U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that it is pretty common in many countires. They tend to base their respect for a culture by what they see of the culture and if they approve of it in relation to theuir own beliefs. I saw that in blacks when the Vietnamese first came.I think it's the same as blacks judging all police officers by the few. Happens in everything.Afterall ;we now see middle class blacks fleeeing the same neighborhoods that whites fled; as thier interest change.
Hell: well over 100 years ago 'Free Persons of Color' fled their enclaves in the Northern States when the Irish arrived---------the latter had that bad of a reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

Anyway, I have had negative experiences with blacks as far as renters. My experience with hispanics has been much more positive. They pay on time and do not give excuses. They are not as prone to cause trouble as they fear deportation (my renters are illegal Mexicans) and basically hardworking, good people. They also will not run you thru the courts, where the city of Chicago defends them for free and the laws are written in their favor. It is interesting to note that my renters have requested that I not rent to blacks so long as they are living there. There seems to be great animosity towards blacks from hispanics, particularly Mexicans. Puerto Ricans seem to get along only a little better.
That really doesn't say much for the Mexicans -- they are good renters because they know the minute they goof up, you're going to call La Migra on them.

It seems that you prefer illegal foreign citizens over your fellow Americans. But where does our country end up if we just all despise our black brothers -- our fellow Americans and bring in illegals from other countries to take jobs and apartments from them?

I don't live in Indiana -- but the blacks here (which is the border) are the most middle class group of all and I've never worked with a lazy black. In fact it seems the blacks around here work extra hard maybe to overcome that negative stereotype or maybe it's because most of the blacks here are associated with a military background and that's why. The welfare offices here are filled with Mexicans.

From some of the horrendous housing rented to Mexicans here, it's easy to see that many slumlords like having desperate people to rent to -- because you can rent a total dump out -- the Mexicans won't complain and aren't too fussy. One guy here was found renting old run down travel trailers -- and instead of a sewer or septic system the waste water was just being dumped to the ground -- and children were found playing in the water so he was finally shut down.

And I've seen apartments were illegals are sleeping on the chairs and floors -- and not complaining and paying their rent on time, and I've seen horrid sheds behind a barn that illegals were renting -- and not complaining about because obviously they're not in a position to pay late no matter how bad things are. Black Americans should not have to live like that.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Okay, trying to get back to topic here:

Why do Mexicans have such a strong dislike toward blacks in Chicago? In Humboldt Park, my Mexican renters and neighbor abhor blacks, though I do have a Mexican neighbor (college educated who owns a condo) who lives with the mother of his child who is black, who seems fairly yuppified. She does not associate with the other blacks in the area.

My opinion is that Mexicans in Humboldt Park, many of which are working for minimum wage and may or may not have their papers are forced to live in poorer neighborhoods such as Humboldt Park. I live just north of grand avenue, which is the dividing line between blacks and hispanics. North of me there are few blacks and south of me there are few hispanics. Since the blacks the mexicans are around tend to be of a lower socio-economic background as a whole Mexicans in my opinion have a negative view of all blacks. These mexicans never have the opportunity to be around upwardly mobile or highly educated blacks and thus seem to hate blacks in general as they have had mostly negative experiences with the blacks who are their neighbors.

Other thoughts?
I think it's racism. I doubt they all had negative experiences with blacks but back in Mexico the servant class has the darkest skin and is very submissive to it's "superiors". Mexicans coming here see darker skinned people and expect submissiveness and don't get it -- so they think black Americans are uppity.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM

To GuyPinestra:

You are correct; and there a few Black (Negro) Mexicans...........although, they would claim 'Hispanic' here in the USA.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM

217 posts, read 686,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And you are correct:

Hispanic culture is White Supremacist-------the standard of beauty in at least Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes.

If I were a Mestizo or worse, a full blood 'Latino' of Aztec, etc, blood-------I certainly would not be claiming anything Spanish as my ethnicity.
This is full out hilarious!
You cannot affix the word "Latino" to Aztec, Mayan, Inca, Toltec or others in any sense other than they speak Spanish of some form. These were all Indian tribes that were invaded by Spain and "cultured" by Roman Catholic missionaries that proliferated then. Tall and thin light skinned Mexicans or those from Central or South America are not as common as Telemundo or Univision may portray.
The only thing Latin about these people is language and some influx of European Spanish blood. I try to refer to any of them according to the country they come from while most will call them all Mexicans.
An Incan is far different in stature than the other tribes. They are short and compact due to the fact they are high altitude mountain dwellers. If one takes time to learn these things it becomes evident.

As far as any of them working here illegally - that is an employer's responsibility. How can citizens of the USA hope to win the battle of illegal immigration when the carrot is forever dangled? Those employers are perpetuating the influx. Why not go out and hire the homeless en masse?
Landlords cannot be blamed for renting to them when they are paying $2500 a month on a timely basis.
As far as the employment they "steal" - - from Americans - that is our own fault. I was a brick mason in my youth; there were several white as well as black masons in my field. The laborer position was most volatile though I had done that myself. As America became "educated" there were fewer black and white kids swinging hammers, carrying bricks or sweeping floors because we were all getting employment that is hopefully mental rather than physical. For some reason manual labor is looked down upon as a 3rd world means of earning a living. Wow! the 3rd world is moving in to do the manual labor.
Those are real jobs that pay money.
Meanwhile the majority seek "wealth" and place themselves above what they are truly capable of. A brick mason may earn $15hr for an honest day's work. That equals $600week before taxes. $2400 a month.
How many of us would do that kind of work for that pay?
How many of us have done that kind of work for that pay?
How many can? That is some serious hard work - been there, done that and didn't get a t-shirt.

Better yet - how many of us do nothing and have unreal salaries?
When I say nothing I seriously mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I have been on both sides of it and I know very well I was paid to sit around and drink coffee for hours on end when I went professional versus the break for a precious drink of water while in the blue collar world of construction.
I came to some understanding of why the economy is askew. I trained unskilled people to do jobs they shouldn't and the company paid them $$$$$. They belonged in a textile mill which, by the way, were all sold to off-shore interests and "stole" more jobs from US citizens in ways worse than illegals ever could. It was driven by a tilted economy and backed by the government.

The sad thing is most US citizens would think themselves above those jobs and leave them to illegals once again.

We really have to look deep into what we have become and what we will or will not do for employment before we point at those that will fill those positions. It's not pretty but is factual.
Think about what you do for a salary presently...are you worth that money?
Did you just lie to yourself?
The teller at the bank you go to might earn half of that.
How much do you pay someone that cleans your house?
How about the guy that mops the floors at the hospital you were in?
Your child's educator?

Loaded questions, maybe, but we Americans have it good and trod on those that want to be one of us - even if they did sneak in.
I do not condone illegal immigration but I understand their wants and needs; we all share those inside.
Sure illegal immigration is criminal - so is the war in Iraq.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
I find it fascinating that one can rent to a ‘few’ black people and conclude from these ‘few’ that MOST blacks are rent-dodgers. There are good and bad in EVERY race/ethnicity. I am so sick of hearing these stereotypical anecdotes.

I am truly thankful I do not base my opinion of individuals on the color of their skin. It must be a miserable existence.

Regarding skin color -- when we are cut, we ALL bleed 'red' blood -- when it’s all said and done, we ALL return to dust.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 PM

440 posts, read 236,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I find it fascinating that one can rent to a ‘few’ black people and conclude from these ‘few’ that MOST blacks are rent-dodgers. There are good and bad in EVERY race/ethnicity. I am so sick of hearing these stereotypical anecdotes.

I am truly thankful I do not base my opinion of individuals on the color of their skin. It must be a miserable existence.

Regarding skin color -- when we are cut, we ALL bleed 'red' blood -- when it’s all said and done, we ALL return to dust.
ITA. I am very offended as I am black and have worked since the age of 17, never been late or missed paying a bill. I have had perfect credit for more than 30 years. For more than 2 decades I have owned/sold several homes and have been blessed to not have to be one of those black rent dodgers.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
ITA. I am very offended as I am black and have worked since the age of 17, never been late or missed paying a bill. I have had perfect credit for more than 30 years. For more than 2 decades I have owned/sold several homes and have been blessed to not have to be one of those black rent dodgers.
And let the choir say AMEN!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
This is full out hilarious!
You cannot affix the word "Latino" to Aztec, Mayan, Inca, Toltec or others in any sense other than they speak Spanish of some form. These were all Indian tribes that were invaded by Spain and "cultured" by Roman Catholic missionaries that proliferated then. Tall and thin light skinned Mexicans or those from Central or South America are not as common as Telemundo or Univision may portray.
The only thing Latin about these people is language and some influx of European Spanish blood. I try to refer to any of them according to the country they come from while most will call them all Mexicans.
An Incan is far different in stature than the other tribes. They are short and compact due to the fact they are high altitude mountain dwellers. If one takes time to learn these things it becomes evident.

As far as any of them working here illegally - that is an employer's responsibility. How can citizens of the USA hope to win the battle of illegal immigration when the carrot is forever dangled? Those employers are perpetuating the influx. Why not go out and hire the homeless en masse?
Landlords cannot be blamed for renting to them when they are paying $2500 a month on a timely basis.
As far as the employment they "steal" - - from Americans - that is our own fault. I was a brick mason in my youth; there were several white as well as black masons in my field. The laborer position was most volatile though I had done that myself. As America became "educated" there were fewer black and white kids swinging hammers, carrying bricks or sweeping floors because we were all getting employment that is hopefully mental rather than physical. For some reason manual labor is looked down upon as a 3rd world means of earning a living. Wow! the 3rd world is moving in to do the manual labor.
Those are real jobs that pay money.
Meanwhile the majority seek "wealth" and place themselves above what they are truly capable of. A brick mason may earn $15hr for an honest day's work. That equals $600week before taxes. $2400 a month.
How many of us would do that kind of work for that pay?
How many of us have done that kind of work for that pay?
How many can? That is some serious hard work - been there, done that and didn't get a t-shirt.

Better yet - how many of us do nothing and have unreal salaries?
When I say nothing I seriously mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I have been on both sides of it and I know very well I was paid to sit around and drink coffee for hours on end when I went professional versus the break for a precious drink of water while in the blue collar world of construction.
I came to some understanding of why the economy is askew. I trained unskilled people to do jobs they shouldn't and the company paid them $$$$$. They belonged in a textile mill which, by the way, were all sold to off-shore interests and "stole" more jobs from US citizens in ways worse than illegals ever could. It was driven by a tilted economy and backed by the government.

The sad thing is most US citizens would think themselves above those jobs and leave them to illegals once again.

We really have to look deep into what we have become and what we will or will not do for employment before we point at those that will fill those positions. It's not pretty but is factual.
Think about what you do for a salary presently...are you worth that money?
Did you just lie to yourself?
The teller at the bank you go to might earn half of that.
How much do you pay someone that cleans your house?
How about the guy that mops the floors at the hospital you were in?
Your child's educator?

Loaded questions, maybe, but we Americans have it good and trod on those that want to be one of us - even if they did sneak in.
I do not condone illegal immigration but I understand their wants and needs; we all share those inside.
Sure illegal immigration is criminal - so is the war in Iraq.
Please explain why our 'brown ones' consider themselves 'Hispanic' vs. members of the Indian tribes that you listed.

Some years I dated a Latina who was obviously Mestizo------she was extremely prejudiced against Native American Indians yet did not consider herself White.

Yet this women had an obviously 'White' grandson-------and, we very proud of his fair complexion.

Sounds like White Supremacy here in her dear to her heart 'Hispanic' culture.

As for the rest of your post, no real argument there. BTW: I work with my hands as well.

Iraq was a colossal screw-up at best by the Bush administration.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM

440 posts, read 236,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And let the choir say AMEN!
Thank you Benicar. I'm always amazed at how some people's brain totally disengages the minute they open their mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration