U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:55 AM

31,543 posts, read 14,591,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, I started in the construction trades right out of high school.

In 10 years the 1986 green card act was passed. Within one year of that passing, I was no longer framing homes like I had 10 years prior. House painting and roofing was a short stint, before I was out of work, or lower my price significantly. Then off to the flooring trades.
By 2004 I could only get work, if I significantly lowered my price per sq.ft. and I had to take a one price fits all attitude just to land a bid to feed the family, which basically bankrupted me, as no 2 jobs are the same.
It came to the point, I was going to have to join them if I could not beat them. It was either hire a bunch of illegals and pray for volume, over quality to make it, or close the business and let them have it. I refused to hire illegals, so I had to reprogram myself, from the craftsman I am, to a inspector of those doing the work. From Blue collar and loving it to white collar and hating it.

That's true of a lot of Americans. They have been forced out of their blue collared jobs by illegal aliens to work jobs they don't even enjoy just to feed their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:28 PM

11,835 posts, read 3,272,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, I started in the construction trades right out of high school.

In 10 years the 1986 green card act was passed. Within one year of that passing, I was no longer framing homes like I had 10 years prior. House painting and roofing was a short stint, before I was out of work, or lower my price significantly. Then off to the flooring trades.
By 2004 I could only get work, if I significantly lowered my price per sq.ft. and I had to take a one price fits all attitude just to land a bid to feed the family, which basically bankrupted me, as no 2 jobs are the same.
It came to the point, I was going to have to join them if I could not beat them. It was either hire a bunch of illegals and pray for volume, over quality to make it, or close the business and let them have it. I refused to hire illegals, so I had to reprogram myself, from the craftsman I am, to a inspector of those doing the work. From Blue collar and loving it to white collar and hating it.
Some act like illegals (and immigrants in general) are only taking blue collar jobs. While that's not true, even if it was true it still affects everyone in the labor market. Where are the American blue collar workers going to go? Why, into the white color workforce, increasing competition and driving down pay. I bet there are Americans who were pushed out of a blue collar field by illegals, then went to a white color field to be pushed out by other immigrants H1B or whatever.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 PM

33,146 posts, read 39,115,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's true of a lot of Americans. They have been forced out of their blue collared jobs by illegal aliens to work jobs they don't even enjoy just to feed their families.
If Americans did the jobs there would be no jobs for the illegal aliens to take.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If Americans did the jobs there would be no jobs for the illegal aliens to take.
American's can't do the jobs that illegals are being hired to do in place of Americans. Do you not understand what "pushed out" means? You're trying to blame the victim.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,115,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
American's can't do the jobs that illegals are being hired to do in place of Americans. Do you not understand what "pushed out" means? You're trying to blame the victim.
To clarify Give some examples of jobs Americans cant do or are being pushed out of as i cant think of a single job that Mexicans can do that an American cant do..

Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Oh no a link to FAIR. You know the libs will cry foul.

It's unFAIR?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:57 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are 23 million unemployed Americans what makes you think those jobs would go unfilled? Why wouldn't those blue-collared American workers want those jobs back at a fair wage again? As I said, why would Americans take agricultural jobs when there are already unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers? I repeat, it's only seasonal work not a career job for Americans. The body can only take that kind of work for so many years anyway. Many Americans don't live in rural areas either.

For one thing, there is a spatial mismatch between farm jobs and the mass of unemployed.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 AM

31,543 posts, read 14,591,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For one thing, there is a spatial mismatch between farm jobs and the mass of unemployed.

Not sure what you mean here. Could you clarify?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
To clarify Give some examples of jobs Americans cant do or are being pushed out of as i cant think of a single job that Mexicans can do that an American cant do..
There are millions of illegals working in the US. Americans can't do a job an illegal is already taking.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 PM

385 posts, read 228,047 times
Quote:
You mean, if 10 million+ Americans citizens knowingly participated in broad-scale tax fraud, there would be no jobs to take? I mean come on, to compete with an illegal you would have to work under the table, right? Yeah, I'll pass on the tax evasion charges thank you.

It is completely obvious that illegals suppress wages and worker rights. Illegal is the new Pinkerton. We had the great robber barons of the past and it sure looks like we are starting to turn back to that page in history. Same story, different characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or