U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
 
162 posts, read 293,886 times
Reputation: 53

Advertisements

I dont mean to be sarcastic, but my name is Franco, my birthplace, Peru in South America, my grandparents were from Spain and Italy. I recently became a US citizen after years living legally in this great country. After reading all these posts, I am more confused than an olive in a fruit salad when it comes to define whats my ethnic group. My skin color is white. But, which group do I belong? Should I walk with my DNA in my wallet, lol? I'm not worry at all, only thing is when applying for employment, sometimes I have to make an additional appointment to figure out what to choose from the list.

 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
 
220 posts, read 336,040 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in Arizona: any non Hispanic White is counted as an Anglo-------including Arabs, North Africans, Iranians as well as the usual list of 'suspects'

Whereas a Hispanic is someone from a Spanish speaking country--------no matter his race/ancestral ethnicity.

Jose Gonzalez; born/raised in Sweden is an Anglo--------despite being of Argentine heritage.

David Johansen; from Mexico (of probable Scandinavian lineage) would a Hispanic, legally speaking here in the USA.
People are counted by the categories they apply to themselves when they checkmark various boxes on their census forms.

As an example, I never checkmark the boxes for "Non-Hispanic White" because I find it personally degrading.
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
I dont mean to be sarcastic, but my name is Franco, my birthplace, Peru in South America, my grandparents were from Spain and Italy. I recently became a US citizen after years living legally in this great country. After reading all these posts, I am more confused than an olive in a fruit salad when it comes to define whats my ethnic group. My skin color is white. But, which group do I belong? Should I walk with my DNA in my wallet, lol? I'm not worry at all, only thing is when applying for employment, sometimes I have to make an additional appointment to figure out what to choose from the list.
You would be counted as a Hispanic for ethnicity; your race would be White here in the USA.
 
Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,144 posts, read 3,255,825 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
I dont mean to be sarcastic, but my name is Franco, my birthplace, Peru in South America, my grandparents were from Spain and Italy. I recently became a US citizen after years living legally in this great country. After reading all these posts, I am more confused than an olive in a fruit salad when it comes to define whats my ethnic group. My skin color is white. But, which group do I belong? Should I walk with my DNA in my wallet, lol? I'm not worry at all, only thing is when applying for employment, sometimes I have to make an additional appointment to figure out what to choose from the list.
I have lived in Miami, Chicago and California. Why is it, whenever I meet a hispanic person they say,"my grandparents are really from Spain, Italy etc", infering their whiteness. I have to hold in my laughter because so many of these people are so obviously NOT white/caucasian. It seems like the less white the hispanic the more the stories about their relatives coming from Europe. Be proud of who you are, don't have to whitewash yourself for gods sake. To help some of you feel better, caucasian Americans love to claim that their great great great grandmother etc. is of Native American ancestry. When will Latin America change?
 
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Missouri of course
407 posts, read 714,770 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I have lived in Miami, Chicago and California. Why is it, whenever I meet a hispanic person they say,"my grandparents are really from Spain, Italy etc", infering their whiteness. I have to hold in my laughter because so many of these people are so obviously NOT white/caucasian. It seems like the less white the hispanic the more the stories about their relatives coming from Europe. Be proud of who you are, don't have to whitewash yourself for gods sake. To help some of you feel better, caucasian Americans love to claim that their great great great grandmother etc. is of Native American ancestry. When will Latin America change?
Know what you mean. That would be many of the same who constantly say that they want the European to go back to Europe. That is why it makes me laugh because of the absolute ignorance of them concerning race and/or ethnicity. It also proves that they are white supremists.
 
Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
I dont mean to be sarcastic, but my name is Franco, my birthplace, Peru in South America, my grandparents were from Spain and Italy. I recently became a US citizen after years living legally in this great country. After reading all these posts, I am more confused than an olive in a fruit salad when it comes to define whats my ethnic group. My skin color is white. But, which group do I belong? Should I walk with my DNA in my wallet, lol? I'm not worry at all, only thing is when applying for employment, sometimes I have to make an additional appointment to figure out what to choose from the list.
Yeah lol I have a friend who's mother is from Peru too. Her father was an Italian immigrant who left during WWII. Technically if you have a grandparent born in a foreign country, you could acquire citizenship of that country much easier than others. I'm sure most in European descendants Peru or other parts of Latin America don't share that same pattern - but it definitely does leave confusion.

You don't have to walk around with your ethnicity in your pocket lol People are people - but the thing with people of Latin American descent in this country is that they get used as a political device that really doesn't go anywhere. All it does is transform working-class blue-collared immigrants into insurance workers in suburbs. If Latin Americans actually wanted to remain their culture or identity, they'd realize that this term only destroys everything at a quick pace. Because it speeds up assimilation and groups up a bunch of nationalities that never saw themselves as a group.

Most Latin American immigrants don't completely understand our system until living here a while. And they when they do learn it, because they have experience viewing it from their respective country too. They're able to see clearer through the lines and not buy into all of this. Even most Latin Americans children don't get sucked into this bull crap theory of ''Latino'' heritage or culture. Most people already living like white Americans and are just crying for some attention (aka La Raza). And for normal people who aren't taught hate, the only people who usually are so concerned and say the word ''Hispanic'' are usually non-Latin American white American citizens anyway.

When applying for employment - here's my suggestion. Don't mark anything. Most jobs don't make it mandatory. Most have think that jobs will think you're some sort of rebel, but you're not. It's not worth the nuisance. Or just to screw with them, mark Asian or something irrelevant lol Or mark more than one thing. Or other. It really doesn't matter. I usually leave it blank. That's what I did when applying for my job. I got the job an interview within a week and got hired. It was my first interview and first job, so I doubt anyone used it against me lol
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
Know what you mean. That would be many of the same who constantly say that they want the European to go back to Europe. That is why it makes me laugh because of the absolute ignorance of them concerning race and/or ethnicity. It also proves that they are white supremists.
I think for many years because of the crazy stigma that affected many different races they would try to conceal them. I think every race should be proud of their heritage and culture. I have no use for white supremists, they are a blight on white Americans.
Sassy
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I think for many years because of the crazy stigma that affected many different races they would try to conceal them. I think every race should be proud of their heritage and culture. I have no use for white supremists, they are a blight on white Americans.
Sassy
Any supremacist no matter what their race, Black Supremacists, Brown Supremacists, Yellow Supremacists are the blight on ALL Americans.
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
 
418 posts, read 264,581 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I have lived in Miami, Chicago and California. Why is it, whenever I meet a hispanic person they say,"my grandparents are really from Spain, Italy etc", infering their whiteness. I have to hold in my laughter because so many of these people are so obviously NOT white/caucasian. It seems like the less white the hispanic the more the stories about their relatives coming from Europe. Be proud of who you are, don't have to whitewash yourself for gods sake. To help some of you feel better, caucasian Americans love to claim that their great great great grandmother etc. is of Native American ancestry. When will Latin America change?
''I have lived in Miami, Chicago and California. Why is it, whenever I meet a hispanic person they say,"my grandparents are really from Spain, Italy etc", infering their whiteness. I have to hold in my laughter because so many of these people are so obviously NOT white/caucasian.''

Well, it's not that they aren't white. The funnier thing to me is that more people than you'd actually be able to demographically tract do say something like that. And it's not because their not white, but just maybe it makes them sound more interesting or they exaggerate about one great-grandparent - possibly priding their ''whiteness.'' I know this will sound sarcastic too but I've never met a ''Hispanic'' person lol It just doesn't exist in my eyes. I have met plenty of Latin Americans though.

You are right about them priding their whiteness though. People do it in this country too - but usually don't associate foreign ties with that. They actually believe the more American you are, the more white you become. Ironically, economically and socially especially - it kind of seems like that for all people who progress in this country, no matter what they look like.

As far as those ones who you claim to be not be white/caucasian, that's not necessarily true all the time. Yes, the ones who aren't white or less white will try to put more emphasis and pride on something that stupid - because it make more economically advanced and apart of the elite. It represents power. The way how most of them view it who do that though would rather consider it a white lie, which wouldn't necessarily be untrue. Even if you were 1/8 or 1/4 of Spaniard descent, you still do have some right to claim something.

In America, our social system says that's okay if you're not white (especially black) ; but if you were like 1/4 white and 3/4 black in this country, it's as if people believe you're just all black. That's a big difference between America and other countries psychological view. Where whites are either around half or minorities within their populations, people see it as something more worth noting. Especially if was involved with imperialism - because it likely means the whites are on top economically in that society.

When will Latin America change? Probably never lol Global warming will destroy the earth. Maybe if we're all stuck in some dome hundreds of years from now like in Logan's run, maybe people will squeeze reality out of them lol They're in denial about who they are because in Latin America - whiteness is something people pride themselves on. The decoy for that is the word Spanish. If anyone lives in the Northeast, Florida or somewhere where Latin Americans who are black - they know exactly what I'm talking about. Same thing applies to Indian descended Mexicans - although they'll refer to themselves as Mexicans much more often than Spanish.

I've met many people who are black or predominantly physically appeared to be black who say they're ''Spanish.'' Maybe for the ones who are mixed, they're telling a white lie - although in denial about the other half. Same could be said to people who were half white half black who favor their ''blackness'' in this country though. I've met plenty of people who probably weren't white at all who still called themselves ''Spanish'' though. To them, they believe it's true because they think being either ''Hispanic'', Latino or Latin American equates to that. Someone needs to splash a hot cup of Colombian coffee in their face and wake them the hell up lol

Usually, they do nothing more than embarrass themselves - but when all of us a half-century from now are completely Americanized and the term Hispanic either absolves or loses it's political integrity and credibility (as it obviously has already - but too many people are blind) - people will be forced into a state of whiteness and blackness. Even though the descendants of black immigrants will live economically and socially like whites, those immigrants and their first-generation won't marry poor inner-city blacks, but they won't be able to call themselves ''Spanish'' anymore - because no such thing will exist. The descendants of Mexican might be a little more in the gray territory on this one, sort of like Middle Easterners - but they'll economically and socially lean towards whites. And because they're Christian and high in population in areas where it's pretty much them and European-Americans, extensive mixing is an inevitability.

That's why I say in 2050, there will be too kinds of Americans. Middle-class America of all backgrounds and continental descendants. And their will be the impoverished. The middle-class will be predominantly European, Latin American, Asian and some African descended (especially for post WWII immigrants). However, the people who will still mostly by in the ditch will be inner-city blacks - largely due to the neglect we see of this era. Some white trash and Latin American descendants who may as well be ''white trash'', even if they technically aren't white - but it won't ever compare to the poverty inner-city African-Americans do and will continue to endure.
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
 
162 posts, read 293,886 times
Reputation: 53
Default To Urban Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I have lived in Miami, Chicago and California. Why is it, whenever I meet a hispanic person they say,"my grandparents are really from Spain, Italy etc", infering their whiteness. I have to hold in my laughter because so many of these people are so obviously NOT white/caucasian. It seems like the less white the hispanic the more the stories about their relatives coming from Europe. Be proud of who you are, don't have to whitewash yourself for gods sake. To help some of you feel better, caucasian Americans love to claim that their great great great grandmother etc. is of Native American ancestry. When will Latin America change?
If sharing my ethnicity affects you, then you need to find another forum. I am very proud of who I am. I dont need to whitewash my face, I am hispanic, but white. If you've heard of "whitening stories" shame on them, if you can't enjoy what you are then you need to whitewash the darkness of your mind. I am not going to deny my own ancestors, that is precisely what makes of me a unique man.
Have a good day,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top