U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,271,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Last I checked E-verify only had access to federally issued picture IDs. Meaning if the applicant uses someone else's state issued ID with their own picture, and corresponding SS card that they could slip through the system undetected.
Here's the answer to my question:
https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/emplo...e-verification

The ability to validate the authenticity of state issued IDs is availabile in the E-Verify program thanks to the RIDE enhancement. Unfortunately only 7 states currently participate in that program, meaning that my previously mentioned "work-around" still can be used in the remaining 43 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM

31,828 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Quote:
Here's the answer to my question:
https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/emplo...e-verification

The ability to validate the authenticity of state issued IDs is availabile in the E-Verify program thanks to the RIDE enhancement. Unfortunately only 7 states currently participate in that program, meaning that my previously mentioned "work-around" still can be used in the remaining 43 states.

Which is exactly why it should be a federal mandate in every work place.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:10 PM

11,573 posts, read 5,543,963 times
Quote:
What does your daughter do about the illegal immigrants that use a stolen state issued ID and a Social Security card? E-Verify wouldn't be able to detect this.
It's up to the restaurant GM to deal with that. If they do discover that someone pulled a fast one (and it has happened), the person who pulled a fast one is fired.

Yes, it is a glaring flaw in E-verify. It also doesn't pick up illegals who name their anchor babies after themselves and then use said child's SSN. Congress and the senate have refused to fix this problem. After all, their mega-rich donors don't want it fixed and said donors come first and foremost.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,314,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It's up to the restaurant GM to deal with that. If they do discover that someone pulled a fast one (and it has happened), the person who pulled a fast one is fired.

Yes, it is a glaring flaw in E-verify. It also doesn't pick up illegals who name their anchor babies after themselves and then use said child's SSN. Congress and the senate have refused to fix this problem. After all, their mega-rich donors don't want it fixed and said donors come first and foremost.

In a Nutshell

Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM

25,496 posts, read 23,334,537 times
Quote:
^^^^Exactly!

My daughter works as a manager for a large chain restaurant. This restaurant chain uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take their jobs. This applies to both front and back of the house jobs. In some locations, the entire back of the house consists of American citizens---some who have worked those jobs for years.
I worked in restaurants most of my life. Your daughter's chain is not the exception, that is for sure, b/c when you walk into the kitchen of most every restaurant, in America today, it is filled with illegals, from all nations working. I watched as the managers would hand them their envelopes with cash.

and, every night, the managers would drive into where ever the illegals stood and waited for someone from the restaurant to come pick them up...to bring them to work in the kitchen.

And believe me, I worked in a whole lot of places as a waitress, (diners, high end restaurants to country clubs) only one place where I worked, was American people in the kitchen and it was a small family owned place. When a restaurant is family owned, they usually employ their family members. I remember once I became of age, and was able to sell drinks, what a rude awakening that was for me, couldn't believe all the illegals, who couldn't speak English working in kitchens.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

Unless you operate a restaurant in Mississippi, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota or Wisconsin and utilize E-Verify then you are probably hiring employees who are not legally authorized to work in the U.S., willful or not.

E-Verify is next to worthless in the remaining 43 states which do not currently participate in the RIDE program. If you employ people in one of those places there is no possible way to avoid hiring illegals and you most likely do so without even realizing it. Furthermore, no employer in those places should be held accountable for employing illegal immigrants since it is out of their control. They are simply not equipped to prevent it.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM

25,496 posts, read 23,334,537 times
I'm going back oh, maybe 10 - 12 years...went into a Chinese Restaurant. The young man who waited on me, was very pleasant and we got to talking, he told me right out, he was living here illegally, working hard, to become an American citizen so he could attend college and do better by his family. He told me there were many people here illegally that didn't intend on becoming a citizen...and he thought that was extremely bad for our country.

He could have been giving me the business who knows?

Now that restaurants are hiring men, it's easy for illegals to get jobs on the wait staff...

again, I have no problem with people coming to America who dream to become a citizen....

I don't believe many American's mind that at all.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:14 PM

11,573 posts, read 5,543,963 times
Quote:
Unless you operate a restaurant in Mississippi, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota or Wisconsin and utilize E-Verify then you are probably hiring employees who are not legally authorized to work in the U.S., willful or not.

E-Verify is next to worthless in the remaining 43 states which do not currently participate in the RIDE program. If you employ people in one of those places there is no possible way to avoid hiring illegals and you most likely do so without even realizing it. Furthermore, no employer in those places should be held accountable for employing illegal immigrants since it is out of their control. They are simply not equipped to prevent it.
The chain my daughter works for is in all 50 states. Nationwide, the chain uses E-verify. It's not the only chain that does it either. RIDE needs to be implemented nationwide---no argument there. However, I give those lots of credit for using E-verify when they don't have to do so.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:18 PM

31,828 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm going back oh, maybe 10 - 12 years...went into a Chinese Restaurant. The young man who waited on me, was very pleasant and we got to talking, he told me right out, he was living here illegally, working hard, to become an American citizen so he could attend college and do better by his family. He told me there were many people here illegally that didn't intend on becoming a citizen...and he thought that was extremely bad for our country.

He could have been giving me the business who knows?

Now that restaurants are hiring men, it's easy for illegals to get jobs on the wait staff...

again, I have no problem with people coming to America who dream to become a citizen....

I don't believe many American's mind that at all.

I think most Americans do mind if they come here illegally first and then strive to be a citizen. That isn't the way it works nor should it. The first step to citizenship begins in their homeland by applying to come here legally first.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The chain my daughter works for is in all 50 states. Nationwide, the chain uses E-verify. It's not the only chain that does it either. RIDE needs to be implemented nationwide---no argument there. However, I give those lots of credit for using E-verify when they don't have to do so.
It's a cute symbolic gesture at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or