U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM

206 posts, read 365,752 times

Advertisements

Those of you who do not want to see an increase our population of low-skilled foreign workers may want to contact your representatives about HR 1843. It was introduced by Sen Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) to increase the number of visas for non-skilled workers beyond the current limits.

If you realize that we already have plenty of unskilled workers as a result of illegal immigration, and understand the implication of importing foreign workers at a time of recession and increasing unemployment, then you should consider expressing your feelings to your rep. before it's too late.

BTW, I got this information from capsweb.org. And, you can look up the email address and phone number for your House and Senate representatives on their site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
Those of you who do not want to see an increase our population of low-skilled foreign workers may want to contact your representatives about HR 1843. It was introduced by Sen Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) to increase the number of visas for non-skilled workers beyond the current limits.

If you realize that we already have plenty of unskilled workers as a result of illegal immigration, and understand the implication of importing foreign workers at a time of recession and increasing unemployment, then you should consider expressing your feelings to your rep. before it's too late.

BTW, I got this information from capsweb.org. And, you can look up the email address and phone number for your House and Senate representatives on their site.
Mikulski of MARYLAND (sanctuary state.) All ya'll need to know.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Do we want them to come in legally or not?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Do we want them to come in legally or not?
We don't NEED any more!! I'm sick and tired of having my wages drop because of the massive numbers of low-skilled workers coming to this country, legal or not! I didn't get to go to college 30 years ago so I learned a trade. In fact I learned SEVERAL, roofing, carpentry, drywall and landscaping. That's what people did back 'in the old days'.

Guess what?!? It doesn't matter what I do, I'm in competition with immigrants, both legal and illegal, and my wages have been CUT IN HALF!!! But you don't give a rat's ass about me or MY family, all you care about is your precious compadres from SOB.

Moderator cut: try and keep it less personal Until it adversely affects YOU PERSONALLY, you'll continue to advocate for them instead of for Americans.

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-21-2008 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Keep it less personal

Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
We don't NEED any more!! I'm sick and tired of having my wages drop because of the massive numbers of low-skilled workers coming to this country, legal or not! I didn't get to go to college 30 years ago so I learned a trade. In fact I learned SEVERAL, roofing, carpentry, drywall and landscaping. That's what people did back 'in the old days'.

Guess what?!? It doesn't matter what I do, I'm in competition with immigrants, both legal and illegal, and my wages have been CUT IN HALF!!! But you don't give a rat's ass about me or MY family, all you care about is your precious compadres from SOB.

Moderator cut: Orpaned Until it adversely affects YOU PERSONALLY, you'll continue to advocate for them instead of for Americans.
Are you in landscaping? My father has been in construction about 20 years and has never had his wage home down.

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-21-2008 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
He's working a union job then, because EVERYWHERE else wages are down 40-50% from 1990.
Hanging drywall today in Arizona pays the same money that it did in 1979, 5 1/2 cents per square foot. Same thing in Georgia, 5 1/2 cents a square foot. Non-union carpenters are making $12-16 an hour, unless you're lucky enough to hook up with a custom builder. I closed my Georgia landscaping business last year because I couldn't compete with competitors who violated the law by hiring illegal labor, unless of course I joined them.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Moderator cut: Orphaned Until it adversely affects YOU PERSONALLY, you'll continue to advocate for them instead of for Americans.
Since when was competition such a bad thing?

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-21-2008 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Competition is never bad when the playing field is level. But you're talking about bringing in workers who are not on the same playing field as the American worker.

Foreign skilled and unskilled laborers do not have mortgages and many of the other things that Americans have. They can live three, four, or more to an apartment and that is just fine to them.

So it's basically anything goes to get cheap, right? No thought about what the corporation or company does for the community?

The love of money is indeed to the root of all evil.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Since when was competition such a bad thing?
Using illegals to undercut Americans/green card holders is a very bad thing-------at best.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Competition is never bad when the playing field is level. But you're talking about bringing in workers who are not on the same playing field as the American worker.

Foreign skilled and unskilled laborers do not have mortgages and many of the other things that Americans have. They can live three, four, or more to an apartment and that is just fine to them.

So it's basically anything goes to get cheap, right? No thought about what the corporation or company does for the community?

The love of money is indeed to the root of all evil.
So how do we allow people to come in? Because according to your reasoning, nobody should be allowed to come work because they will never have what you consider "a level playing field".

Btw, these companies and corporations provide jobs etc for the community. Some of us act like we don't benefit from companies and corporations.

Last edited by blacknight04; 02-21-2008 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration