U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 PM

729 posts, read 1,378,146 times

Advertisements

Blacks and Latinos have always had beef with one another. There are even some blacks who have issues with the legal Puerto Ricans living in the US and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
I don't think I ever saw this thread before. I am a Black American and I know many black people who wonder why undocumented immigrants are allowed to be here and push other people out. I always felt that black people should never have been in the position anyway to have to worry about undocumented people taking their work, resources or neighborhoods. However, unfortunately, black people are impoverished at higher levels and do compete with other poor people (undocumented immigrants and all other poor people). With that said, one has to acknowledge that undocumented immigrants do make the quality of life for black people decrease. Illegal immigration spreads and areas begin to feel the effects at different rates. There are many areas where black people are noticing the negative effects of undocumented immigration at a slow rate. That is a problem across the nation, not just amongst black people. The problem with that is that illegal immigration is a dormant issue and it creeps up on us while it is allowed to grow and develop as we were not paying attention. Secondly, there are areas in which the issue has boiled-over and the effects of undocumented immigration are very and highly visible, people are frustrated. Then, lastly, there are the areas in which undocumented immigrant populations haven't reached large enough levels for poor legal residents to feel and notice the effects. Basically, black people as a result of direct observation and recognition of what an influx of undocumented immigration is doing to them are becoming increasingly frustrated and bamboozled. In my city, people, including black people, have been wondering why a bunch of people from Mexico and Guatemala are allowed to come here, live and work, while our city does nothing. This has been going on since about 1995. We are lucky that our population of illegal immigrants isn't worse, but we are considered a sanctuary city. We are very lucky though. If it was worse, I think people would be a lot more pissed and less nice than they are here.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Blacks and Latinos have always had beef with one another. There are even some blacks who have issues with the legal Puerto Ricans living in the US and vice versa.
Where I am from, black people and Puerto Ricans are cool. We make fun of one another, but overall have a lot in common and date each other. Puerto Ricans usually have African in them, so we relate and bond as brothers and sisters.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I don't think I ever saw this thread before. I am a Black American and I know many black people who wonder why undocumented immigrants are allowed to be here and push other people out. I always felt that black people should never have been in the position anyway to have to worry about undocumented people taking their work, resources or neighborhoods. However, unfortunately, black people are impoverished at higher levels and do compete with other poor people (undocumented immigrants and all other poor people). With that said, one has to acknowledge that undocumented immigrants do make the quality of life for black people decrease. Illegal immigration spreads and areas begin to feel the effects at different rates. There are many areas where black people are noticing the negative effects of undocumented immigration at a slow rate. That is a problem across the nation, not just amongst black people. The problem with that is that illegal immigration is a dormant issue and it creeps up on us while it is allowed to grow and develop as we were not paying attention. Secondly, there are areas in which the issue has boiled-over and the effects of undocumented immigration are very and highly visible, people are frustrated. Then, lastly, there are the areas in which undocumented immigrant populations haven't reached large enough levels for poor legal residents to feel and notice the effects. Basically, black people as a result of direct observation and recognition of what an influx of undocumented immigration is doing to them are becoming increasingly frustrated and bamboozled. In my city, people, including black people, have been wondering why a bunch of people from Mexico and Guatemala are allowed to come here, live and work, while our city does nothing. This has been going on since about 1995. We are lucky that our population of illegal immigrants isn't worse, but we are considered a sanctuary city. We are very lucky though. If it was worse, I think people would be a lot more pissed and less nice than they are here.
I can understand how the most impoverished Americans(of all colors) have to compete with undocumented aliens for resources at the bottom...but impoverished Americans have a slight advatage for betterment. Poor Americans are afforded far more resources than the alien living without autorization.

Poor Americans can avail themselves of all kinds of schooling and job training and have advatages to advance out of poverty to self-suffciency. So the cry of "hes taking my piece of rotten bread' rings hollow.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I can understand how the most impoverished Americans(of all colors) have to compete with undocumented aliens for resources at the bottom...but impoverished Americans have a slight advatage for betterment. Poor Americans are afforded far more resources than the alien living without autorization.

Poor Americans can avail themselves of all kinds of schooling and job training and have advatages to advance out of poverty to self-suffciency. So the cry of "hes taking my piece of rotten bread' rings hollow.
Assuming the rotten bread you speak of are the manual labor jobs that Americans have always done but have been replaced by illegal labor are the life line for many Americans. I wouldn't call the wages that construction used to pay as being "rotten bread" or at the poverty level. Not every American is cut out for a white collar job and many Americans enjoy blue collar work. These are the kinds of jobs that used to be available to Americans but no more. Many of these jobs used to go to our youth while going to school and gaining training for something better. No, your arguments in defense of illegal labor is what rings hollow.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Assuming the rotten bread you speak of are the manual labor jobs that Americans have always done but have been replaced by illegal labor are the life line for many Americans. I wouldn't call the wages that construction used to pay as being "rotten bread" or at the poverty level. Not every American is cut out for a white collar job and many Americans enjoy blue collar work. These are the kinds of jobs that used to be available to Americans but no more. Many of these jobs used to go to our youth while going to school and gaining training for something better. No, your arguments in defense of illegal labor is what rings hollow.
I'm surprised that anyone living in our borders is ok with this "global free for all" that Pro-Immigrants want. It is really a race to the bottom as it sits now. Who will work for the least amount? If that is the strategy why aren't the Pro-Illegals vying to bring in poor immigrants from other Continents who would easily displace the mostly Hispanic illegals we have now? I smell an agenda, one that is leaning towards the people S of our current border.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm surprised that anyone living in our borders is ok with this "global free for all" that Pro-Immigrants want. It is really a race to the bottom as it sits now. Who will work for the least amount? If that is the strategy why aren't the Pro-Illegals vying to bring in poor immigrants from other Continents who would easily displace the mostly Hispanic illegals we have now? I smell an agenda, one that is leaning towards the people S of our current border.
Bingo on the agenda!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:

Quote:
the alien living without autorization.
.........hmmmm..So you made up your own PC name for aliens..huh?

Let's hear you say the proper name.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:

I wouldnít expect you to ever feel compassion for the plight of poor U.S. citizens, because clearly, your concern is reserved for illegal aliens. In case you donít know, illegals have access to the same services and benefits, including job training, as a U.S. citizen or legal resident. If they arenít legally eligible, they use fraud.

Quote:
"We do have undocumented workers," acknowledged Silvia Navas, supervisor for the CASA of the Maryland Employment Rights Project in Silver Spring. The center is part of a network of 125 facilities that helps day laborers find work across the country and offers English language and vocational training.
Day Labor Centers Stir Controversy Throughout Country - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum - FOXNews.com

Quote:
The problem is that Back on Track has apparently been used to train illegal immigrants for U.S. jobs they can never legally hold, along with erase their criminal records. The program came under fire when an illegal immigrant named Alexander Izaguirre was arrested on suspicion of robbery and assault in July 2008 while still participating in the program.

Harris has not officially said how many illegal immigrants participated in Back on Track. But when she found out about Izaguirre, she let everyone following the program rules graduate and have their criminal records cleared.
Examiner Editorial: Job training for illegal immigrant drug dealers | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/Examiner-Editorial-Job-training-for-illegal-immigrant-drug-dealers-48945536.html - broken link)

Quote:
The program, Back on Track, is a centerpiece of Harris' campaign for state attorney general. Until questioned by The Times about the Izaguirre case, Harris, a Democrat, had never publicly acknowledged that the program included illegal immigrants. In interviews last week, she and her office offered inconsistent explanations.
San Francisco D.A.'s program trained illegal immigrants for jobs they couldn't legally hold - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You might even say that employment is on the Auction block, going to the lowest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or