U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times

Advertisements

Short,
Quote:
For example, home prices falling doesn't have anything to do with illegal immigrants, but largly due to subprime loans.
My point was the rising home prices of the last 20 years, not the falling ones of the last 6 months. While criminal employers used illegal labor to cut wages by 50%, did you see any home prices going down? No, you didn't, because the difference was NOT reflected in the selling price, it was pocketed by those criminal employers.
Quote:
All I can conclude is that, you took when I said "we americans" you thought I meant "ALL, 100%"
I never said "we Americans", I said millions of Americans, it looks like you are the one that could use a refresher in reading comprehension.
Quote:
There is no simple answer to this complicated issue.
Tell me what makes this issue so 'complicated', because it looks pretty cut and dried to me...

Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
This explains your theory how?
What theory, Pro? The one that says if you flood a market with enough product the price goes down? Econ 101.

You use your father's job as a rebuttal to 'illegals lower wages in construction'. The fact that he's in a union (as I'm sure he is) mitigates the effect on HIS wages, while those of us who AREN'T in a union have been hammered by a 50% wage cut over the last 20 years.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
What theory, Pro? The one that says if you flood a market with enough product the price goes down? Econ 101.

You use your father's job as a rebuttal to 'illegals lower wages in construction'. The fact that he's in a union (as I'm sure he is) mitigates the effect on HIS wages, while those of us who AREN'T in a union have been hammered by a 50% wage cut over the last 20 years.
So you assume he is. Gotcha.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So you assume he is. Gotcha.
Gotcha?? Are you denying it?? If not, you got nada, amigo...

Old 02-23-2008, 06:42 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
For the record English is not the official language of the U.S.
Really PL?

Well, let me have you try this? Write up a contract, for anything, in any language other than English.

Then, try to enforce the the contract in any court, at any level, in the United States.

Then, come back and tell us as you did above

Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Another thing.....if you can get "this"...is that I was saying "look outside the box"...that the issue of immigrants is much more complicated then a straight one sided view or opinion. There is no simple answer to this complicated issue. Again, look outside the "box" and think.
Suffice to say if 90% of the illegal immigrants including their minor age Anchor Babies left; I suspect that there would be more acceptance towards those few illegals left--------provided they flew under the radar.

Close and lock the borders; if it means 'Berlin Wall' style fortifications along our southern border, oh well.

Mexico is very strict towards illegals traversing its territory from Central America-------and, rightly so.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Really PL?

Well, let me have you try this? Write up a contract, for anything, in any language other than English.

Then, try to enforce the the contract in any court, at any level, in the United States.

Then, come back and tell us as you did above
So you believe English is the official language of the U.S? I never said anything about any contracts or anything. Just because the majority of the population speaks it doesn't mean its the official. Sure, in some states it is. but it is not the official FEDERAL language of the U.S.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
So you believe English is the official language of the U.S? I never said anything about any contracts or anything. Just because the majority of the population speaks it doesn't mean its the official. Sure, in some states it is. but it is not the official FEDERAL language of the U.S.
PL - my point mentioning contracts is, only ENGLISH language is enforceable in the courts BY LAW.

It is called, the UCC - The Uniform Commercial Code - which BTW is FEDERAL

There are many other examples PL

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 AM

23 posts, read 16,505 times
Any person who doesn't speak English and chooses to ILLEGALLY OR LEGALLY live here from anywhere else in the world needs to learn the ENGLISH language. When I travel somewhere foreign I learn that language but that is just me. I think it is ignorant to try to change our language here in tx or anywhere in the states! That's just like peopel stating don't try to move here and change our state the way your state was if you don't like it GO BACK! I totally agree with that statement! I am from NY and I have never tried to change a place to be like NY just because I arrived. I accept other states downsides EXCEPT RACISM AND HATE if I choose to live there.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,842 times
WOW.................
considering this is an event that occurred 9 years ago and was pretty much under the wire at the time, I am surprised at how vehement posters on not only this thread but others across the net are now.
But, I am concerned that the major thrust of the arguments stems towards the act of the government of El Cenzio, but hardly a thing has been mentioned of the Government of Texas that this was allowed to happen.
Bush was the governor at the time and this is another example of how he has subjugated the majority will for the benefit of the few.
This helps to explain further the tilt of the Republican party these last 8 years and........and I now wonder why this was withheld from us by the national media during the SECOND election.???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration