Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times

Advertisements

Where I live is practically chicken central. Been that way for years! Purdue, Tyson, Mountaire and others. Chicken farms all over. Corn grown for chicken feed all over. Chicken processing and packaging plants all over. Illegals all over from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Haiti. Haiti is the most recent, the others have multiplied immensely since the 90's

In other words, all these jobs not wanted by Americans were filled with Americans in the past. What happened? They started hiring and actively seeking illegals! That's what.

I live in a major coastal resort. In the past, there were a few Irish student workers in season but then The IRA (i guess went away and Ireland cleaned up) They don't come here anymore. That opened the door for even more student work visas issued from Russia and it's break away country's as well as any other poor ****hole country in which we wanted the students to work here for experience. Of course, as expected, those from poor country's just don't want to go back and they conveniently miss their flight out. Now all our seasonal jobs are filled with these foreign workers who then overstay and take what few year round jobs there are here.

In the past a kid just out of high school would come here for a summer of work and play. If he liked the beach seen, he may have gone ahead and stayed and went to one of the nearby university's or get a job "banging nails' or directing traffic, painting or anything like that in the off season. Times were good and American youth had jobs.

Now if American you might as well not apply. Most seasonal employees get hired overseas and all the construction, chicken processors, traffic directors jobs, etc... get sought after and advertised in known illegal neighborhoods and Spanish radio. Very few jobs are advertised where an English speaking American can find it. I will listen to Spanish Radio and TV (My wife is a Legal resident from Colombia) and can read and understand Spanish to see the help wanted signs in Spanish and here them on the radio. Good paying jobs that are year round.

Again, Americans need not apply.
Pure frikin B F'n S!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
It is obvious--and proven--that desperate illegals have filled many unskilled-level jobs in America. What is NOT so obvious is the ripple effect of an oversupply of labor in the less-skilled portion of the labor market: i.e., the psychological effect on the entire labor force that they are NOT an equal partner in negotiations with employers.

Prior to about 1970, labor and capitalists (business owners/CEOs) had about equal power, and negotiated an equitable split of profits and productivity gains of the post-WWII manufacturing boom. This happy balance gave us unparalleled prosperity and a huge Middle Class that in turn boosted the world economy. The balance was disrupted, however, as a tidal wave of poor, unskilled workers flowed into America as a result of the open-door immigration changes of 1965.

The result is that today, CEOs treat even the most highly skilled workers as easily-replaceable widgets whose cost MUST be minimized more and move every year. For example, it doesn't matter that in reality, only a handful of engineers in the nation have the education and experience to keep a nuclear plant running and providing electricity to the grid--Robber-Baron CEOs still keep their salaries at a level far below do-nothing "executive" positions, and force them to be available 24/7/52, while reducing their company-paid benefits to the point that not even the employee's health care insurance is fully covered. And with capitalists (and the CEOs who act like they own the businesses they run into the ground) fully convinced they have ALL the power in negotiations with labor, the worker ends up having to settle for whatever the employer wants to give. And every year, that is LESS.

The workaholic Baby Boomers who still keep the electric grid and other infrastructure running are fast dying off, retiring, or becoming too sick to work. And there is NOBODY in the pipeline to replace them, since for decades now the Robber Baron CEOs have continued to minimize staff and keep only the most experienced, most productive employees. Because of the system that rewards short-term profits and running up stock prices, Big Business leaders became so incredibly greedy and short-sighted that they cashed in the ability of the company to function in the future.

You wonder why everything seems to be falling apart, why the power goes out once a month instead of once every few years (as in my youth)? That's part of the reason. And it is only going to get worse. A nation where the working class has been devalued to the point that nobody wants to be in it, is a nation headed for disaster.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
So many good and factual posts in here. When will some people wake up or even care? They seem to value foreigners here more so than our own citizens/workforce. In the end we will all pay for this nation crushing greed and nonsense.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Trump is a narcissistic moron whom I don't support, but he is the only one
With the courage to address this problem. Too bad he couldn't act like a civil adult
and get America to wake up about it.

I lived in the Southwest for years and saw many people lose their jobs to illegals.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Where I live is practically chicken central. Been that way for years! Purdue, Tyson, Mountaire and others. Chicken farms all over. Corn grown for chicken feed all over. Chicken processing and packaging plants all over. Illegals all over from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Haiti. Haiti is the most recent, the others have multiplied immensely since the 90's

In other words, all these jobs not wanted by Americans were filled with Americans in the past. What happened? They started hiring and actively seeking illegals! That's what.

I live in a major coastal resort. In the past, there were a few Irish student workers in season but then The IRA (i guess went away and Ireland cleaned up) They don't come here anymore. That opened the door for even more student work visas issued from Russia and it's break away country's as well as any other poor ****hole country in which we wanted the students to work here for experience. Of course, as expected, those from poor country's just don't want to go back and they conveniently miss their flight out. Now all our seasonal jobs are filled with these foreign workers who then overstay and take what few year round jobs there are here.

In the past a kid just out of high school would come here for a summer of work and play. If he liked the beach seen, he may have gone ahead and stayed and went to one of the nearby university's or get a job "banging nails' or directing traffic, painting or anything like that in the off season. Times were good and American youth had jobs.

Now if American you might as well not apply. Most seasonal employees get hired overseas and all the construction, chicken processors, traffic directors jobs, etc... get sought after and advertised in known illegal neighborhoods and Spanish radio. Very few jobs are advertised where an English speaking American can find it. I will listen to Spanish Radio and TV (My wife is a Legal resident from Colombia) and can read and understand Spanish to see the help wanted signs in Spanish and here them on the radio. Good paying jobs that are year round.

Again, Americans need not apply.
Pure frikin B F'n S!
I'm not far from you, they rule the construction trades as well. We have had a huge housing boom for the last 10 years and illegals have that work as well. Builders love paying those low wages for workers while increasing the price of their homes by 50%, although the houses cost the same or less to build then they did 10 years ago.

The electrical trade has protected itself by having rules on who can pull wire in a new home, plumbing hasn't and although the license tests for each trade is similar (5 years school, 12,000 hours of work to sit for master license test) the plumbing trade didn't protect themselves and they are suffering. Tech schools have taken it out because kids can make more at McDonalds than they can becoming an apprentice plumber. It's a shame really. As a licensed plumber myself, it makes me sick when other licensed plumbers pull permits for the illegals, I blame them as much as I blame the builders.

Both of my kids have worked on the boardwalk since they were 14 but getting the jobs was a nightmare, other kids haven't been so lucky, restaurants will write to the local paper about how American don't want to work but I know of 4 kids who couldn't get a job at those restaurants. I'm talking National Honor Soceity kids, who were turned down for these jobs, being told "we don't need help right now" but yet they complain about these same kids.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM

435 posts, read 430,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So many good and factual posts in here. When will some people wake up or even care? They seem to value foreigners here more so than our own citizens/workforce. In the end we will all pay for this nation crushing greed and nonsense.
Well I care. My nanny is a US Citizen, the guy who mows my lawn is a US citizen and the lady who cleans my house is a US citizen (I'm a working mom with small kiddos so need the help).

Now, I have to pay more to them instead of hiring illegals but it is absolutely the right thing to do. It isn't that I don't think illegals aren't human and deserve basic respect, it is just that they are breaking the law and I don't support that. Also, I understand that my taxes go to pay for people on unemployment. So the more citizens that are unemployed the more my taxes are going to go up.

Frankly, this whole "illegals do the jobs that Americans won't" is a bunch of crap. My nanny is personally offended by comments like that. She loves her job and likes working with kids. The guy who mows my lawn, same thing. He takes pride in his job and enjoys doing it. Cleaning - yes - my cleaning lady seems happy and I have friends who do this for a living and enjoy it. Heck, when I'm not too busy, I very much enjoy making the house sparkle too. When I was 14, I spent the summer corn detassling. I was really excited to have this agricultural job. It was messy. I had to wear a plastic bag b/c the corn would cut you, get you wet and it was hot out and there were TONS of bugs. But I was truly happy to have this job so that I could make some $$ for clothes! None of these jobs are beneath anyone.

While I keep listening, I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why we should have open borders. I guess I will just keep listening. In the mean time, I won't hire illegals.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am posting a link that shows the jobs that are taken by illegal aliens from each state.

I know many think they just work in orange groves , but they work in housing, construction and many other areas.. many jobs taken.

Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)
I thought Ailes got fired?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
I've spent many years as a consultant in the building business and as a licensed General Contractor. The vast majority of construction workers here in NC are, without question, illegal. The are subcontractors where one, the boss, speaks English and is likely legal. He is the one who gets paid. He in turn, distributes the wages to the "illegals." They work for far less than our citizens-which appeals to builders who are under pressure to reduce or contain costs. Most of the "Americans" that I know in the business have since bailed because they could not compete. I haven't seen anyone other than hispanics installing sheetrock, roofs or doing framing/boxing for several years. We are now starting to see quite a few hispanic plumbers and even some electricians. Do they hold wages down-absolutely. Should employers be held liable for hiring illegals-I believe so.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
How about ...."American employers are giving our jobs to illegals" you should be whining about people who "illegally" hire them. Farmers, factories, construction, gardeners, nannies, dish washers... Etc.
People want cheap labor to improve their bottom line... It's all about the money!
Put the blame where it squarely belongs.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How about ...."American employers are giving our jobs to illegals" you should be whining about people who "illegally" hire them. Farmers, factories, construction, gardeners, nannies, dish washers... Etc.
People want cheap labor to improve their bottom line... It's all about the money!
Put the blame where it squarely belongs.

Actually, the blame is threefold here. The employers, our government and the illegal aliens themselves. They are all equally guilty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration