Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:56 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times

Advertisements

In my twenties, I wanted to buy a home. I had a full-time job plus painted names on commercial fishing boats. I also worked as a dishwasher/kitchen prep person. I had a college degree. I just didn't want to wait years to buy. No illegals, just college students and high schoolers plus a retired widow trying to make ends meet as cooks, waitstaff and janitorial. This was in the late 1970s but it does illustrate that Americans can and will do this jobs. Because we were allowed to eat a meal there from the salad bar, we saved on groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
it is a lie that we NEED (or needed) them for those jobs. An accurate statement is that in the past they would do those jobs for less pay. THAT is why they were given the jobs initially.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 PM

24,483 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have never been for rounding them all up and mass deportations so if Trump has back peddled on that then I am ok with it. However, any more concessions for illegal aliens such as amnesty for any of them and he's lost my vote. I am waiting to see what he has to say at the debates.

Amnesty is such a ridiculous concept that is going to bury so many of the lower class folks who are hanging on to the few jobs that are out there for them. There is no doubt in my mind that with amnesty comes "them paying their fair share of taxes" BUT we all know that some liberal social justice warrior will suggest that the amnesty bunch is suffering "taxation without representation" They get a vote and that means the end of the Republican party.

If Hillary gets in this country and many things we hold dear are done. The real fear is Hillary will appoint at least 1 possibly 2 very liberal supreme court justices which means good bye second amendment and hello to millions of unvetted illegals and refugees.

Trump needs every vote he can get. Not voting for him is like giving Hillary half a vote. He is not the best candidate but we at least have a chance with him.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
In my twenties, I wanted to buy a home. I had a full-time job plus painted names on commercial fishing boats. I also worked as a dishwasher/kitchen prep person. I had a college degree. I just didn't want to wait years to buy. No illegals, just college students and high schoolers plus a retired widow trying to make ends meet as cooks, waitstaff and janitorial. This was in the late 1970s but it does illustrate that Americans can and will do this jobs. Because we were allowed to eat a meal there from the salad bar, we saved on groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
it is a lie that we NEED (or needed) them for those jobs. An accurate statement is that in the past they would do those jobs for less pay. THAT is why they were given the jobs initially.
Agreed.

Illegal aliens and those who WILLINGLY hire them over US citizens or even legal aliens NEED to be punished. Hard.

Just like Mexico or Poland are well WITHIN their rights to allow or hire who they want, or NOT put up with lawbreakers.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
It needs saying this is indicative of old fashioned American greed once again over-riding respect for that constitution thingy to the tune of millions of examples.

In that respect one could surmise the U.S. is getting what it ultimately deserves.

A great shame it's been 'encouraged' to go on for decades.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Amnesty is such a ridiculous concept that is going to bury so many of the lower class folks who are hanging on to the few jobs that are out there for them. There is no doubt in my mind that with amnesty comes "them paying their fair share of taxes" BUT we all know that some liberal social justice warrior will suggest that the amnesty bunch is suffering "taxation without representation" They get a vote and that means the end of the Republican party.

If Hillary gets in this country and many things we hold dear are done. The real fear is Hillary will appoint at least 1 possibly 2 very liberal supreme court justices which means good bye second amendment and hello to millions of unvetted illegals and refugees.

Trump needs every vote he can get. Not voting for him is like giving Hillary half a vote. He is not the best candidate but we at least have a chance with him.
You're royally screwed with either one of them getting the nod.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It needs saying this is indicative of old fashioned American greed once again over-riding respect for that constitution thingy to the tune of millions of examples.

In that respect one could surmise the U.S. is getting what it ultimately deserves.

A great shame it's been 'encouraged' to go on for decades.

Law abiding Americans certainly don't deserve this.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:28 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
biggest lie that's ever been told.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:23 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Utter nonsense!
Pure, utter nonsense!

Quote:
I disagree with your stereotyping of our American youth. Sure there are some lazy kids out there but most families I know encourage and even insist that their kids become productive members of our society. It all depends on your upbringing. Also, since illegals have taken so many of those entry level jobs it has depleted our American youth's opportunities to work. Other than that you are correct with your other comments.
I have lived in 3 states with a lower cost of living. Many high school students work in order to have the things they need and even to help out there families. These jobs are now being taken by illegals. Same with the college students in town, those jobs they would do to help pay their way in college are non-existent.

Quote:
Maybe that is why Trump is softening his stance on illegals?

There is no way we can get them all out of here but a good start would be to detain and deport the ones that get caught when they break the law.

Today we have them driving drunk and crashing into citizens wrecking their cars and lives. They get arrested then released where they fail to show up for their court date. If anyone of us did that we would be in so much trouble and besides most of us have much to lose for violating the law.

If you are illegal and Break the law you are gone for good. That would be a good start.
I don't think many realize just how many laws they break once in the country. It will be an excellent start in deporting some and encouraging others to move along back home.

Quote:
Also, one in eight white collar jobs go to illegal aliens now. Jobs traditionally done, especially in the inner cities, by blacks are now given to illegal aliens. Illegal aliens have anchor babies for cash and since we support their children, they can afford to work for less. Section 8 government housing is full of illegals riding the coat tails of their anchor babies.

| National Review

Are There Really Jobs Americans Won

In low income areas, it is not unusual for people to hold more than one job to make ends meet at a time when it is hard to find just the one job.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 AM

18 posts, read 11,180 times
Quote:

I can't understand why ANY Republican would support amnesty. It's as if the GOP wants to self-destruct.

If Trump wins, I don't expect him to deport every single illegal at once. If he can deport the worst of the worst, that will be more than any other politician has done recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration