U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM

10,705 posts, read 3,742,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
As show by their response to the Whiskey Rebellion, eh?
Did I suggest the government would not shoot back? I would also point out the troops used were State militias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 PM

11,652 posts, read 3,253,090 times
"And subject to the jurisdiction thereof" means not born a citizen of another country. Otherwise the phrase would not been included.

To say birthright citizenship for illegals was the original intent and purpose of the citizenship clause is incorrect and dishonest. And if you say the original intent does not matter, then there's no inherent requirement to continue to give birthright citizenship to illegals.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:44 PM

11,652 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Did I suggest the government would not shoot back? I would also point out the troops used were State militias.
The point is if the effective meaning of one amendment is changed without amending it, then you can change another without amending it. All that is needed is pass a law or don't even need a law just the SCOTUS to agree with an action taken by the executive branch.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The point is if the effective meaning of one amendment is changed without amending it, then you can change another without amending it. All that is needed is pass a law or don't even need a law just the SCOTUS to agree with an action taken by the executive branch.
Of course. See the Japanese internment. But you need immense overriding popular support before you can do that. Note they did not intern in Hawaii where it might have made at least a little sense. Only on the west coast where it was immensely popular.

The Constitution is the well of liberty...but only as we are not too thirsty.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,717,873 times
Quote:
Did I suggest the government would not shoot back?
Yes; when you claimed the FF's "had no problem with the populace shooting up some government". Obviously if they shot back they did have a problem with it.

Quote:
I would also point out the troops used were State militias.
The government thus demonstrated that "well regulated militia" part of the 2A -- as in the government exercising its authority to call up the militia in order to suppress insurrections; as explicitly provided for in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yes; when you claimed the FF's "had no problem with the populace shooting up some government". Obviously they did have a problem with it.

The government thus demonstrated that "well regulated militia" part of the 2A -- as in the government exercising its authority to call up the militia in order to suppress insurrections as provided for in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.
Actually I would think the founders wanted the population to be able to outshoot the government. But that is only some government sometime...not any government whenever. But I think there was no illusions as to the government not shooting back.

The well regulated militias were not well regulated and disappeared reasonably quickly. And pretty much in a storm of scandal.

And the militas were called up by the states not the Federals.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Actually I would think the founders wanted the population to be able to outshoot the government. But that is only some government sometime...not any government whenever. But I think there was no illusions as to the government not shooting back.
What you would think and what actually occurred are two different things.

Quote:
And the militas were called up by the states not the Federals.
I'd really suggest you do a little reading on the Whiskey Rebellion before posting further about it.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 PM

From the Wiki real quick...

With 13,000 militiamen provided by the
governors ofVirginia, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

And I would also point out the Rebels quit before the troops arrived. I would also point out the Federales actually lost the war. The Kentucky distillers never paid up.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
From the Wiki real quick...

With 13,000 militiamen provided by the
governors ofVirginia, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania
The state governors provided militia at the REQUEST of President George Washington.

Geez, why do I bother?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
The state governors provided militia at the REQUEST of President George Washington.

Geez, why do I bother?
Yes of course. That was the whole point. The Feds could not call up their own troops.

And you obviously have no idea why you bother. Nor does anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or