U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:25 PM

402 posts, read 921,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
This is a complete pile of crap. You think Americans don't want these jobs? Americans have been doing these jobs for a couple hundred years, and doing them FAR BETTER than the illegals of today.

What Americans DON'T want is to do these jobs for a minimum wage that can't support ONE person, let alone a family.
That's exactly right! Americans don't want to pay minimum wage. Exactly my point (americans don't want these jobs)! So, lets take a look at whey these jobs are so lowly paid. I have worked with many construction companies. Do you know the heart of the competition that these companies goes through to bid on the job with little profit???? Some of them take a job just to keep their employees on the payroll. We are not talking about "big" corporate america (although they can be included), but many are mid to smaller companies. Again, I don't know what the solution is to this complicated issue, but we are are included and "guilty" and contributors to these issues. If you are that passionate about illegal immigrants not working here. Then boycott them, stop shopping at Wal-Mart, buy american made products and etc. I work with many fortune companies and the discussion about reducing cost and earning a profit (this can't more true if you are public comp) is so fierce. For example, Wal-Mart can make or take a vendor that they are working with. Wal-Mart's requirements are so tough that it's hard to earn any revenue for the american companies.

I don't condone illegal immigrants...PERIOD! My point is that there is a bigger picture here that we have to consider. The issue is much more complicated then what it appears. I always think then what would happen to these construction, restrauants, hotels...comp. that currently depend so much on these immigrants. It would mean that you will end paying more (lets' imagine that the employees are being paid 30% more)...I hope that you won't complain about the prices when that happens. Often americans are such hypocrits....you complain about job loss yet your out there buying the exact products that took your jobs because it's cheaper! Hello!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
That's quite a large assumption there, Short. I haven't spent a dime in Wal-Mart in over a year, so don't try to presume where I shop.

When you talk about prices going up if we didn't have illegal workers, all I can say is "SO WHAT?!?!?" While millions of American construction workers have been displaced by this 'cheap labor', did you see home prices FALLING?? How about the price of food, has it gone up or down where you live??

Get a grip, dude...

Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
That's quite a large assumption there, Short. I haven't spent a dime in Wal-Mart in over a year, so don't try to presume where I shop.

When you talk about prices going up if we didn't have illegal workers, all I can say is "SO WHAT?!?!?" While millions of American construction workers have been displaced by this 'cheap labor', did you see home prices FALLING?? How about the price of food, has it gone up or down where you live??

Get a grip, dude...

I thought you said most were apart of unions?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I thought you said most were apart of unions?
No, I said your father was in a union.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No, I said your father was in a union.
Believe what you want, I've never confirmed this.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Get a grip, dude...
You obviously did not read my "post" and do not have enough information to make a sound judgemnt. For example, home prices falling doesn't have anything to do with illegal immigrants, but largly due to subprime loans. I don't have time to educate you. All I can conclude is that, you took when I said "we americans" you thought I meant "ALL, 100%" (statiscally 100% is not even possible)...come on read between the lines. If I have to explain this to you then you know...need I say more?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
You obviously did not read my "post" and do not have enough information to make a sound judgemnt. For example, home prices falling doesn't have anything to do with illegal immigrants, but largly due to subprime loans. I don't have time to educate you. All I can conclude is that, you took when I said "we americans" you thought I meant "ALL, 100%" (statiscally 100% is not even possible)...come on read between the lines. If I have to explain this to you then you know...need I say more?
Be careful, moderators get annoyed when you mention "educating people", condescending is the term. Personal experience

Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Get a grip, dude...
Another thing.....if you can get "this"...is that I was saying "look outside the box"...that the issue of immigrants is much more complicated then a straight one sided view or opinion. There is no simple answer to this complicated issue. Again, look outside the "box" and think.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Believe what you want, I've never confirmed this.
You've never denied it, either.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
You've never denied it, either.
This explains your theory how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration