own laws about admitting Americans as residents. There are high financial requirements that are tough to meet if the couple does not have money stashed away somewhere, and the American living there cannot work for the first five years. For the Mexican spouse who can work, the job pays maybe $10 per day.

It's nice to know that in my country there are so many hard, unsympathetic people who think only Americans deserve a good life. After all, evidently we're the only people who matter.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that.

When two people get married, they can use their own country's passports and national identification cards as identification. When two illegal immigrants choose to marry on U.S. soil, that's what they use. Ridiculous to suggest that they are not legally married. What kind of idiot would use a false document to get married? Give them a little credit, por favor.

I think that breaking the law is wrong, whatever law it is. I also think that a ten-year sentence for simply having crossed the border without permission is extreme. If the immigrant has committed a host of other crimes, perhaps. But all the ones for whom I have interpreted pay their taxes, and not with a fake SSN, either, but with an ITIN. I think a ten-year sentence encourages couples like these to not apply but rather to continue to have the spouse here illegally so as to not suffer a ten-year separation.

Aren't some of you bellowing on about how they ought to try to become legal? And isn't that what these couples are trying to do? The "you should have thought of that" reasoning is pretty stupid. No one raised in Mexico in poverty ever thinks that they are going to marry an American someday, and until they get here, they don't see the consequences of their actions. They are raised to believe that when you grow up, you go to the U.S. to work, and that getting a visa is only for the rich.
Adopt and enforce Mexico's laws concerning immigration; legal as well as illegal------problem solved

BTW: the Spaniards not only conquered the Aztecs, etc. the indigenous people there embraced Hispanic culture.

If us putative 'Europeans' need to leave the New World; so do the Hispanics and, to be fair, the Navajos need to leave as well------the last group arrived ca. 1000 AD.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post

I'm feeling something similar about your comments. You and people like you realize that you can't support breaking the law so you make this about race, when it really is about people breaking the law, pure and simple.

AND having been married to an Englishman who came here legally, I am aware of what it takes to come here legally. If you can't come here and live by our laws, then don't come here. We have enough of our own problems.

You will find the answer to this after you have lived in Mexico for a little while, its their culture. The police are as corrupt there as any criminals we have here. People wonder why the drug trade coming from Mexico can't be beaten back, the answer is the police are behind much of it.

Interesting, Mexico wants their people to be able to come here for NOTHING but it can't be the other way around.

I think people need to obey the law. You choose to marry someone you KNEW was breaking the law. That was YOUR choice. Thats like standing in the rain and crying for sympathy when you get wet.

I only meant that if a person is here illegally, they should NOT be able to marry or get a license, or anything else that would further enmesh their lives with the US.

Your kidding me right? They use illegal documents to do everything else, they steal identities, use other peoples SSNs, its time the US shut down the ability of illegals to marry in the US.

You speak of us being ignorant but you work for INS and you married an illegal alien? Exactly what is your excuse, you knew the laws I presume? Yet you married anyway?

AND are you honestly suggesting that illegals of whatever race don't steal identities? Thats just not true. They do it all the time. Because they are here illegally, they know they can break the law, we have no real idea of who they are, they can flee the states and not suffer anything.

Enjoy Mexico for 10 years, you made your bed, no you can lenjoy laying in it.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,375,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You speak of us being ignorant but you work for INS and you married an illegal alien? Exactly what is your excuse, you knew the laws I presume? Yet you married anyway?

AND are you honestly suggesting that illegals of whatever race don't steal identities? Thats just not true. They do it all the time. Because they are here illegally, they know they can break the law, we have no real idea of who they are, they can flee the states and not suffer anything.

Enjoy Mexico for 10 years, you made your bed, no you can lenjoy laying in it.
I'll second that motion.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,347,419 times
> Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that. <

First of all, INS doesn't exist anymore. It's United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) under Homeland Security.

A fiancee visa (former K1) would have cost $100.00 or less. It used to be the U.S. Embassy in the country of the applicant would charge whatever that country would charge one of our citizens, reciprocal. In 2008 fees were raised and now $131.00 but I didn't read everything because I'm not that interested. I just know that it is cheap and not difficult if you don't mind getting paperwork together and following directions.

Being married has made it more expensive but not near what you have implied.

"Petition to classify status of alien relative for issuance of immigrant visa, select USCIS, Form I-130 for fees and form.

Petition for Alien Relative

Purpose of Form :
For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident."

Filing Fee :
$355

Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
> Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that. <

First of all, INS doesn't exist anymore. It's United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) under Homeland Security.

A fiancee visa (former K1) would have cost $100.00 or less. It used to be the U.S. Embassy in the country of the applicant would charge whatever that country would charge one of our citizens, reciprocal. In 2008 fees were raised and now $131.00 but I didn't read everything because I'm not that interested. I just know that it is cheap and not difficult if you don't mind getting paperwork together and following directions.

"Petition to classify status of alien relative for issuance of immigrant visa, select USCIS, Form I-130 for fees and form.

Purpose of Form :
For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident."

Filing Fee :
$355
And; a coyote (even the 'honorable' ones who do not hurt their clients) charges about ten times as much ($3,000+) to spirit a person across the border illegally.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post

Purpose of Form :

Filing Fee :
$355
I was married to an Englishman so YES I do know. Sorry but that doesn't hold any weight with me AND I can tell you once someone is dragged in front of a judge, their excuse to the judge being "Oh man it was just too expensive to obey the law", isn't going to hold much weight.

It shows a complete and total disregard for our laws and a desire to come here to take advantage of a system they WANT something from but are unwilling to respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration