Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times

Advertisements

As most of us know: several states have passed strict laws against the illegal immigrants and their enablers--------Arizona and Oklahoma both come to mind.

Living here in Az; I have seen the results first hand-------and, it is a 'beautiful' thing.

Much less Mariachi music blaring from vehicles (loud noise from a car/truck is probable cause for a traffic stop------and, its probable repercussions), far fewer pickups with 'DURANGO' etc. signs in their back windows, and most importantly, those folks (most of whom happen to be Mestizo-Hispanic) are becoming quite thin on the ground.

Us citizens and; believe it or not, the green card holders are happy as pigs in slop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,824 times
Humboldt,

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that there are millions of Americans like me that have worked in trades all their lives and have watched their wages get cut in half by this influx of illegal labor. When a man is already working 12 hours a day to support his family how do you propose that he go get himself a college degree in order to compete in your 'global economy'?

Your disdain for the American worker is evident and obvious. Your words come off as haughty, arrogant and superior. Gawd, I hate people like you...

Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Arizona bear,

I respect your opinions as do I for the others on this board whether or not they are in agreement with me or not.

I wonder, based upon your posts if you are a minuteman or are acquainted with those who are. I actually support the minutemen who defend our porous border. I am not opposed to the wall to keep more illegals out though it does somewhat remind me of berlin.

I am all for better border enforcement so long as it doesn't enrich the pockets of the coyotes. The real solution, however lies with Mexico.

So long as Mexico remains corrupt with no middle class and no sharing of the wealth people will flock to the US for a better life. With better border enforcement it will just cost more and perhaps fewer will get thru but some still will.

In Mexico, Carlos Slim is the 3rd wealthiest guy in the world, soon to overtake gates and buffett. He is worth 50B and up until last year had only given 1.3B to charity. His fortune came thru telfonica and other ventures. Thru telefonica he has a monopoly and rakes it in by price gouging his own poor people. As long as the mexican govt allows such business practices and keeps the poor from ever achieving any affluece there will illegals coming to the US.

My guess in a year or two we will declare amnesty for those who are already here and have them pay a fine to become citizens, similar to what we did in 1987, though our politicians are hesitant to give voting power to so many working poor. It will solve nothing and in another 15-20 years we will be in the exact same position, though hopefully Mexico will have made some strides with its poor since then, though probably not based upon their track record.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Humboldt1:

I may have agreed two years ago concerning amnesty--------not this time.

Flying the Mexican flag was a borderline (at best) act of treason------and, it enraged many Americans of all races/ethnicities.

I have no sympathy for Mexico's problems; it is her responsibility to 'grow up'.

Using another Hispanic country as a proxy; Spain, once it got its internal house in order------than she was rewarded with the goodies. Read that membership in the EU, use of the Euro as well as open borders courtesy of the Schengen Agreement.

The ball is in Mexico's court.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times
There's several things going on here. First, a large number of Puerto Ricans are of African ancestry. That's not true of Mexico, which has few blacks.

Next, I went to Puerto Rico and looked at the magazine photos. There was not one black model in a place with a sizable number of blacks! Maybe the civil rights era in this country did raise some consciouness. They did not have a similar national introspection in PR.

In Mexico there seems to be a real color consciousness. It is an inslut to call someone an 'indio'. Further, they rate color from rubios all the way down to negros. Even US blacks have gotten away from color gradiations as a remnant of tribalism.

Finally, in Chicago many of the black people who come in contact with Hispanic folks are the descendants of southern blacks who had little contact with Hispanics. So there is great ignorance of other cultures on both sides.

In NYC, there is a divide among blacks and Puerto Ricans, but nothing like in Chicago.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Humboldt1:

Flying the Mexican flag was a borderline (at best) act of treason------and, it enraged many Americans of all races/ethnicities.

Give me a break! You've never seen an Italian flag at a construction site? That's not treason. No Way.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Give me a break! You've never seen an Italian flag at a construction site? That's not treason. No Way.
Remember the illegal immigrants' 'rights' protests May 2006-----most of whom happen to be Mexican nationals?

That is what I was referring to................

Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember the illegal immigrants' 'rights' protests May 2006-----most of whom happen to be Mexican nationals?

That is what I was referring to................
I got stuck right in the middle of that parade (and the folks were real nice about it, too). Before the parade started, the organizers told folks to not carry flags other than the stars and stripes.

So if you saw a Mexican flag, I can tell you that I didn't and that it was contrary to the organizers' instructions.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
There's several things going on here. First, a large number of Puerto Ricans are of African ancestry. That's not true of Mexico, which has few blacks.

Next, I went to Puerto Rico and looked at the magazine photos. There was not one black model in a place with a sizable number of blacks! Maybe the civil rights era in this country did raise some consciouness. They did not have a similar national introspection in PR.

In Mexico there seems to be a real color consciousness. It is an inslut to call someone an 'indio'. Further, they rate color from rubios all the way down to negros. Even US blacks have gotten away from color gradiations as a remnant of tribalism.

Finally, in Chicago many of the black people who come in contact with Hispanic folks are the descendants of southern blacks who had little contact with Hispanics. So there is great ignorance of other cultures on both sides.

In NYC, there is a divide among blacks and Puerto Ricans, but nothing like in Chicago.
And you are correct:

Hispanic culture is White Supremacist-------the standard of beauty in at least Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes.

If I were a Mestizo or worse, a full blood 'Latino' of Aztec, etc, blood-------I certainly would not be claiming anything Spanish as my ethnicity.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I got stuck right in the middle of that parade (and the folks were real nice about it, too). Before the parade started, the organizers told folks to not carry flags other than the stars and stripes.

So if you saw a Mexican flag, I can tell you that I didn't and that it was contrary to the organizers' instructions.
Flying the Mx flag was probably more prevalent here in the Southwest.

Note too there was more than one rally------subsequent demonstrations the participants were to to fly just Old Glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration