U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,319,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Did you just watch a snippet of the video? I watched the entirety of both days of Trump's Austin rally as well as his Iowa rally and Anderson Cooper interview the same week. On both days Sean Hannity repeatedly asked him about people who'd been here 20 years with families and Trump repeatedly answered "We have to follow the law." The law doesn't say if you're here X amount of years or crap out kids on our soil you get to stay! The law is deportation, period.

On the second day after being harangued with this question over and over again he polled the audience. In fact he said he liked the guy he stood up and yelled that he would NOT like people here a long time with families to say. I thought the audience poll was pointless and I didn't like the confusion that this town hall seemingly caused over his immigration stance. "Softening" still doesn't mean amnesty or a path to citizenship; rather, it is how they will be treated during the removal process. If he didn't use such terms people would still be accusing him of wanting to ship illegals in cattle carts and other silly Nazi-esque comparisons.

Your hope (?) that Trump walks back his immigration plan based on this one ambiguous instance reminds me of a scene from Dumber and Dumber. When Jim Carey's character finally confronts his crush, played by Lauren Holly, he asks her what his chances are. She says 'one in a million.' His face lights up and he exclaims, "So you're telling me there's a chance!"
LOL look, we both legitimately heard something different, because Donald Trump said two different things. You could argue that his position hasn't changed and I could argue that it has and we'd both be right because the simple fact is that's just how unclear and ill-prepared Trump is. This was only an "ambiguous instance" because Trump made it that way. I don't "hope" that Trump walks back his immigration plan, I'm just pointing out that HE DID, for however short a time it was. I know what I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM

31,543 posts, read 14,591,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
LOL look, we both legitimately heard something different, because Donald Trump said two different things. You could argue that his position hasn't changed and I could argue that it has and we'd both be right because the simple fact is that's just how unclear and ill-prepared Trump is. This was only an "ambiguous instance" because Trump made it that way. I don't "hope" that Trump walks back his immigration plan, I'm just pointing out that HE DID, for however short a time it was. I know what I heard.

He's speaking in Arizona tomorrow about his illegal immigration stance. Hopefully he will clear up any discrepancies and be absolutely clear on his intentions.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:59 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,610,167 times
Kaphawoman, you are deluding yourself. He said in his own words that he intends to continue the policies of Presidents Obama and Bush. I heard him. I saw him.

The border fence itself has been up before congress for years. They just keep shooting it down. I doubt if Mr. Trump could get our recalcitrant congress to do anything either.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 PM

31,543 posts, read 14,591,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Kaphawoman, you are deluding yourself. He said in his own words that he intends to continue the policies of Presidents Obama and Bush. I heard him. I saw him.

The border fence itself has been up before congress for years. They just keep shooting it down. I doubt if Mr. Trump could get our recalcitrant congress to do anything either.

He meant the deportations.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 1,944,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

I have to echo Old Glory--he meant Obama and Bush deporting people; he was not referring to sanctuary cities, amnesty, work permits, in-state tuition, or other perks that keep them here. After all, the pro-illegal activists refer to Obama as The Deporter in Chief. Trump was trying to make the case that we have deported 'the good ones' all along under presidents of both parties so this is nothing shocking and new.

Funny how people are quick to say that Trump is just pulling his supporters' legs, that he can't be trusted to enforce immigration law, but they never consider the reverse. He hasn't changed the immigration statement on his website, and his running mate continues to say nothing's changed. Anyway, it is not those who think Trump will enforce immigration who are being bamboozled--it is those who think he won't!

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...gration-reform

Old 08-31-2016, 01:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 472,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He's speaking in Arizona tomorrow about his illegal immigration stance. Hopefully he will clear up any discrepancies and be absolutely clear on his intentions.
looking forward to it.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes. But there's a problem when Trump or any other candidate is still working out where they stand on these issues 70 days before election day. There should be no ambiguity.

Most people who even consider running for president have spent a lifetime contemplating the issues, weighing the facts and options, and deciding which position their conscience, morals, and principles tells them to take, and spend a career dedicated to bringing that position in to fruition.

I don't get that impression from Mr. Trump. I think he's making it up on the fly, and whether he's actually genuine or just trying to tell people what he thinks they want to hear is anyone's guess.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 PM

Trump delivered a stellar speech on his immigration policy. I really liked it. Though, I can't promise I'll like it next week when he changes it again.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-31-2016 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 12:58 AM

4,529 posts, read 1,944,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Trump delivered a stellar speech on his immigration policy. I really liked it. Though, I can't promise I'll like it next week when he changes it again.
Oh boy he better not. He came out tonight with guns blazing.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,079,037 times
Per his speech, Trump WILL enforce the laws on the books and untie the hands of the people being paid to enforce that law also aiding local law enforcement. It will be a continuing process for some time, but effective. I was glad to see this resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or