Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 05:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,797,582 times

Advertisements

The dirty jobs I did fresh out of HS are now all done by recent immigrants. Do not know if legal or otherwise. Same with some service sector jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM

62,682 posts, read 28,856,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The dirty jobs I did fresh out of HS are now all done by recent immigrants. Do not know if legal or otherwise. Same with some service sector jobs.

Construction, landscaping, hotel, restaurant work, etc. All use to be done by Americans for a fair wage. They can't get those jobs anymore because of the millions of cheap, illegals doing them now.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,311,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Construction, landscaping, hotel, restaurant work, etc. All use to be done by Americans for a fair wage. They can't get those jobs anymore because of the millions of cheap, illegals doing them now.
Come to Minnesota. We'll put you to work I promise!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM

22,327 posts, read 11,850,110 times
Quote:
No one has the right to hire illegal aliens no matter how low their margin might be. With many seniors looking to sub their SS and our youth and college kids looking for entry level or part time jobs I seriously doubt there is a true labor shortage in the restaurant business. It still comes down to wanting cheap, illegal labor to increase their profits.
^^^^Exactly!

My daughter works as a manager for a large chain restaurant. This restaurant chain uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take their jobs. This applies to both front and back of the house jobs. In some locations, the entire back of the house consists of American citizens---some who have worked those jobs for years.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Exactly!

My daughter works as a manager for a large chain restaurant. This restaurant chain uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take their jobs. This applies to both front and back of the house jobs. In some locations, the entire back of the house consists of American citizens---some who have worked those jobs for years.
What does your daughter do about the illegal immigrants that use a stolen state issued ID and a Social Security card? E-Verify wouldn't be able to detect this.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:52 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,151,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am posting a link that shows the jobs that are taken by illegal aliens from each state.

I know many think they just work in orange groves , but they work in housing, construction and many other areas.. many jobs taken.

Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)

Maybe your title of this thread, might be a bit confusing, b/c most people identify illegal's as Mexicans, which isn't true...illegals now carry a wide range of people from all different countries...coming in to work on the H1B program...and corporations are taking advantage of this by laying off America employees to hire people from other countries...much cheaper for them....

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Maybe your title of this thread, might be a bit confusing, b/c most people identify illegal's as Mexicans, which isn't true...illegals now carry a wide range of people from all different countries...coming in to work on the H1B program...and corporations are taking advantage of this by laying off America employees to hire people from other countries...much cheaper for them....

I don't think the title of this topic is confusing. He didn't mention Mexicans in particular as illegal aliens. The fact is that most of them are though. Not sure that those coming in on the H1B program are illegals for the most part but foreigners coming in on visas to take white collared jobs for less money.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
What does your daughter do about the illegal immigrants that use a stolen state issued ID and a Social Security card? E-Verify wouldn't be able to detect this.

Yes, there are ways to identify illegal aliens using stolen SS numbers via e-verify. The system is set up to do just that.

By the way, I am retired so I don't need a job and I already lived in the frigid Northeast so no thanks.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are ways to identify illegal aliens using stolen SS numbers via e-verify. The system is set up to do just that.

By the way, I am retired so I don't need a job and I already lived in the frigid Northeast so no thanks.
Last I checked E-verify only had access to federally issued picture IDs. Meaning if the applicant uses someone else's state issued ID with their own picture, and corresponding SS card that they could slip through the system undetected.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,201,393 times
Default One of my many trips with the wife to the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am posting a link that shows the jobs that are taken by illegal aliens from each state.

I know many think they just work in orange groves , but they work in housing, construction and many other areas.. many jobs taken.

Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)

But I refuse to shuffle behind her when she goes into Victoria's Secrets. Creeps me out.

So I sit on a mall bench and watch for her to exit that store. Well 10 years ago I was sitting on that bench and waiting for her and watching women exit the day spa located beside it. Ten years later, still on that bench doing the same thing. But now the women exiting the day spa were all hispanic.

Times they are "a changing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration