Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wouldn't flee to another country for economic opportunity at the expense of the rightful citizens of that country. Many of us aren't "round em all" people either we just want our laws on the books enforced which isn't happening anymore.
She wasn't fleeing for economic opportunity. Did you read the article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Outside of the language barrier, Hispanic culture isn't that much different from ours. ( Leaving out the horrific mess that the gangs have caused down there, but that's not so much cultural as economic)

We were founded by Christians, so were they. Culturally not that different. Mind you- I am not advocating for the clusterf*** that our current system is. I'm just sympathetic to this college educated woman's cause and think that she and her family are exactly the sort of immigrants we should be welcoming.
Do it LEGALLY or stay home. Period.

Too; IF "Hispanic culture" was that close to our English based culture, LatAm should be rich. It ain't, for some reason.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Deal them a hand, but be sure to cut the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Because the Dumb Gringo will pay for everything.

Next thing, they'll be calling themselves "Obama's guests" the way refugees in Germany are refusing to work because they say they're "Merkel's guests."
Nah. I seriously doubt that Germany can afford to pay for useless mouths over there, & politically, I'm certain that we won't stand for it here - nor should we. As a humanitarian concern, if we can vet potential refugees from Central America & they seem OK, I can see giving them conditional refugee status for two years or so, to establish a track record of work or education. I think the majority of the people fleeing to the US from C. America would be only too pleased to work or go to school - as I understand it, that's why they're fleeing their homelands - because conditions there have become unlivable, & they can't see any viable future for themselves nor their families.

It's worth reviewing how Central America became such a hellhole - but that's a separate discussion.

If refugees keep their noses clean, work, study, build up their families, I'd be willing to continue extending their legal stay for two years @ a time in the US until they qualify for naturalization. Otherwise, particularly if they become felons, I'd say we deport them forthwith, not to return until we've worked through all the other applicants on the list with them (which would effectively be never. So it goes.)

Old 08-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Do it LEGALLY or stay home. Period.

Too; IF "Hispanic culture" was that close to our English based culture, LatAm should be rich. It ain't, for some reason.
How the hell was she supposed to do it legally? Did you even read the article that you posted in your own OP?

Please, explain. I'm all ears.

Or we're you just looking to vent? Again.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:05 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
She wasn't fleeing for economic opportunity. Did you read the article?

I wasn't referring to her in particular. Just expressing what I wouldn't do. Most illegals are coming here for economic opportunity at the expense of our own citizen's rights and needs. I would only flee my country if my life were in danger and I'd ask for asylum.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Round up the usual suspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan
You all but said Hispanic culture's "trash" since those people bypassed LatAm to head to the US.

Quote:
No I didn't.

If you were going to risk your life, your families lives, and everything you had, wouldn't you head for the best country in the world?
Yah, well, they'd probably like to head to Canada. But the US is on the way. & Mexico, by the way, is very hard on immigrants from their south because the US pressures them to do so, plus we provide a fair amount of aid - money, equipment, vehicles, helos, training, probably drones - & encouragement to do so. (Because the more the immigrant/refugee stream is attrited on the way, the fewer people we have to deal with on our border with Mexico.)

This underlying reality is also why immigrants/refugees transiting Mexico on the way to the US are treated so savagely by bandits, coyotes & anyone else with a taste for plunder & mayhem on the way. This may include Mexican rurales & certainly underworld groups in Mexico - they all know that the victims won't appeal to the Mexican police nor courts, as the transients know precisely how unwanted they are in Mexico.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are seeing failed states all lover the world where law and order is collapsing and people are fleeing for their very lives.

They are allowed to come to America as illegal aliens because it is the "humane" thing to do. Yes America is a very generous nation but the trouble is when these people immigrate here they are not leaving their problems at the border.

How long will it be before we start seeing collapses on our nation?

There are already places in Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and other cities where people (whites) risk their lives in going.

We have seen videos of muslim neighborhoods in Europe where the Police are kept from entering.

How long will it be before the problems of the Third World countries start to really rot the core of America?
This exactly. Demographics is destiny. Third world countries are the way they are because of population groups there, their genetic and inheritable traits and tendencies. Just as the 1st world is the product of the predominate groups there and their genetic and inheritable traits and tendencies. Bring in and gather people from the 3rd world and you get more or less third world results. Bring in and gather people from the 1st world and get 1st world results. Not to mention just the general incompatibility issues and overpopulation from continuous mass multi-racial immigration.

Nature created diversity and the drive to separation, and progressive seek to destroy diversity by forcing all the races and ethnics together. We already know what that looks like in latin America. There's no diversity in turning the US into some sort of another latin American 2nd or third world country.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Outside of the language barrier, Hispanic culture isn't that much different from ours. ( Leaving out the horrific mess that the gangs have caused down there, but that's not so much cultural as economic)

We were founded by Christians, so were they. Culturally not that different. Mind you- I am not advocating for the clusterf*** that our current system is. I'm just sympathetic to this college educated woman's cause and think that she and her family are exactly the sort of immigrants we should be welcoming.

I know it is viewed negatively in here to talk about certain cultures and it's not a part of the topic but since you are speaking about it I will simply reply to you. I am suspicious of cultures that have a tribal mentality. It seems very arrogant to me and it usually means they have no consideration for those outside the tribe. Some cultures do not truly assimilate into our society either.

Back on topic, the woman and her daughter in the article certainly sound like legitimate asylum seekers though. I just wish we weren't the only country that they are fleeing to. It's going to one day take a negative toll on our country and our own citizens with so many coming here in fact it already has. Where do we draw the line?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Eyeless in Gaza, at the mill with slaves,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
This exactly. Demographics is destiny. Third world countries are the way they are because of population groups there, their genetic and inheritable traits and tendencies. Just as the 1st world is the product of the predominate groups there and their genetic and inheritable traits and tendencies. Bring in and gather people from the 3rd world and you get more or less third world results. Bring in and gather people from the 1st world and get 1st world results. Not to mention just the general incompatibility issues and overpopulation from continuous mass multi-racial immigration.

Nature created diversity and the drive to separation, and progressive seek to destroy diversity by forcing all the races and ethnics together. We already know what that looks like in latin America. There's no diversity in turning the US into some sort of another latin American 2nd or third world country.
You write as if Third world & 1st world were immutable categories, foreordained by God & the heavenly host, valid once & forever, World without end, amen. They are not. Up until the Civil War or so, the US was regarded as a quaint country, fit to war on Mexico & intervene in the Caribbean & Central & South America. The World took notice when we pushed the Spanish Empire in the Caribbean into the drink, & tumbled the Spanish fleet & army in the Philippines into an early retirement. & then took over the landlord's manse for ourselves (to Christianize the Philippines, we told ourselves. Never mind that the Spanish had been on hand doing the same missionary work since 1564CE - but it had only been 334 years or so - what's a century or two among conquistadores, eh?)

& of course, Europe was down for a long time, Islam was up & down, the Spanish, Portuguese, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, British, Italy/Rome, Greece - it seems like everyone takes a turn. There may be a lesson there.

There are concrete reasons that the New World is the way it is now, along with the Caribbean. You could look into that - I'd start with John Negroponte, former Director of National Intelligence, I believe it's called. Look @ his career - & John Foster Dulles & his brother @ CIA in Pres. Eisenhower's admin, & Guatemala, & the US intervention in Iran around the same time. There's a lot of history there.

& as to the US as another kind of Latin America - well, yah, I believe the US is now the 2nd-largest Spanish-speaking population in the World - last time I looked. ¡Cuídate, México!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know it is viewed negatively in here to talk about certain cultures and it's not a part of the topic but since you are speaking about it I will simply reply to you. I am suspicious of cultures that have a tribal mentality. It seems very arrogant to me and it usually means they have no consideration for those outside the tribe. Some cultures do not truly assimilate into our society either.

Back on topic, the woman and her daughter in the article certainly sound like legitimate asylum seekers though. I just wish we weren't the only country that they are fleeing to. It's going to one day take a negative toll on our country and our own citizens with so many coming here in fact it already has. Where do we draw the line?
The people coming here for economic reasons need to stay home. We have enough of our own poverty.

And not you, but some other people around here just want to trash talk Hispanic people or black people, even if they are Americans.

There are a ton of Hispanics where I live. I'm not happy about the fact that many of them are here illegally. It has put enormous pressure on our school system, emergency rooms, etc.

That said, I haven't found them to be tribalistic. Maybe it's just my city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration