U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have my opinions, what are yours?

In my short experience. I am the son of a cattle farmer from Indiana who has been in Chicago 6 years (4 in the suburbs and 2 in the city) and race was never an issue as it was a homogeneous population. Now, my parents are starting to see a flight influx of hispanics doing manual labor jobs, but generally it is still an all-white, mostly protestant area.

In Humboldt Park, where I live, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans cannot stand black people. I was raised not to be racist and have had nothing but pleasant experiences with black people with the exception of one guy in Palatine (I am suing him). My handyman is black and lives in Bronzeville and has advised me not to rent to other blacks on the west side of Chicago. I always thought this was a bit odd.

When I purchased my building 2 years ago, I inherited 3 black tenants and we got along great for 18 months until they started getting behind and finally stopped paying altogether, which led me to spend thousands getting them evicted and forcefully removed by the sherriff. Just so you know, you can kick people out so long as the temps are above 15 degrees, but you cannot kick anyone out the 2 weeks before Christmas.

I am also suing 1 of the tenants. One sold illegal DVDs and had everything in cash plus he had 9 babies by 5 women that he knew about. The other was a lady who worked at a school cafeteria and was busted for stealing a computer, which was caught on video, so nothing to go after there. The last one I am suing and garnishing wages though this may also be a waste of time, but we will see.

Anyway, I have had negative experiences with blacks as far as renters. My experience with hispanics has been much more positive. They pay on time and do not give excuses. They are not as prone to cause trouble as they fear deportation (my renters are illegal Mexicans) and basically hardworking, good people. They also will not run you thru the courts, where the city of Chicago defends them for free and the laws are written in their favor. It is interesting to note that my renters have requested that I not rent to blacks so long as they are living there. There seems to be great animosity towards blacks from hispanics, particularly Mexicans. Puerto Ricans seem to get along only a little better.
You need to get to know a better class of Black people (which is the majority, BTW).

It's kinda like discovering that White people aren't really low rent, toothless, illiterate, klan lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post

It's kinda like discovering that White people aren't really low rent, toothless, illiterate, klan lovers.
I BEG YOUR PARDON.....there are PLENTY of us out here. We just don't get heard as much as the more 'uppity' whites do......

Old 03-06-2008, 12:50 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,513 times
In some of areas of Los Angeles heightened tension has increased between Latinos and African Americans. Alot of inner city Los Angeles has experienced black flight in the last 20 years, with a huge influx of Latino immigrants. The roughest neighborhood of Watts was 98% African American in 1960 and is currently 60% Latino and 40% black. But, most of the racial tensions is heightened by gangs, job competition, discrimination, crime, and my favorite the media.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I BEG YOUR PARDON.....there are PLENTY of us out here. We just don't get heard as much as the more 'uppity' whites do......
I feel your pain.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,343,035 times
This is too much..... I am black & my fiance is puertorican and we live in LA. Both of us grew up on the east coast wher blacks & puertoricans got along very , very well. Here in LA we've gotten some dirty looks from black women & menacing looks from mexican men which cracks me up sometimes & makes me a little nervous considering that mexican gangs openly call us ******s & have mandates to kill all blacks wether they're in gangs or not. I teach a youth group at the church I attend where the kids both black & mexican tell me the word on the streets and how about 10 mexican gangs have the green light from the mexican mafia to to shoot ANY blacks they see in certain areas not just bloods or crips but anyone! I'm not condoneing any type of gang violence at all but usally the black gangs target the rival gang members and NOT the civillians....I said usally sometimes they'll go that route and hurt innocents.

Humbolt there is good & bad in all races, as far as those of mexican decent goes, my fiance grew up in NYC but lived in Chicago for two years while attending college and since she was in a masters program and was in her late 20's she chose to live off campus. What she and her relatives & friends first encounterd mexican moving in in mass they felt like cool good hard working spanish speaking people until they started talking bad about blacks and how they would not let their kids date them & how in Texas, Cali, Az & those places that some of them previously lived that was the norm. Even their gang banging kids would tell the P.R. gang members in their high schools & neighborhoods that out west they they can be killed for even association with the mayates (black bugs or something) so even the bangers in Chi didn't take a liking to these mexicans who thought like that.

I'll continue on the next post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration