U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:44 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times

Advertisements

I have no problem portraying illegal immigrants badly at all-------they are lawbreakers at best.

Note though; employers who obviously hire the above are as bad.

In all fairness; I am singling out the illegals who are here for flagrant economic reasons--------political refugees are a different breed of cat.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 4,484 times
Why is it that any time the subject of making English the official language is brought up it gets shot down but this seesm to be ok?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
however, what most people do not know is that most of the Mexicans (not spanish...spanish are from Spain..."hello") that come to the US are working the jobs that most americans don't want in the first place. Like hotels, restrauants, construction and etc.
This is a complete pile of crap. You think Americans don't want these jobs? Americans have been doing these jobs for a couple hundred years, and doing them FAR BETTER than the illegals of today.

What Americans DON'T want is to do these jobs for a minimum wage that can't support ONE person, let alone a family.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM

157 posts, read 277,028 times
Talking Logic

Wouldn't you want to speak English so you wouldn't stand out as ILLEGALS??? And Americans are not learning spanish. BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

272 posts, read 715,481 times
Ja tink!
Any illegal immigrant with a brain would go out of their way to learn English...to blend in as much as possible....to NOT draw attention to themselves...
But like the old adage goes...
You can take them out of the turd-world...but you can't take the turd-world out of them....

Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,065,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I agree with you that the media is portraying illegal immigrants badly. The one issue the "right wing" says is that they are not paying taxes...however, what most people do not know is that most of the Mexicans (not spanish...spanish are from Spain..."hello") that come to the US are working the jobs that most americans don't want in the first place. Like hotels, restrauants, construction and etc. (and many would have a hard time staying in business w/o them). I know this because of vast experiences with these companies. Cost of doing business vs profit. Read between the lines...these illegal immigrants "most" are not getting paid under the table in cash. They have stolen SS #'s. Americans...don't be so naive and believe everything you hear by the media. There is so much that can be said about how "we" contribute to the problems for example job loss because overseas are taking most of the manufacturing jobs...well americans "we" as consumers are direct contributors to that! So, the media "paints" a picture about the illegal immigrants...but the fact is that if you ask some "big corporations" they would not want the illegal immigrants to go away. Just like you like paying lower prices at "Wal Mart" (most all products manufactured over seas), competitive hotel prices and restrauants...well if you are that passionate about these issue then you as americans need to pay higher prices....makes you think...hugh? Don't be so one sided till you have all the information. It's so much bigger then the few items that I mentioned.

Another I don't have any idea how to "fix" the immigrant issue, but I speak two languages and both very well. When I am out sometimes I will speak my givin language (not english) and if you have a problem with that then there is a problem with you and not me. I know that here in NY it is standard that the children are tought to speak mutilple languaes 3 or 4 infact...come on...don't get petty....
I stopped reading at "right wing." Bias is so easy to spot. As with all biased opinions, I'm sure your post is filled with inaccuracies.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
This is a complete pile of crap. You think Americans don't want these jobs? Americans have been doing these jobs for a couple hundred years, and doing them FAR BETTER than the illegals of today.

What Americans DON'T want is to do these jobs for a minimum wage that can't support ONE person, let alone a family.
So you think McDonalds should pay $20/hr?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
So you think McDonalds should pay $20/hr?
Look at the jobs he mentioned Pro, there was no McDonalds on the list.

Quote:
Like hotels, restrauants, construction and etc.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM

418 posts, read 265,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I agree with you that the media is portraying illegal immigrants badly. The one issue the "right wing" says is that they are not paying taxes...however, what most people do not know is that most of the Mexicans (not spanish...spanish are from Spain..."hello") that come to the US are working the jobs that most americans don't want in the first place. Like hotels, restrauants, construction and etc. (and many would have a hard time staying in business w/o them). I know this because of vast experiences with these companies. Cost of doing business vs profit. Read between the lines...these illegal immigrants "most" are not getting paid under the table in cash. They have stolen SS #'s. Americans...don't be so naive and believe everything you hear by the media. There is so much that can be said about how "we" contribute to the problems for example job loss because overseas are taking most of the manufacturing jobs...well americans "we" as consumers are direct contributors to that! So, the media "paints" a picture about the illegal immigrants...but the fact is that if you ask some "big corporations" they would not want the illegal immigrants to go away. Just like you like paying lower prices at "Wal Mart" (most all products manufactured over seas), competitive hotel prices and restrauants...well if you are that passionate about these issue then you as americans need to pay higher prices....makes you think...hugh? Don't be so one sided till you have all the information. It's so much bigger then the few items that I mentioned.

Another I don't have any idea how to "fix" the immigrant issue, but I speak two languages and both very well. When I am out sometimes I will speak my givin language (not english) and if you have a problem with that then there is a problem with you and not me. I know that here in NY it is standard that the children are tought to speak mutilple languaes 3 or 4 infact...come on...don't get petty....
''The one issue the "right wing" says is that they are not paying taxes''

Yes true, but the Democratic party defends on much heavier taxing to get across their ideas. Both party's are upset that they aren't acquiring tax money from them. Of course illegal immigrants aren't going to pay taxes because people don't they even exist - but more than anything else, paying those taxes back should be a key part (as it is) to legalizing. It's nothing something that could be done over night and could take a life time. So be it though. If they don't believe that's what it takes to not be deported or have a chance at acquiring citizenship, than we shouldn't cooperate with them. It's kind of like parents with a young child. They could get yelling at them to go to bed earlier, but if they don't - what's the worst they'll do? Punish them for a day? They wouldn't kick them out, just like this government wouldn't kick out illegal immigrants. And even if they wanted to, it wouldn't be feasible - kind of like the parent too lol

Plenty of Americans are willing to do the jobs those Mexican immigrants are doing. The problem is those jobs don't pay enough. A big reason for that is because they know they can get a cheaper source of labor. That could be either hiring illegal immigrants, shipping companies out to southeast Asia or other countries/continents, ect.

''Read between the lines...these illegal immigrants "most" are not getting paid under the table in cash. They have stolen SS #'s.''

I agree. That's true. Off the books work is common too. However, still most immigrants are legal. Even if they previously were illegal. Americans could really gullible sometimes though. Or they can't just figure things out. For example, if someone were to see a maid at a motel like a Days Inn like some random area in Texas - do you honestly believe that she is illegal? There's a chance, but usually big franchise names aren't willing to risk a lot. That could be the general manager's job, larger fines (which are now coming about) and getting shut down. Most GM's aren't that naive, although some are. Most don't want to take that risk anymore - because they know someone is watching. A while ago they could have gotten away with this, but it wasn't really concerned ''illegal'' back than.

Speaking more than one language should be more encouraged to contain within families. I think Americans have accepted the fact that if all they know is English and they don't plan on living internationally - that's all it ever will be. There's nothing wrong with that. That's very likely to happen to myself. New York's culture definitely is supporting of containing foreign languages. People don't get so irritated when hearing a foreign language, because many indeed do as well and probably have other things to worry about.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM

418 posts, read 265,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have no problem portraying illegal immigrants badly at all-------they are lawbreakers at best.

Note though; employers who obviously hire the above are as bad.

In all fairness; I am singling out the illegals who are here for flagrant economic reasons--------political refugees are a different breed of cat.
I agree all the way. Many of us are upset at the employers, but I think it's fair to be equally as upset with how our government has handled that. Especially the president and congress. And you could blame the American citizens for voting them in. We're all to blame for this. We got to fix it though. Personally though, if I were a Republican (which thank god I'm not lol), I'd be pretty upset with the direction Bush has given for his views on illegal immigration. It feels like the more days goes on, the problems build up - kind of like being sick and not doing homework. And than the new president in January will have to start fixing it all.

If our economy were doing good - people wouldn't need to scapegoat on illegal immigrants, even if they did do these crimes. The media helps pump up this nationally. Illegal immigration would be a problem still in the southwest and for inner-city African-Americans, but not for the populace of American citizens. These immigrants shouldn't be pampered. They're smart to jump in on an opportunity though. It's be like me seeing a guy drop a crumbled up 50 dollar bill without him knowing it. It might not be ethical, but I don't really know if it'd be illegal. And even if it were illegal, it's really not if no one knows about it. Now if he were to see me a few days later and magically figured it out like from a video camera or something, who would he be to say pay give me my $50 back?

This is a pretty complicated issue that will take a long time to resolve - but the main thing is to get on the right track. It's nice to know that McCain actually is willing to considerably work with both parties on this issue (although much of his partie doesn't appear to like that), but just like that flashcard example I gave - it's either Iraq or everything else. The best thing Ron Paul said responding to McCain's assertion that we could be there 100 years was where's the money coming from? Just as he said, we'll be paying back the guns and butter for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration