U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There has been a crackdown on illegal immigration but they haven't given us an avenue to get legal workers," said Cox, 49, driving by his irrigated fields on the outskirts of Mexicali, just a quick commute from his U.S. home.
Cox rented a small plot in Mexico in 1991 and now has 2,000 acres under lease. Other American farmers are moving into Mexico for the first time, planting lettuce as far south as Mexico's central heartland.
Two years ago, Cox had to leave around 750,000 pounds of tomatoes unpicked on his farm in Brawley, California, because he could not find enough workers at harvest time
U.S. farmers short on migrant workers move to Mexico - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
This has been going on for years. Many growers at LEAST as far north as the Salinas Valley have large operations in Mexico, occasionally using the different seasonal changes to 'smooth out' their planting and harvesting schedules, inventories, etc...American growers can also "get away" with looser laws in Mexico, in regards to pesticide use, employee 'rights' etc., although efforts are being made to close some of the 'loopholes'.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Works for me.

That gives Mexican nationals less incentive to come here illegally------and, keeps their employers legal as well.

Besides; with Mx's barely replacement level birthrate, that country will soon need every worker to build up that country

Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,733,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
U.S. farmers short on migrant workers move to Mexico - Yahoo! News (broken link)
It sounds like a win win to me, we outsource to a lot of countries now, why not Mexico?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
It sounds like a win win to me, we outsource to a lot of countries now, why not Mexico?
Technically Mexico is outsourcing their laborers. I know a man in my town sponsors a man from Mexico every winter to help him sell Christmas trees. Very nice people.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Technically Mexico is outsourcing their laborers. I know a man in my town sponsors a man from Mexico every winter to help him sell Christmas trees. Very nice people.
Prologic, I don't know if it luck or not, but I have not met one person from Mexico that were not nice, in fact we have some Mexican friends in Mexico.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Prologic, I don't know if it luck or not, but I have not met one person from Mexico that were not nice, in fact we have some Mexican friends in Mexico.

I know A LOT of Mexican people who are COMPLETE A-Holes. Probably because pretty much all of my family is Mexican. But then again, I know a lot of A-holes who aren't Mexican as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I know A LOT of Mexican people who are COMPLETE A-Holes. Probably because pretty much all of my family is Mexican. But then again, I know a lot of A-holes who aren't Mexican as well.
Well at least you balanced it out.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
makes sense to me. if he is looking for hard working people with good attitude,
i dont see lots of it here that is not already taken, even if and when there is good wages.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,182,276 times
Not a problem, we dont need them.

Stop welfare, stop any freebie programs and force our own people to get off their a--ses and do that work for us.

Have you ever saw a skiny welfare person?? NO.

Time to put the people to work so they can earn their living instead of sponging off the rest of us.

Load the lazy butts up and make them pick the fruits and veggies.

DEPORT THEM ALL, we dont need them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration