U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
 
402 posts, read 921,623 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
And you keep responding...LOL!

I guess you're doing it again, too! ...LOL!!!1111oneoneone

Have fun bathing in you're () sea of ignorance...LOL!!!!
Yes, you are right.

 
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Yes, you are right.
Let me ask you something. Serious question. A bit of introspection may be required.

Is your opinion on illegal immigration influenced by your understanding of economics (and other areas), whether such understanding is flawed or accurate...

...or, is your understanding of economics and other fields influenced by your opinion on illegal immigration?

I ask because I have witnessed many educated supporters of illegal immigration make grossly erroneous statements about many subjects, which are nothing more than rationalizations for their support of illegal immigration. Indeed, these people will contradict themselves. Case in point: The one we are discussing concerning inflation.

Left-wing liberals typically support both illegal immigration and raising the minimum wage. On one hand, they will (correctly) claim that raising the minimum wage will not affect inflation, yet on the other hand, they claim that raising wages by eliminating illegal immigration will cause inflation. Just a tad contradictory, don't you think?

What I see in your words - not necessarily saying this is how you feel, but I've seen it many times before - is a refusal to admit to certain accepted facts because by doing so, one would lose a talking point in favor of illegal immigration. It's somewhat similar to cognitive dissonance, and I see it all the time from the pro-illegal side.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 02-29-2008 at 02:15 PM..
 
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I agree that we should stop illegal immigrants in this country. But it is just not Supply and Demand that determine our economy. Maybe this was just a blank statement, but you left out several other critical factors such as cost of doing business and competition.
Yes, you're right. There are plenty more factors than that. I didn't want to bore people with another few paragraphs though lol Supply and demand is definitely one of the most important elements though. As we become more involved in the global market everyday as the Chinese and others obviously do too, we'll feel the effects of plenty of things that our country never felt. Money means more than our flag to these big companies and the Fed believes solving the problem is by just fixing what happens within our lines - which isn't smart for the long run, just like be overpopulated.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Supply and demand SET PRICE. SET PRICE. Say it over and over until it sinks in.

Of course there are other factors that "determine our economy," whatever that means. That wasn't your original claim, however. Your original claim was that cost of production sets price. It doesn't.
Agreed. Supply and demand is most indicative of price. It's not to say there aren't key sub-reasons to how supply and demand works like peoples levels of confidence, fear, economic situations and things of that nature - but it's all apart of the same thing. Plenty of other factors do effect our economy - especially globally though - like our currency.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Please read your own words. COMPETITION TO EARN A PROFIT. COMPETITION TO GROW.

Next time you talk with these people, ask them if their employees ever receive wage increases. Then ask them if the price of their products goes up every time they give raises.

I'm done, as you apparently can't grasp the simple economic principle of price, supply and demand.
That's not a bad point, but do you not believe he already knows about wages? He's said he's worked in that line of work, so I'm sure he knows. There is a lot that goes into economics as a whole. Probably too much for what anyone wants to hear. Especially on something that's sort of irrelevant to the board. It's okay to mention it, but let's stay away from getting too into details. We could always create another thread for that.

''I'm done, as you apparently can't grasp the simple economic principle of price, supply and demand.'''

Okay, the next time you or anyone else calls me ''condescending'' - you just just refer back to this. Relax. We're talking about economics and immigration and we all aren't even that different in what we think or believe. You don't have to indirectly attempt to belittle him to convey your ''point'' about how you think he's not acknowledging upon economics.

I know I can come off as pressing upon my views sometimes, but I think it's fair to say I've laid off a little bit. I don't look to put down people's individual skills or intelligence levels in certain subjects. That isn't the right thing to do. It's not to say I don't societally criticize elements of our's and other's socieites, as I'm sure you do too - but that's just something all of us do.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Shut off all water, electric and the roads to this town and it will soon wake up.
Jail the mayor and all leaders for being traitors and arrest anyone who speaks out against it. Time to stop the madness.
I say let them do what they want. What's the big deal? It has no nation influence. As I said in one of my previous posts, the United States primary and only language for U.S. born citizens not because we love the English language, but rather than we couldn't handle learning another one. For everything that seems bound to change or fall apart in this country, I think it's safe to say our linguistics aren't the problem. Countries nowadays don't go from English to non-English. They do it visa versa.

No one is going to ''jail'' the mayor lol Come on now. Where in the constitution does it say things about protecting the English language - especially against the Spanish language? If anything, I'd take it that the Constitution was a complete opposition and challenge to anything with the word English (not linguistics) period. This is apart of their constitutional rights. People voted this into place. Do you really not believe English is the primary language though? They still are apart of the state of Texas and the United States. Even in their little town I guarantee you that Math teacher's in grade schools are still approach their students in English.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I have another "fanatic" like you, but religion, on a seperate thread that I am ignoring. The most important thing for you is to prove someone wrong no matter what they say.

This is why in a bar I don't discuss religion, politics....there is just no win/win with some pple...I rather enjoy life. View/opinions are great and welcome, but at somepoint to belabor, over and over....just not fun for me. This is not an insult to you...I maybe entirely wrong, but this what I feel and think...

I am sure that others might be tired of "us" as I am of this conversation. I am moving on.

'' I think pple like you have some type of resentment problem and/or "I have to be right" syndrome. ''

You're right. I'm sure all of us got a little bit of that in us, but that's why we have to keep ourselves in check. He always tries saying that same exact statement to me. Honestly, you could say your wrong throughout a whole entire post and than just screw with him by saying not like Borat and he'd probably still try to belittle you lol Hopefully that smiley face gave him a smile.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Economics isn't subject to what you feel and think. Stop feeling and thinking and start reading.

It's not a matter of me being right. I already know I'm right. It is you who can't admit error.

I point out errors to protect the integrity of the discussion and to prevent other people who may be ignorant of economics from accepting falsehoods, such as those that you have stated. Though you will probably not admit error nor educate yourself, others reading this may do so. It's for them, not you.

When one side is correct and the other in error, it's a win/lose situation. You can "feel and think" that being wrong results in a win/win, but again, you would be in error.

Take your "theory" to an economics professor, and when he corrects you, call him a fanatic. I'd pay to see the professor's reaction.
''Economics isn't subject to what you feel and think'' = true
''Stop feeling and thinking and start reading'' = not necessary
''I already know I'm right.'' - A little too sure of sure of your self. And I'm not just talking about this quote and this thread.

''I point out errors to protect the integrity of the discussion and to prevent other people who may be ignorant of economics from accepting falsehoods, such as those that you have stated.''

That isn't your job. That's what the moderators are for It's one thing to have an argument, but now you want to seem like a teacher that's embarrassing a student.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Let me ask you something. Serious question. A bit of introspection may be required.

Is your opinion on illegal immigration influenced by your understanding of economics (and other areas), whether such understanding is flawed or accurate...

...or, is your understanding of economics and other fields influenced by your opinion on illegal immigration?

I ask because I have witnessed many educated supporters of illegal immigration make grossly erroneous statements about many subjects, which are nothing more than rationalizations for their support of illegal immigration. Indeed, these people will contradict themselves. Case in point: The one we are discussing concerning inflation.

Left-wing liberals typically support both illegal immigration and raising the minimum wage. On one hand, they will (correctly) claim that raising the minimum wage will not affect inflation, yet on the other hand, they claim that raising wages by eliminating illegal immigration will cause inflation. Just a tad contradictory, don't you think?

What I see in your words - not necessarily saying this is how you feel, but I've seen it many times before - is a refusal to admit to certain accepted facts because by doing so, one would lose a talking point in favor of illegal immigration. It's somewhat similar to cognitive dissonance, and I see it all the time from the pro-illegal side.
''I ask because I have witnessed many educated supporters of illegal immigration make grossly erroneous statements about many subjects, which are nothing more than rationalizations for their support of illegal immigration.''

I hope you weren't indirectly referring to myself, because I'm not ''pro-illegal.'' Just like when people say their pro-choice (which I am too), they're not saying they like abortions. They're just saying it's a person's choice, not the government's. Besides, it'd prevent people from going in back alleys bleeding to death. Just because your rational in your belief on illegal immigration doesn't mean your pro illegal. If it were up to myself and plenty of Democrats, we would prefer that illegal immigrants don't stay. However, we don't see it as physically possible.

''Left-wing liberals typically support both illegal immigration and raising the minimum wage.''

Most ''left-wing liberals'' are not where near actually getting paid minimum wage. Most only support illegal immigration because they think it will leave a positive feel in the immigrant community that will eventually acquire the right to vote and that Latin American descendants will vote in their favor too. They do it as a way to acquire votes, even though the strategy doesn't always seem to work. Most who actually do legally immigrate here and eventually do acquire voting privileges could care less if illegal immigrants stay.

However, conservatives and Republicans who's leaders are rarely the all religious people they attempt to relate to aren't no better. They think relating to southerners, mid-westerners, Texans and who ever else will acquire them more votes - and it does. But it also pushes others away. That's why they've gotten that reputation of being an ''all-white'' out of touch group. I wouldn't say being called a conservative is any more a compliment, insult or anything than being a liberal - so stop trying to make it sound that way.

No one is in favor of illegal immigration. When you say it like that you make it sound as if liberals actually are encouraging people to walk across the border. Honestly, I believe our whole government is in favor of that practice to acquire an excess middle-class population and larger military - not just conservatives or liberals.
 
Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
 
402 posts, read 921,623 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
'' I think pple like you have some type of resentment problem and/or "I have to be right" syndrome. ''

You're right. I'm sure all of us got a little bit of that in us, but that's why we have to keep ourselves in check. He always tries saying that same exact statement to me. Honestly, you could say your wrong throughout a whole entire post and than just screw with him by saying not like Borat and he'd probably still try to belittle you lol Hopefully that smiley face gave him a smile.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top