U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Mexico already is majority American, isn't it? We all live in North America.
Excellent point, one which hasn't gotten NEARLY the attention it deserves. And since the human race originated in Africa, we're ALL actually African American--and thus there are no racial problems, no prejudice, and no cultural disagreements at all, (except the ones we 'imagine").

Good post !.....

 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Who cares what they think? The activists are ridiculous and do not represent the majority of Hispanics.
My question is "What do they mean," not "Who cares what they mean."

Quote:
The true majority of Hispanics will or have assimilated to American culture, many of whom I know are in intermarriages with white, asian, black, indian...you name it. That is the way it will be, the way it is now, with maybe a little more salsa in it.
Utter BS.

Take a drive through Santa Ana and tell me how the assimilation thing is working out.

Heck, take a drive down Wells Avenue in Reno and tell me the same.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, here's an answer---if ten percent of the population of America (or even FIVE percent) moved to Mexico, determined that they wanted to live there, work there, and mingle with the local people---but did NOT want to assimilate into the Mexican culture, and was NOT concerned whether they had enterd Mexico legally or not, then of COURSE it would change Mexico..OBVIOUSLY, in many ways, some good, some bad.

This would never be allowed to happen, in real life. The Mexican government would take steps to stop it from ever getting to that point.
Many areas in Mexico are "Americanized", it is just that the Mexican government likes that because it means $$$.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
My question is "What do they mean," not "Who cares what they mean."


Utter BS.

Take a drive through Santa Ana and tell me how the assimilation thing is working out.

Heck, take a drive down Wells Avenue in Reno and tell me the same.
So you pick out areas with high concentration of first generation immigrants, the same can be said for the Queens Jewish Pop or West Hollywood's Russian pop or Irish in Woodlawn(Bronx).

How about driving in the areas all around Santa Ana and see how many Hispanics HAVE assimilated?

The truth is there are some people that just want to be around their own, that goes for all races, ethnicities and cultures.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So you pick out areas with high concentration of first generation immigrants,
Uh...that seems appropriate, doesn't it? If your claim were true, then I'd expect to see this assimilation. I mean, looking at one Hispanic family in Juneau wouldn't tell us much, now would it?
Quote:
the same can be said for Queens Jewish Pop or West Hollywood's Russian pop.
I don't recall anyone stating an impending Jewish or Russian majority. Regardless, whether other ethnicities assimilate or not is irrelevant to the fact that many Hispanics reject assimilation.

Quote:
How about driving in the areas all around Santa Ana and see how many Hispanics HAVE assimilated?
Fact: Los Angeles has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world.

To me, that is not assimilation. As long as the border remains wide open, there will be no assimilation.

Google "salad bowl hispanic."
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Uh...that seems appropriate, doesn't it? If your claim were true, then I'd expect to see this assimilation. I mean, looking at one Hispanic family in Juneau wouldn't tell us much, now would it?

I don't recall anyone stating an impending Jewish or Russian majority. Regardless, whether other ethnicities assimilate or not is irrelevant to the fact that many Hispanics reject assimilation.


Fact: Los Angeles has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world.

To me, that is not assimilation. As long as the border remains wide open, there will be no assimilation.

Google "salad bowl hispanic."
Well nvxplorer it seems you are set with your mindset of believing in the "salad bowl hispanic". So why ask questions here if your thoughts cannot be swayed?
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Many areas in Mexico are "Americanized", it is just that the Mexican government likes that because it means $$$.
The whole notion of "immigration" just can't be compared, though. I KNOW there are some Americans working in Mexico--and there are many tens of thousands of Americans living there, as well.

But, as a general rule, Americans go TO Mexico WITH money...they either want a 'change' or they want to retire cheaply, but they don't show up in Mexico "looking for work". And it's easy for the local Mexicans in tourist areas to SEE for themselves the many jobs that tourists provide. So even if the Gringos get "obnoxious", they are still seen as a source of income..it's obvious for all to see. Poor, hungry, unskilled Americans don't move to Mexico--affluent Americans do.

Mexican illegals aren't seen as "contributing" money when they come here. They come broke and hungry, and they want JOBS...and many times, in increasing numbers, they want OUR jobs. The opportunity for resentment and misunderstanding is always there. Affluent, well-educated Mexicans don't come to the US in any huge numbers, except as tourists or shoppers. Poor, unskilled, Mexicans DO come, in LARGE numbers, and NOT to spend money here.

There's very little comparison between the "northward" migration, and the "southward" one...
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The whole notion of "immigration" just can't be compared, though. I KNOW there are some Americans working in Mexico--and there are many tens of thousands of Americans living there, as well.

But, as a general rule, Americans go TO Mexico WITH money...they either want a 'change' or they want to retire cheaply, but they don't show up in Mexico "looking for work". And it's easy for the local Mexicans in tourist areas to SEE for themselves the many jobs that tourists provide. So even if the Gringos get "obnoxious", they are still seen as a source of income..it's obvious for all to see. Poor, hungry, unskilled Americans don't move to Mexico--affluent Americans do.

Mexican illegals aren't seen as "contributing" money when they come here. They come broke and hungry, and they want JOBS...and many times, in increasing numbers, they want OUR jobs. The opportunity for resentment and misunderstanding is always there. Affluent, well-educated Mexicans don't come to the US in any huge numbers, except as tourists or shoppers. Poor, unskilled, Mexicans DO come, in LARGE numbers, and NOT to spend money here.

There's very little comparison between the "northward" migration, and the "southward" one...
Agree, I was just pointing out that many Americans do not assimilate to Mexico per se, because they go to areas that speak English, have a Walmart, Costco and server hamburgers. Many just go there because it is cheap and has nice beaches. No problem with that, but they are not really assimilating either.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well nvxplorer it seems you are set with your mindset of believing in the "salad bowl hispanic".
It isn't my mindset. The "salad bowl" is a description of Hispanic attitudes. This description comes from those who study the Hispanic community. If you disagree, your beef is with them, not me.

Myself, my observations coincide with those who have studied this phenomenon, so I must reject your claims.
Quote:
So why ask questions here if your thoughts cannot be swayed?
You haven't yet answered my question. Here it is again: What do Hispanics hope to accomplish by becoming a majority?
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It isn't my mindset. The "salad bowl" is a description of Hispanic attitudes. This description comes from those who study the Hispanic community. If you disagree, your beef is with them, not me.

Myself, my observations coincide with those who have studied this phenomenon, so I must reject your claims.

You haven't yet answered my question. Here it is again: What do Hispanics hope to accomplish by becoming a majority?
I did answer it, nothing. Life will stay the same and they will mix. You just reject that answer due to your mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top