U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 PM

11,515 posts, read 5,521,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It's a cute symbolic gesture at best.
"Cute"? Seriously?

Are you saying that even though it is flawed, that E-verify should not be used? Sorry, if you think that way but I strongly disagree. I applaud any business that is making an effort and using what tools there are to avoid hiring illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 AM

13,180 posts, read 10,591,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm going back oh, maybe 10 - 12 years...went into a Chinese Restaurant. The young man who waited on me, was very pleasant and we got to talking, he told me right out, he was living here illegally, working hard, to become an American citizen so he could attend college and do better by his family. He told me there were many people here illegally that didn't intend on becoming a citizen...and he thought that was extremely bad for our country.

He could have been giving me the business who knows?

Now that restaurants are hiring men, it's easy for illegals to get jobs on the wait staff...

again, I have no problem with people coming to America who dream to become a citizen....

I don't believe many American's mind that at all.
The problem is that our corporations are using legal and illegal immigration to cut or reduce our pay: McDonalds Hires Foreign H-1Bs, Fires 70 American Accounting Staff - Tea Party News. Notice, towards the bottom of that article, how Black compensation took major 'hits' in almost all Ohioan cities between 2009 to 2014.

Unions in America, except for civil service unions; have been pretty much destroyed. So now big business has it's sights set on the rest of the jobs - they will do anything to contain cost so they can raise their own salaries (greed).

Old 09-21-2016, 05:16 AM

25,469 posts, read 23,295,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The dirty jobs I did fresh out of HS are now all done by recent immigrants. Do not know if legal or otherwise. Same with some service sector jobs.
Your right and I blame a lot of this on parents, for not demanding their kids get off the sofa and work part time jobs in the summers and on weekends. It's sad, b/c this aides in getting them ready for adulthood and serves as a responsibility maker.

We all got jobs, all of us kids...., and it taught us a lot, it was effective in teaching us financial education, and how to manage it, to have to work to save for a few things that we wanted, we learned that money doesn't grow on trees. We also enjoyed working with other kids our own age, and learned team work, how to problem solve. Working as a teen, we learned work experience, we gained connections thru other people, it provided constructive use of free time, and it provided a healthy outlook and transition to adulthood, plus gave us savings towards college.

Part times jobs are beneficial in so many ways, and yet, parents no longer encourage their kids to work, which is a huge mistake, huge.

Those jobs you speak of used to be taken by us kids who worked part time...it is such a shame....and we were always taught, there is nothing demeaning about dirty jobs.

Someone once said to me, "you sure have had your share of different jobs during the course of my life". I did..and it was not only a healthy experience, but it helped me chose my career...plus gave me so much experience that helped me at home to.

I don't know why parents coddle their kids so much...all it does is make them weak.

At 13 years old I worked in a bakery, making donuts, washing all the baking pans, sweeping and cleaning up, and decorating cakes. I made .50 cents an hour.

When I was 16 went to work at a local diner, where a lot of kids worked...we had a great team of workers and bus boys....made a lot of friends....and meant wonderful people.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-21-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 AM

25,469 posts, read 23,295,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think most Americans do mind if they come here illegally first and then strive to be a citizen. That isn't the way it works nor should it. The first step to citizenship begins in their homeland by applying to come here legally first.
I'm sorry, that is what I meant...but neglected to say, this young man was here illegally, but most American's don't mind if they pursue to become legal citizens, the legal way...what I found interesting, even back then that he didn't fear talking about himself being here illegally. It was as though it was all right to do...which even back then, painted a picture of entitlements, and disrespect for laws. What he told me was, distant relative who were here as legal citizens, would put him up while he was here working, and going thru the process.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 AM

31,586 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Your right and I blame a lot of this on parents, for not demanding their kids get off the sofa and work part time jobs in the summers and on weekends. It's sad, b/c this aides in getting them ready for adulthood and serves as a responsibility maker.

We all got jobs, all of us kids...., and it taught us a lot, it was effective in teaching us financial education, and how to manage it, to have to work to save for a few things that we wanted, we learned that money doesn't grow on trees. We also enjoyed working with other kids our own age, and learned team work, how to problem solve. Working as a teen, we learned work experience, we gained connections thru other people, it provided constructive use of free time, and it provided a healthy outlook and transition to adulthood, plus gave us savings towards college.

Part times jobs are beneficial in so many ways, and yet, parents no longer encourage their kids to work, which is a huge mistake, huge.

Those jobs you speak of used to be taken by us kids who worked part time...it is such a shame....and we were always taught, there is nothing demeaning about dirty jobs.

Someone once said to me, "you sure have had your share of different jobs during the course of my life". I did..and it was not only a healthy experience, but it helped me chose my career...plus gave me so much experience that helped me at home to.

I don't know why parents coddle their kids so much...all it does is make them weak.

At 13 years old I worked in a bakery, making donuts, washing all the baking pans, sweeping and cleaning up, and decorating cakes. I made .50 cents an hour.

When I was 16 went to work at a local diner, where a lot of kids worked...we had a great team of workers and bus boys....made a lot of friends....and meant wonderful people.

I don't think that most parents are coddling their kids today and allowing them to be couch potatoes. The jobs that American kids used to do have been taken by illegal aliens so the opportunities just aren't there anymore.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
It's a cute symbolic gesture at best.

Symbolic gesture? E-verify is highly accurate. At a McDonalds near me you only see black and white kids working there. It used to be mostly Hispanics. Mind you, I know that many Hispanics are here legally but the change was a tell all.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:32 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,258,422 times
Quote:
Symbolic gesture? E-verify is highly accurate. At a McDonalds near me you only see black and white kids working there. It used to be mostly Hispanics. Mind you, I know that many Hispanics are here legally but the change was a tell all.
I pointed out the flaws of E-verify above. The black market in CA is vast. There are plenty of places there where for a few hundred dollars you can get hooked up with a state ID and corresponding SS Card that belong to a citizen/legal resident but have your own picture plastered to the front of the card. They call this a "mica." Without the RIDE enhancement (not currently offered in CA), this would slip by the E-Verify pre-employment check undetected.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I pointed out the flaws of E-verify above. The black market in CA is vast. There are plenty of places there where for a few hundred dollars you can get hooked up with a state ID and corresponding SS Card that belong to a citizen/legal resident but have your own picture plastered to the front of the card. They call this a "mica." Without the RIDE enhancement (not currently offered in CA), this would slip by the E-Verify pre-employment check undetected.

Which is why I said e-verify (along with RIDE) needs to be federally mandated in every workplace.

https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndToo...Improving.aspx

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,258,422 times
Quote:
Which is why I said e-verify (along with RIDE) needs to be federally mandated in every workplace.

https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndToo...Improving.aspx
Dude you just said that E-Verify was "highly accurate." You talk in circles on this message board. It's getting a bit obnoxious.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Dude you just said that E-Verify was "highly accurate." You talk in circles on this message board. It's getting a bit obnoxious.

Obnoxious? My, my. E-verify is very accurate.

How accurate is E-Verify? Cont. | Homeland Security News Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or