U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I keep hearing that Hispanics will eventually become the majority in the US. What do they plan to do when this happens?

Will they make Spanish the official language? If so, what will this accomplish? Do they plan to remake the legal justice system? What would this look like?

I imagine they will vote Hispanics into office, but so what? There already are officials all across the country of many different races and backgrounds, and they still must operate under the same system. Do Hispanics plan to change current institutions?

I don't understand what the significance of being a "racial" majority will hold.
The problem I have with this is my belief that with a majority of Hispanics, which means the majority of voters being Hispanic, as well as a majority of elected officials being Hispanic, is that the voters and the Government will be looking out for the best interest of HISPANICS, not AMERICANS. I feel many hispanics hold a much stronger tie to their countries of origin than let's say whites or blacks. Not very many blacks or whites know much about their heritage, and are not in any way African or European, they are American. I feel that many of those from SOB don't view themselves as "Americans", they view themselves as Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc. I think that if the country was a majority Hispanic the American way of life would be a thing of the past.

Also, to those Hispanics who have commented that this "wouldn't be a big deal", would you feel the same if it were Chinese or Blacks who were projected to be the majority?Would you still view it as not a big deal? You may say yes, but in your hearts I think you might not feel quite the same.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 PM

418 posts, read 264,581 times
Simpleman, they couldn't make Spanish the official language because so many of assimilated Latin American descendants can't even speak the language. And if they can, it's often they're second language and are not completely fluent in it. The only people who are well-representative of Latin American culture that could have any potential of spreading it can't do it because they don't have the money or political power.

My problem is that the government and media pumps up this term, and too many idiotic Americans are too blind to see through the lines. The is no such thing as a Hispanic voter or government official, because there is no such thing as a Hispanic. If all of you guys didn't follow in such a corrupt ideal that our crappy government create and media promotes, than you wouldn't amount yourselves to playing within their pathetic lines.

The government couldn't look for what's in the best interest of ''Hispanics'' and not Americans, because most people who you would to consider of ''Hispanic'' background are indeed American and their children and grandchildren will be a lot more American than yourself and I. The government is more so in the interest of supporting the affluence of America, which is largely tied into whiteness, just like it is in Latin America. This means to make all who aren't inner-city blacks the same. The government wants to protect and expand on the middle-class population, which containing the impoverished inner-city blacks to where they are.

If I'm wrong, why does the government not care about poor African-Americans who's ancestors never voluntarily came to this country (i.e. Hurricane Katrina), yet they care so much about finding working-class immigrants a humane environment to live in and to ensure that their children are middle-class Americans? It's not about a ''Hispanic'' identity, because what reason would it have to exist if they weren't making any less money than European-Americans? Asian-Americans had an identity, but how powerful is their political influence? It's insignificant, because they live as individuals like how most Americans do - and don't need someone else to fight or depend them.

''I feel many hispanics hold a much stronger tie to their countries of origin than let's say whites or blacks.''

Get real. That might be true if for someone who lives in southern Texas who wants to drive 2 or 3 hours to see their grandma every few months, but do you really believe that Dominicans, Colombians and other groups have done anything to remain their ties? They actually almost sever everything. It's not because they want that, but rather because they don't have enough money to maintain a steady connection. Because of the hours so many work, they often don't have the time either.

What makes you believe ''Hispanics'' aren't white? Or black? Why are you so focused into believing the system of American ignorance? Wouldn't it be wiser to see this from an international perspective that would likely go against that fashion of thinking. If you want an example of a descent that kept a good connection, use Greeks. Technically, they're white. Use Middle-Easterners. Technically, they're white. Although Jews don't often contain the best foreign connections (although many left to move to Israel as 30% of the Jews in their country came from the United States), but they have contained their religion and some cultural values. Use West Indians, they're black. They actually don't even want citizenship a lot of the time, because many of the countries they come from have such as much money and education as ours. Many come here simply to make money and than retire at home. This is especially true for nurses, because our country feels how you're medically treated depends on your income.

Latin Americans are along the middle of the line. Just because they're the most popular and seem to be the only immigrants in certain parts of Texas doesn't mean they have kept the best foreign connection. Of course, if you compared them to a white mid-westerner who couldn't even tell you what country his ancestors come from, they might look so culturally connection, but is that anything to be impressed about? Compare them to immigrants abroad, and they aren't so special.

The way how you look is getting less important every year. Whether they be Black, Asian or what ever immigrants - the most important indicator is that all of us will make the same money. That is the indicator for what kind of life you'll live in capitalism. That decides who has the power. And from the way it looks, everyone except for inner-city blacks seems to be on good tract to acquiring the ''American Dream'', which soon may become a thing of the past if Americans as a whole don't change their national direction.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
The problem I have with this is my belief that with a majority of Hispanics, which means the majority of voters being Hispanic, as well as a majority of elected officials being Hispanic, is that the voters and the Government will be looking out for the best interest of HISPANICS, not AMERICANS. I feel many hispanics hold a much stronger tie to their countries of origin than let's say whites or blacks. Not very many blacks or whites know much about their heritage, and are not in any way African or European, they are American. I feel that many of those from SOB don't view themselves as "Americans", they view themselves as Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc. I think that if the country was a majority Hispanic the American way of life would be a thing of the past.

Also, to those Hispanics who have commented that this "wouldn't be a big deal", would you feel the same if it were Chinese or Blacks who were projected to be the majority?Would you still view it as not a big deal? You may say yes, but in your hearts I think you might not feel quite the same.
White are the majority right now, I don't feel any different. If the Chinese were the majority I wouldn't feel any different. I don't see what Race/Ethnicity has to do with someone running the country, its all about who can get the job done. You don't know if Hispanics consider themselves of their country from origin, are you Hispanic? I am an American and I am politically labeled Hispanic because of my Mexican decent.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
Simpleman, they couldn't make Spanish the official language because so many of assimilated Latin American descendants can't even speak the language. And if they can, it's often they're second language and are not completely fluent in it. The only people who are well-representative of Latin American culture that could have any potential of spreading it can't do it because they don't have the money or political power.

My problem is that the government and media pumps up this term, and too many idiotic Americans are too blind to see through the lines. The is no such thing as a Hispanic voter or government official, because there is no such thing as a Hispanic. If all of you guys didn't follow in such a corrupt ideal that our crappy government create and media promotes, than you wouldn't amount yourselves to playing within their pathetic lines.

The government couldn't look for what's in the best interest of ''Hispanics'' and not Americans, because most people who you would to consider of ''Hispanic'' background are indeed American and their children and grandchildren will be a lot more American than yourself and I. The government is more so in the interest of supporting the affluence of America, which is largely tied into whiteness, just like it is in Latin America. This means to make all who aren't inner-city blacks the same. The government wants to protect and expand on the middle-class population, which containing the impoverished inner-city blacks to where they are.

If I'm wrong, why does the government not care about poor African-Americans who's ancestors never voluntarily came to this country (i.e. Hurricane Katrina), yet they care so much about finding working-class immigrants a humane environment to live in and to ensure that their children are middle-class Americans? It's not about a ''Hispanic'' identity, because what reason would it have to exist if they weren't making any less money than European-Americans? Asian-Americans had an identity, but how powerful is their political influence? It's insignificant, because they live as individuals like how most Americans do - and don't need someone else to fight or depend them.

''I feel many hispanics hold a much stronger tie to their countries of origin than let's say whites or blacks.''

Get real. That might be true if for someone who lives in southern Texas who wants to drive 2 or 3 hours to see their grandma every few months, but do you really believe that Dominicans, Colombians and other groups have done anything to remain their ties? They actually almost sever everything. It's not because they want that, but rather because they don't have enough money to maintain a steady connection. Because of the hours so many work, they often don't have the time either.

What makes you believe ''Hispanics'' aren't white? Or black? Why are you so focused into believing the system of American ignorance? Wouldn't it be wiser to see this from an international perspective that would likely go against that fashion of thinking. If you want an example of a descent that kept a good connection, use Greeks. Technically, they're white. Use Middle-Easterners. Technically, they're white. Although Jews don't often contain the best foreign connections (although many left to move to Israel as 30% of the Jews in their country came from the United States), but they have contained their religion and some cultural values. Use West Indians, they're black. They actually don't even want citizenship a lot of the time, because many of the countries they come from have such as much money and education as ours. Many come here simply to make money and than retire at home. This is especially true for nurses, because our country feels how you're medically treated depends on your income.

Latin Americans are along the middle of the line. Just because they're the most popular and seem to be the only immigrants in certain parts of Texas doesn't mean they have kept the best foreign connection. Of course, if you compared them to a white mid-westerner who couldn't even tell you what country his ancestors come from, they might look so culturally connection, but is that anything to be impressed about? Compare them to immigrants abroad, and they aren't so special.

The way how you look is getting less important every year. Whether they be Black, Asian or what ever immigrants - the most important indicator is that all of us will make the same money. That is the indicator for what kind of life you'll live in capitalism. That decides who has the power. And from the way it looks, everyone except for inner-city blacks seems to be on good tract to acquiring the ''American Dream'', which soon may become a thing of the past if Americans as a whole don't change their national direction.
Are you trying to be insulting here? I think you took my words out of context. If the term "Hispanic" bothers you, then use latino, chicano, or whatever you want, but my point remains the same. I live in CA, where Hispanics/latinos/Mexicans or whatever the hell you want to call them are by far the majority, and I am telling it like I see it.

And I can post some videos with speeches from Mayors, university professors and other latinos in power who ADMIT PUBLICALLY there preference for taking care of their own. So to refer that I am "idiotic" for such thoughts not only severely pisses me off, but is also wrong.

Also, I understand that "hispanics" come in all skin colors, I never made reference that I believed different. I however was referring to their culture, i.e. Spanish speaking, living in their own community enclaves and believing that with a majority of this type of behavior is the problem. Before making assumptions about what I meant or referring to my thoughts as "ignorant", perhaps next time you should clarify first.

As far as my reference to many whites and blacks not being aware of their ancestry, first of all I wasn't saying ALL, and second of all I am again going by my personal experience. Go do a random survey on the street, and ask a black person what country in Africa they're from. Ask a white person what country from Europe they're from. More times then you'd think, you will get " I don't know", or "I think I might be English or Irish". Why? Because they view themselves as AMERICANS, PERIOD. You wouldn't quite get the same answer from a Mexican, Cuban, El Salvadorean, etc., get my point now?

From now on if you disagree with one of my post, you should ask me what I meant if you're confused or politely disagree, but an entire essay of insulting my opinion isn't necessary. If you can't tell, I'm extremely angry and insulted by your post, and would appreciate a little respect in the future.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to be insulting here? I think you took my words out of context. If the term "Hispanic" bothers you, then use latino, chicano, or whatever you want, but my point remains the same. I live in CA, where Hispanics/latinos/Mexicans or whatever the hell you want to call them are by far the majority, and I am telling it like I see it.

I live in California and know for a fact Whites make up 60% if our population.

As far as my reference to many whites and blacks not being aware of their ancestry, first of all I wasn't saying ALL, and second of all I am again going by my personal experience. Go do a random survey on the street, and ask a black person what country in Africa they're from. Ask a white person what country from Europe they're from. More times then you'd think, you will get " I don't know", or "I think I might be English or Irish". Why? Because they view themselves as AMERICANS, PERIOD. You wouldn't quite get the same answer from a Mexican, Cuban, El Salvadorean, etc., get my point now?

Whats wrong with being proud of our heritage? I know some schools in Oakland have tribal dances from Africa. The only reason the African Americans don't know what part of country they were from is because they are the oldest populous minority in the U.S. Most Hispanics are from recent immigration therefore they know where their ancestors are from.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM

407 posts, read 714,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I live in California and know for a fact Whites make up 60% if our population.

Whats wrong with being proud of our heritage? I know some schools in Oakland have tribal dances from Africa. The only reason the African Americans don't know what part of country they were from is because they are the oldest populous minority in the U.S. Most Hispanics are from recent immigration therefore they know where their ancestors are from.

The majority in CA depends solely on where you live in the state.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of one's heritage, unless of course it happens to be white European heritage. At least that is what we kept being told every day by all of the liberals and minorities.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I live in California and know for a fact Whites make up 60% if our population..
To clarify, I meant my city and surrounding cities. 60-70% Hispanic, 20-30% white. Would you like sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologic View Post
Where the hell did you see me say ANYTHING about there being something wrong with being proud of your heritage? At my high school there was an ethnic assembly for every race EXCEPT white people because it was considered racist to be proud of being white. MY POINT was it is my OPINION that if the majority of the US and it's elected leaders become hispanic/latino that the US culture will be primarily represented by Latin culture, not American culture, and I have a HUGE problem with that. That's my OPINION, that I have every right to have, and if anyone doesn't like it that's too damn bad.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
The majority in CA depends solely on where you live in the state.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of one's heritage, unless of course it happens to be white European heritage. At least that is what we kept being told every day by all of the liberals and minorities.
Sure about that? What about St. Patrick festivals? Greek Festivals? Portuguese Festivals?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
To clarify, I meant my city and surrounding cities. 60-70% Hispanic, 20-30% white. Would you like sources?

Where the hell did you see me say ANYTHING about there being something wrong with being proud of your heritage? At my high school there was an ethnic assembly for every race EXCEPT white people because it was considered racist to be proud of being white. MY POINT was it is my OPINION that if the majority of the US and it's elected leaders become hispanic/latino that the US culture will be primarily represented by Latin culture, not American culture, and I have a HUGE problem with that. That's my OPINION, that I have every right to have, and if anyone doesn't like it that's too damn bad.
I highly doubt you meant your city, you mentioned California in General.

Depending on how recent immigrant your family is, I believe determines what your thoughts reflect. An immigrant will have a different way of thinking than a 1st or 2nd Generation American citizen. The different way of thinking reflects American culture in general. These Americans have been born and brought up in America.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt you meant your city, you mentioned California in General.
Now you're going to tell me what I meant? That's not what I meant, that would have been the purpose of CLARIFYING my statement, don't you think? I'm quite aware of the statistics for the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration