U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,125,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
All the parents have to do is have a US PO box so that every school day the kids can walk across the border from Mexico to attend school in the US then walk back home to Mexico at the end of the day....US citizens are paying for their schooling.
Sorry, but what a moron that DML is. From his terse intro and using words like "anger" and "disturbing" you'd think the video was going to be of puppies being beaten or narco beheadings.

As conservative and rabid as I am on the topic of illegal immigration I am not angered or disturbed by kids going to school; not even when crossing the border to do it.

I can't speak to AZ laws in education, but in CA a PO Box will not cut it in determining eligibility for enrolling in a school. You need an actual residential address. I've seen kids returning home to Tijuana from their schools in San Diego, Chula Vista, etc and I can't get too worked up over it.

In the grand scheme of things these kids are returning to Mexico everyday, unlike the millions of other school kids who are illegal, are a drop in the bucket. I'd rather focus on the big problems first and this is not a big problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 AM

31,753 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Sorry, but what a moron that DML is. From his terse intro and using words like "anger" and "disturbing" you'd think the video was going to be of puppies being beaten or narco beheadings.

As conservative and rabid as I am on the topic of illegal immigration I am not angered or disturbed by kids going to school; not even when crossing the border to do it.

I can't speak to AZ laws in education, but in CA a PO Box will not cut it in determining eligibility for enrolling in a school. You need an actual residential address. I've seen kids returning home to Tijuana from their schools in San Diego, Chula Vista, etc and I can't get too worked up over it.

In the grand scheme of things these kids are returning to Mexico everyday, unlike the millions of other school kids who are illegal, are a drop in the bucket. I'd rather focus on the big problems first and this is not a big problem.

Yes, it is a problem. Mexico should be educating their own children. Education isn't free and when these kids cross our border to go to our schools while their parents live in Mexico there are no tax revenues derived to pay for their education here.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM

229 posts, read 140,907 times
Actually a box at a fed ex or ups store is considered a legal free standing address..... that's how to get around it. Businesses use them all the time so people don't home to the business address to cause issues, such as home based business like ebay.

Easy fix. Add utility bills that show the actual service address as well as making address. And keep a running program up to date with all fed ex, ups and personal mail service addresses. If the home address pops up as a mailbox address... no go.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 506,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvS6C21Uj3U

All the parents have to do is have a US PO box so that every school day the kids can walk across the border from Mexico to attend school in the US then walk back home to Mexico at the end of the day....US citizens are paying for their schooling.

Actually there is usually a financial arrangement in place between the school district and Mexican federal or state government that provides a reimbursement for the cost of educating the non US citizen children. Another likely scenario is that the children are US citizens but they live across the border in Mexico with parents or family members that are not, in that case those children would have rights to the same education as any other American citizen.

I know that facts don't mean much to the xenophobes and nativists, but in the Arizona border area that I am familiar with, these arrangements have existed for decades and it works fine and the taxpayers are not harmed at all.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,312,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Actually there is usually a financial arrangement in place between the school district and Mexican federal or state government that provides a reimbursement for the cost of educating the non US citizen children. Another likely scenario is that the children are US citizens but they live across the border in Mexico with parents or family members that are not, in that case those children would have rights to the same education as any other American citizen.

I know that facts don't mean much to the xenophobes and nativists, but in the Arizona border area that I am familiar with, these arrangements have existed for decades and it works fine and the taxpayers are not harmed at all.
Please post up a link backing up that Mexico pays US schools to teach its kids. Too; even IF a kid's a US citizen, IF it lives OUTSIDE the US, it does NOT have the right to any US school for free. Period.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 AM

31,753 posts, read 14,639,851 times
What does xenophobia or nativistism have to do with this issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or