U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,806,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Using illegals to undercut Americans/green card holders is a very bad thing-------at best.
This bill has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:SN00988:

If you look at the co-sponsors, you will notice the names of even the most hardcore anti-illegal politicians on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,182,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
This bill has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:SN00988:

If you look at the co-sponsors, you will notice the names of even the most hardcore anti-illegal politicians on there.
Of course it does, blacknight. The goal here is to provide businesses with a source of cheap labor to lower the wage standards for ALL workers, and if the American public is finally fed up with ILLEGAL workers the government, at the behest of those same businesses, will do all it can to increase those numbers legally.

The bottom line is that the more workers there are, the lower the wages go, and the higher the profits climb, American workers be damned.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM

206 posts, read 366,605 times
The economic impact on the American worker and the middle-class in general is obvious to anyone capable of basic reasoning. The bigger issue is what sort of action we are willing to take. For the same amount of time spent blogging, we could email or call our representatives.

Most of us who care about the American worker and who are honest with ourselves concede to the gravity of this situation. Now, can we move beyond common agreement to actio
n?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
The economic impact on the American worker and the middle-class in general is obvious to anyone capable of basic reasoning. The bigger issue is what sort of action we are willing to take. For the same amount of time spent blogging, we could email or call our representatives.

Most of us who care about the American worker and who are honest with ourselves concede to the gravity of this situation. Now, can we move beyond common agreement to actio
n?
Absolutely!! NumbersUSA is a great resource for contacting your elected reps on this issue. The free faxes are easy to send and definitely have an impact. If you have unlimited long distance direct calls to Capitol Hill are also a good thing. Most of the girls in my reps offices know me by name when I call.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:22 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,174,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post

n?
So is this what its about? Not the money, but the blue collar American worker?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
So is this what its about? Not the money, but the blue collar American worker?
For me this is exactly what it's about, since 'blue-collar American worker' is what I am. I, along with millions of others, were raised believing that it didn't take a college degree to get a piece of the American dream, all it took was a willingness to learn a trade, work hard and play fair. What's killed it for me is the millions of people who have come here without permission and flooded ALL the trades, causing my earnings to plummet to the point that my children suffer for it.

That, my friend, is NOT playing fair.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,667,234 times
El Paso, Texas, the nation's largest border city, has boasted unusually rapid growth in population, labor force and jobs since the 1970s — all hallmarks of progress in the growth-minded southwest. In the 1980s the city's economy created jobs 80 percent faster than did the U.S. economy. Yet El Paso Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), already one of the poorest among major cities, has gotten poorer relative to the rest of the country, with chronically higher unemployment and lower earnings. Poverty in the city is now more than twice the national average and average earnings a third below it.

This study looks for the reasons for the city's "growth without prosperity" in demographic factors, such as persistently high birth rates and rapid international migration, that shape the performance of the schools and the size and skills of the labor force and, in turn, the prevalence of low-wage labor-intensive industries.

Manufacturing employment in El Paso rose steadily in the 1970s and l980s while it was stagnating in the nation as a whole. Investment in industries that are declining nationally, such as apparel, leather, food processing, primary metals and miscellaneous manufactures, has flourished in El Paso's low-wage, non-union environment. The city's wholesale, retail and services sectors have also seen rapid job growth, much of it in low-wage, low skilled occupations, in part spurred by Mexican consumer demand.

A key factor in the city's surpluses of low skills and low worker expectations has been the explosive growth of the labor force — a 3.4 percent annual growth between 1974 and 1990. Twice the national rate, this growth arose from conditions similar to those operating in Mexico at the same time: rapid population growth, swollen cohorts reaching working age, and higher participation rates among Hispanic women.

The rising entries of legal and illegal immigrant workers and commuter workers from Mexico add to labor force growth and further dilute skills levels, and keep fertility high. Some 43 percent of El Paso County's population growth between 1970 and 1990 stemmed from international migration, contributing at least an additional 50,000 workers to the labor force. Commuter workers added another 20,000 to 25,000.

The city's economic development finds itself on a disheartening treadmill: abundant low-wage labor with low expectations attracts or encourages low-wage, low-productivity investment. The perpetuation of low earnings deprives the community of the tax base needed for the quality education, training and facilities that would attract higher value-added jobs. Public budgets are consumed in paying for the rising basic schooling and services costs that accompany rapid population growth, leaving less for investment in greater competitiveness. El Paso's labor force is likely to continue growing faster than the national rate through immigration and higher fertility. The abundance of labor, while attractive to some employers, will keep workers from commanding better wages and training.

Center for Immigration Studies

Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,174,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
For me this is exactly what it's about, since 'blue-collar American worker' is what I am. I, along with millions of others, were raised believing that it didn't take a college degree to get a piece of the American dream, all it took was a willingness to learn a trade, work hard and play fair. What's killed it for me is the millions of people who have come here without permission and flooded ALL the trades, causing my earnings to plummet to the point that my children suffer for it.

That, my friend, is NOT playing fair.
Of course its not playing fair, for some people Capitalism is not fair. My father has been in construction for about 20 years as well and I don't think illegal immigration has affected his current job. Since I can remember he's been going to work every day, unless of course its the rainy season like it is now.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Of course its not playing fair, for some people Capitalism is not fair. My father has been in construction for about 20 years as well and I don't think illegal immigration has affected his current job. Since I can remember he's been going to work every day, unless of course its the rainy season like it is now.
And once again I will surmise that your father is in a UNION...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration