U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I don't think it is
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto is an Englishman, born and raised (his father was from Spain)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
They think they are above America period. They think they are entitled to what Americans have to pay for at no price, they think they deserve housing, cars, etc. They dont think the law applies to them. The dont think they should have to learn english, and that we should learn other languages to accomodate them. They are self centered and think they are above it all. Unfortunately for them, the rest of the world views these people as the leeching lowlives that they are.

Very true. They have a superiority complex -- all their blatantly racial "pride" and their belief that they aren't obligated to abide by the laws of the USA.

Yet -- most illegals don't really believe in any fair kind of immigration. They don't want Haitians to have equal opportunities with Mexicans to immigrate to the USA, they believe that Mexicans have unlimited rights and can break whatever law doesn't convenience them.

You don't see the Aztlaners protest a boatload of Haitians being rounded up and returned home.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Its not an act of disliking the person, its disliking their illegal status. Not necessarily the person.
I think the real disparity lies within this idea that Mexican immigrants ďstealĒ jobs from Blacks. Youíre right itís less about the person and more about their actions. The issue of Mexicans affect on the American economy is always a sensitive one. What I find particularly interesting recently people have been discussing Mexicans affect on African Americans rather than their affects on the job force as a whole. It seems that this specific concern has been brought up pretty frequently in the past couple of months, and I think it's a result of Mexican President Vincent Fox's controversial comment that; "Mexicans do the jobs that even blacks don't want". What really angers me here is that he says EVEN BLACKS as if African Americans are some low grade individuals that work low grade jobs it almost seems to me that he regards African Americans with disgust. However his attitude may be a result of stereotypes and historical opinions. It seems that a majority of people have the general impression that Blacks, as minorities, live in the projects, depend on welfare and food stamps to just get through the month and live from paycheck to paycheck. In the late 80's, during a peak of illegal Mexican immigration, people began to relate African Americans to Mexicans because the led similar lifestyles. Before the Mexicans arrived African Americans were the people known for being less educated thus they took on those physically straining and low paying jobs. On top of that African Americans also faced tons of discrimination simply because of historical connotations and because they looked different and acted different. When Mexicans started trickling into the U.S. the perception of them was very similar, they didn't speak English so obviously they couldn't apply for high paying jobs, and they started to fall into these industrial jobs, that although very necessary weren't very glamorous and much like Blacks their different appearance and customs led to negative perceptions and treatment of them from American born citizens. In a sense Mexicans and Blacks were becoming equivalent and with them both holding the same positions on the economic and social charts. So expectantly sine they were so closely associated they qualified for the same jobs, it's not surprising that Mexicans began working some of the jobs that Blacks were known to work, but I don't know if we can necessarily call it "stealing" it's more so supply and demand, employers need work and Mexicans were willing to give it to them at a cheaper price this same thing could have happened to Whites, Asians or any other race for that matter its because Blacks and Mexicans were so similar that it affected them more than others. But this treatment isnít a new thing itís almost a cyclical repetition of what happened between the Blacks and the Irish decades ago. When the Irish first arrived in America the perception of them was that they were some of the lowest types of human, they were considered disgusting. What's interesting is that the Irish were considered so horrible and they were being grouped with African Americans so obviously the Blacks were also being regarded with disgust. It seems that the African Americans will always hold a low position in society so no matter the race or homeland of the immigrant, if they offer low wage work they will always be at competition with the Blacks, and Mexicans are widely known to offer a lot to our work force more than any other immigrant group from any other country. But the truth of the matter is although the general perspective is the Mexicans are stealing jobs from Blacks, they're stealing these jobs that are high paying or desirable and if African Americans were working these jobs before and now the Mexicans are "taking them" its sort of a blessing in disguise because it can get Blacks out of this category and give the motivation to move up the economic ladder, reach for higher goals and prove these people wrong. Prove to them that they don't actually rely on these low wage jobs and that they have the potential to work high paying jobs because in reality not all Blacks are working in these positions, they hold political office, they're prominent lawyers and doctors they don't just work in factories and fields. The question becomes, how will they break the stereotype?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
The problem I think is looking down at any job as though we need some kind of subclass of people brought in to do particular jobs.

Home construction for example -- since when did that become lowly work that only Mexicans would possible want to do?

Not everyone has an over 100 IQ, not everyone is going to get a master's degree, and Americans should be given opportunity to work over foreigners that are brought in only to bring wages so far down, no one can live on them. No one group of Americans just because they are viewed as "lesser" should have to compete with the third world for their livelihoods.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem I think is looking down at any job as though we need some kind of subclass of people brought in to do particular jobs.

Home construction for example -- since when did that become lowly work that only Mexicans would possible want to do?

Not everyone has an over 100 IQ, not everyone is going to get a master's degree, and Americans should be given opportunity to work over foreigners that are brought in only to bring wages so far down, no one can live on them. No one group of Americans just because they are viewed as "lesser" should have to compete with the third world for their livelihoods.
This is a salient point that continues to be ignored -- along with the fact that "illegal aliens" are not "immigrants." No legal citizen of this country should be relegated to second-class status, and forced to fight for the crumbs, in competition with millions with no legal right to be here. It's disgraceful.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,845 times
illegals do take jobs from blacks for example had a friend who was trying to get this job at a call center for verizon it was her and a mexican lady the mexican lady got the job because she could speak spanish even though she was illegal and didn't have a valid i.d. the one thing she had was a ss card and they used that a lot of these jobs say that we need spanish speaking employes only that just means we need mexicans only in my book

Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM

384 posts, read 1,576,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't believe there has ever been a case in which it can be proven that a black person dislikes illegals. Most blacks welcome illegals, realizing the huge economic benefits they bring. There was ONE guy in a small town in Iowa, who CLAIMED to be black, and SWORE he disliked illegals...but when officials investigated, they found he was only a very dark white guy.
So I'd have to say no, there are NO black people who dislike illegals. You can look this up in any World Almanac.....
How about children that were beaten up, spat on, had their clothing taken off on the road by blacks.....all because they were from another country. How about blacks calling people from the caribbeans Monkeys, coconuts and telling them to go back on the banana boat because they were black kids from another country? I can tell you some racist crap that happened to blacks by Black Americans ALL because the other set of black kids were from another country.........made it even worse because their friends were white because the white kids were the ones that treated them like human beings.

I have experienced blacks telling people to "go back to where they came from", blacks talking about people from other countries, legal or illegal as if they were garbage.

Let's not deny it folks, I am black and I love my race, my culture, but I will be damned to sit here and act like we are a very tolerant set of people. We are prejudice against people from other countries and other races; heck we even have light skin dark skin prejudice amongst us. Now not all are the same, but we have our dirty skeletons and can be very intolerant just like any other race.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,620,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
How about children that were beaten up, spat on, had their clothing taken off on the road by blacks.....all because they were from another country. How about blacks calling people from the caribbeans Monkeys, coconuts and telling them to go back on the banana boat because they were black kids from another country? I can tell you some racist crap that happened to blacks by Black Americans ALL because the other set of black kids were from another country.........made it even worse because their friends were white because the white kids were the ones that treated them like human beings.

I have experienced blacks telling people to "go back to where they came from", blacks talking about people from other countries, legal or illegal as if they were garbage.

Let's not deny it folks, I am black and I love my race, my culture, but I will be damned to sit here and act like we are a very tolerant set of people. We are prejudice against people from other countries and other races; heck we even have light skin dark skin prejudice amongst us. Now not all are the same, but we have our dirty skeletons and can be very intolerant just like any other race.
Wow...where did you dig THAT post up.?...that was early-day sarcasm, and has to be several months old....I guess the "World Almanac" I was referring to must have been LAST year's....
PS I THOUGHT blacks were tolerant people....but some of them sure don't seem to tolerate sarcasm very well..(neither do some whites, some Hispanics, some Lutherans, some gays, etc...I annoy just about everybody)..

Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 PM

539 posts, read 1,613,315 times
Ilegals don't take jobs from blacks... they may get a lot of jobs that uneducated and/or underqualified blacks would usually get.
Constuction is one area in which a lot of immigrants seem to thrive. I had a small constuction company (as did/do some of my friends) and the LEGAL Hispanic/Latino workers seem to work a lot harder. We can't get enough workers willing to start out at $12.00 an hour and be on time, do the job as requested and want to pay their dues before moving up. (This is in the South so things might be different where I now live.)
Many Blacks feel that doing skilled labor is demeaning (maybe a remnant of slavery). The labor wasn't demeaning - the oppression of slavery was.
As far as being Black and against Illegal-Immigration; put me on the list of those Blacks.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,212,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Quote:
Ilegals don't take jobs from blacks
... they may get a lot of jobs that uneducated and/or underqualified blacks would usually get.
Constuction is one area in which a lot of immigrants seem to thrive. I had a small constuction company (as did/do some of my friends) and the LEGAL Hispanic/Latino workers seem to work a lot harder. We can't get enough workers willing to start out at $12.00 an hour and be on time, do the job as requested and want to pay their dues before moving up. (This is in the South so things might be different where I now live.)
Many Blacks feel that doing skilled labor is demeaning (maybe a remnant of slavery). The labor wasn't demeaning - the oppression of slavery was.
As far as being Black and against Illegal-Immigration; put me on the list of those Blacks.
Your either missing the point, or ignoring the laws of this country?
It doesn't matter if the job was shoveling gutters. Illegals are in this country illegally, which in turn means that they are not permitted to work in this country.
Anyone from a foriegn country that comes to the US to work must have a work permit. and to be legal about it....there's no exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or