U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 PM

11,487 posts, read 5,507,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Yes Trump appears to be softening.

I do think that the logistics and costs of deporting the 11 million illegals currently here makes the plan impossible.

But, he still intends to Build the Wall to stop the flood of more coming which will help the economy and the strain on our resources.

I have no problem with hard working illegals who will start paying taxes to stay; as long as they are not criminals.

However, they are called "illegal aliens" because they broke our immigration laws to come here. Once here, they have to break other laws to survive. It's against the law for them to work in this country so in order to do so, they have to do one of the following; 1) Commit ID theft (So many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft by illegals that the Puerto Rican government took the unprecedented step of declaring all PR-issued birth certificates null and void. So, if native-born PRs need a copy of their birth certificates now, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a certified/secure copy. My dad was born there and still has his original birth certificate, and right now, it is worthless to him.); 2) Use a fake SSN. Despicably, there is a loophole in the law that says it's not illegal if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. Even worse, if someone is using your SSN right now, the SSA won't tell you. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return for a job you never worked. It's disgusting that politicians on both sides of the aisle refuse to close this loophole; 3) They get paid under the table, thereby engaging in tax evasion.

So, the term "law-abiding illegal alien" is an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:

I do think that the logistics and costs of deporting the 11 million illegals currently here makes the plan impossible.

But, he still intends to Build the Wall to stop the flood of more coming which will help the economy and the strain on our resources.

I have no problem with hard working illegals who will start paying taxes to stay; as long as they are not criminals.
Cost of illegal aliens: $113 billion per year.

I have a problem with them staying. Big problem. And, they are criminals if they came into the country without authorization. Non-violent? We have over 1 million non-violent criminals in our prison system, so do we release them also or do we penalize them for being a non-violent citizen criminal? Why reward one group while another group is punished? I actually know the answer, the prison industry contributed heavily to Clinton's campaign, most are now private, for-profit facilities and making illegals legal will get votes for the Democratic Party - free stuff.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM

252 posts, read 860,016 times
Cant say this enough, E-VERIFY, it would solve most of the problem. But Trump isnt talking about it, and neither are Dems, they all love illegal immigrants.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM

31,480 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:

Most of them have committed a criminal act such as working with a fake or stolen SS number or for cash evading taxes. Those are crimes and in fact they are felonies. Americans need their jobs back and they are hard working also. How does allowing illegal aliens to remain here solve that problem?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 PM

1,043 posts, read 673,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most of them have committed a criminal act such as working with a fake or stolen SS number or for cash evading taxes. Those are crimes and in fact they are felonies. Americans need their jobs back and they are hard working also. How does allowing illegal aliens to remain here solve that problem?

It doesn't solve the problem at all.

The problem with massive deportation is the costs and moral effects on our society.

No one wants to see video or pictures of families torn apart and being taken off in handcuffs.

We have to accept that a wall being built will stop the problem from here on out. They should have done it a long time ago but missed the chance.

Compromise is important here especially if you want Trump to be POTUS.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
However, they are called "illegal aliens" because they broke our immigration laws to come here. Once here, they have to break other laws to survive. It's against the law for them to work in this country so in order to do so, they have to do one of the following; 1) Commit ID theft (So many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft by illegals that the Puerto Rican government took the unprecedented step of declaring all PR-issued birth certificates null and void. So, if native-born PRs need a copy of their birth certificates now, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a certified/secure copy. My dad was born there and still has his original birth certificate, and right now, it is worthless to him.); 2) Use a fake SSN. Despicably, there is a loophole in the law that says it's not illegal if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. Even worse, if someone is using your SSN right now, the SSA won't tell you. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return for a job you never worked. It's disgusting that politicians on both sides of the aisle refuse to close this loophole; 3) They get paid under the table, thereby engaging in tax evasion.

So, the term "law-abiding illegal alien" is an oxymoron.

I understand the argument clearly.

At this point though we have the option between Hillary's open borders OR Trumps closed border and possible amnesty.

I think we should pick the latter.

He will not win without some compromise.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Cant say this enough, E-VERIFY, it would solve most of the problem. But Trump isnt talking about it, and neither are Dems, they all love illegal immigrants.
This would also be another great option other than massive deportation.

Build the wall and institute mandatory E-Verify. I will vote for that.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM

41,854 posts, read 31,715,364 times
Trump again iterated that Obama has deported more illegal aliens and he intends to do the same as Obama and Bush. This was on O' Reilly last night.

Sounds like a huge flip- flop to me.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-23-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump again iterated that Obama has deported more illegal aliens and he intends to do the same as Obama and Bush. This was on O' Reilly last night.

Sounds like a huge flip- flop to me.
What did he flip flop on again?

Because I know his campaign manager has said massive deportation is still up in the air. So that was one possible flip. Did they flip back again and say the mass deportations are on again?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 PM

11,487 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
I understand the argument clearly.

At this point though we have the option between Hillary's open borders OR Trumps closed border and possible amnesty.

I think we should pick the latter.

He will not win without some compromise.
The big problem with amnesty is this --- when the 1986 amnesty was done, democrats promised that illegals will never be able to take jobs, the border would be secured and this would be a one time amnesty. They reneged on all those promises. We currently have 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force, the border is still unsecured and there have been several stealth amnesties.

If a huge amnesty was done yet again, it will only have the issue of even more illegals either sneaking across the border or overstaying visas just waiting for the next amnesty to roll around.

Finally building the 700 mile wall will help tremendously. However, a workable program must be implemented to track visa overstayers.

The problem of illegal immigration can be taken care of by first making E-verify the law of the land. Once that is done, run everybody in the work force through it to weed out those 8 million no-matches. Arrest those who engaged in ID theft. Also, make it illegal for someone to use another person's SSN. Fine any company---no matter how small or large---very heavily if they hire illegals. Do something to put an end to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco once and for all.

If illegals can't find work or collect any welfare benefits (and they do collect them once they birth an anchor baby) then they will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work or collect welfare or unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or