Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

418 posts, read 367,206 times

Advertisements

Well, it should be encouraged that all American adapt to some sort of bilingualism, even if it isn't Spanish. It makes you more intelligent. It feels like more than half of Germany, Spain, Italy and France speak fluent or near-fluent English. I know English is more universal than Spanish, but it's just for the sake that it makes you a more intelligent person. It helps allow you to be more versatile in communicating with customers in sales especially.

No one should have to learn another language, but it should be highly recommended. And what ever style it is we're using - basicly learning baby sentences in high school, how far would this really go? If these Mexican immigrants want to live in their box in southern Texas where they're economically behind most of the United States, than it doesn't really matter. They don't need an official categorization. This county is a lot larger than El Cenizo or the whole Laredo area.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,653 times
some of you kinda missed the point of the situation !

An American town, under the watch of George Bush, said that a language not English would be the official language of government of that town.
Had any American town attempted to make English the official language of that government, the PC crowd and the EEOC crowd would have been on them like a duck on a bug.
Recent example, ..........how about the shop owner in Baltimore I believe it was tha advised his customers to order in ENGLISH..........
Hell tha made cnn, tnn, ann, abc nbc, cbs and a whole lot of tv stations I dont even care about...................
Thats the point.....................
And I see people are defending that town decision as a good thing.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Not a problem.

Shut the town down, cut off all fed funding with my tax dollar, cut off all power and water and stop all trucks from going in or out of the town.

People can leave if they want not to be a part of this crap.

ENGLISH is our language, I don't even want to hear any other language.

It's time we stop this stuff before it even goes further. We now have to read the sticking spanish on MY mcDonalds menu, its on MY bank, its on my cell phone, press 1 press 2. Its on MY television. Stop it now.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
some of you kinda missed the point of the situation !

An American town, under the watch of George Bush, said that a language not English would be the official language of government of that town.
Had any American town attempted to make English the official language of that government, the PC crowd and the EEOC crowd would have been on them like a duck on a bug.
Recent example, ..........how about the shop owner in Baltimore I believe it was tha advised his customers to order in ENGLISH..........
Hell tha made cnn, tnn, ann, abc nbc, cbs and a whole lot of tv stations I dont even care about...................
Thats the point.....................
And I see people are defending that town decision as a good thing.
Listen, this is all a bunch of garbage either way. No one is going to sit here and pamper immigrants needs. It's part of their obligation to learning our language and struggling when voluntarily immigrating here. You could make the argument for anyone going to anywhere all over the world. They should be gracious if they are helped, as most are. This isn't the people doing it though. This is the government promoting the diversity bull crap factor. It doesn't work and this won't work.

All this is doing is acknowledging that English isn't the only spoken language. It's making assimilation worse on the immigrants. Who cares though? Regardless, English will continue to be the core language regardless of what they establish as an official language. Surely, they might say that Spanish is the official language in this town - but it's the second one. The media - like that article, just tries juicing it up by leaving out the fact that English is also and that it is official a bilingual zone, just to allow the imaginations of people like us go rampid.

Regardless of who was to be president, the same thing would happen. Believe me, plenty of American town that are predominantly American born are doing much worse under the watch of George Bush. Ask Iraqi soldiers families in areas like Flint, Michigan that.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Not a problem.

Shut the town down, cut off all fed funding with my tax dollar, cut off all power and water and stop all trucks from going in or out of the town.

People can leave if they want not to be a part of this crap.

ENGLISH is our language, I don't even want to hear any other language.

It's time we stop this stuff before it even goes further. We now have to read the sticking spanish on MY mcDonalds menu, its on MY bank, its on my cell phone, press 1 press 2. Its on MY television. Stop it now.
This is a business decision. This is something voluntarily done. Spanish is given as a perk, nothing more. It's not the official language. It could never even come close to that, because quite frankly - Americans are too stupid and unintellectual to handle bilingualism. And most Latin American immigrants aren't educated enough to properly teach a continuance of the Spanish language or for their children to do so with their children. Plus, people mix too - which means no more language. Those immigrants are screwed. However, when their children and grandchildren are American as pie - the problem will naturally go away itself.

Recently, a problem went on with a sign in Philadelphia on a place called Geno's Steaks. He did it because the other notable place across the street - Pat's, hired immigrants. Philadelphia isn't necessarily the most immigrated city - it's pretty much just dry cut black and white, so the problem isn't accelerated. It's the idea though that stirred this. That was ill-intentioned, similarly to the situation in Baltimore (which also has few immigrants - and a very low Latin American population). So this doesn't work either.

The government doesn't need to enforce anything. These problems naturally go away on their own. That would just egg it on. America is an only English speaking country, but we don't need to say or pride ourselves in that respect. It makes us look unintellectual and stupid. We should embrace more foreign languages - not just Spanish, as we should a lot of other things - like Math and Science. We don't thought, so we complain like little babies when our crappy system is possibly being teetered. Don't worry, none of this has the potential to go anywhere - not because they love English, but because it's all they can handle. If you're angry, be angry at those businesses. And if I were an immigrant to and wasn't so consumed in living for the day - I'd be too.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
If you go to the above website and scroll down, you will find that we have several languages listed. Jesse Helms tried to get the senate to vote for English to be our official language and got nowhere with the idea. I think he had a very good idea.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
If you go to the above website and scroll down, you will find that we have several languages listed. Jesse Helms tried to get the senate to vote for English to be our official language and got nowhere with the idea. I think he had a very good idea.
Well, the problem is no one likes that idea. We don't need to say that to know it's true. It wouldn't be promoting the English language. It would be rubbing it in immigrants faces that they aren't American yet and that people don't appreciate them being here. Truthfully though, most people either don't mind or do appreciate immigrants being here. The only ones who are against them are inner-city blacks or white rednecks that live no where near immigrants. They need to get a better hobby than picking on immigrants and gay people. They used to do it with blacks. Even if liberal America is equally as crafty, at least we aren't trying to come off as big boys to little guys.

Plus if such an idea was to grab public recognition - don't you think a more diverse body should be promoting such an idea?It's not like all of America is united in that belief. Not for nothing, but you don't hear black people promoting the idea of English being the main language. You don't hear liberal white Boston residents with masters degrees complaining. All you here are lower-middle class undereducated whites in the south, mid-west and occasionally cities complain because it makes them feel more powerful to be that ''American icon.''Too bad for them, so they could screw themselves.

So people of different backgrounds, sexual orientations and religions than Jesse Helms - I doubt the populace of educated Americans will give them the time of day. And I know liberal Americans definitely won't until there is plausible reasoning. Let guys like Helms rave on to their religious yahoos all they want. Let them keep all the big bucks in the hands of a few too. I'd rather choose to think reasonably and leave the position in which we have regarding the language as status quo. And for that matter, promote economic dynamism which involves all Americans - rather than just a few.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
For the record:

It is not just inner city Blacks or racist rednecks who are against illegal immigration.

Most people whom I have spoken with aside from flagrant Bleeding Hearts and many Latinos are offended by the illegals here.

We have the right to secure our borders; Mexico controls theirs rather harshly, shall we say.

As for English being mandatory for all Government business with the obvious exceptions of public health/safety; why not?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
Well, the problem is no one likes that idea. We don't need to say that to know it's true. It wouldn't be promoting the English language. It would be rubbing it in immigrants faces that they aren't American yet and that people don't appreciate them being here. Truthfully though, most people either don't mind or do appreciate immigrants being here. The only ones who are against them are inner-city blacks or white rednecks that live no where near immigrants. They need to get a better hobby than picking on immigrants and gay people. They used to do it with blacks. Even if liberal America is equally as crafty, at least we aren't trying to come off as big boys to little guys.

Plus if such an idea was to grab public recognition - don't you think a more diverse body should be promoting such an idea?It's not like all of America is united in that belief. Not for nothing, but you don't hear black people promoting the idea of English being the main language. You don't hear liberal white Boston residents with masters degrees complaining. All you here are lower-middle class undereducated whites in the south, mid-west and occasionally cities complain because it makes them feel more powerful to be that ''American icon.''Too bad for them, so they could screw themselves.

So people of different backgrounds, sexual orientations and religions than Jesse Helms - I doubt the populace of educated Americans will give them the time of day. And I know liberal Americans definitely won't until there is plausible reasoning. Let guys like Helms rave on to their religious yahoos all they want. Let them keep all the big bucks in the hands of a few too. I'd rather choose to think reasonably and leave the position in which we have regarding the language as status quo. And for that matter, promote economic dynamism which involves all Americans - rather than just a few.
I think this is one of the most over-generalizing posts from you that I've ever read. First you use the term 'immigrant' when you and everyone else knows that the big problem is illegal alien, immigrants are already REQUIRED to demonstrate passable English. Then you claim it's all under-educated rednecks that are for English only and that "most people don't mind or appreciate immigrants being here."

I think you've let your guard down and exposed yourself as an uber-liberal gasbag.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
We will soon have a "Kosovo" situation here in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration