U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,175,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sorry, I don't buy it one bit.

Ken
So you won't even believe the words of the HEAD globalist?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM

18,964 posts, read 21,946,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
So you won't even believe the words of the HEAD globalist?!?!?
It isn't that I don't believe him, it's that I agree with him.

Ken

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It isn't that I don't believe him, it's that I agree with him.

Ken
You must have a BIG pile of Microsoft money....

Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
You said,
I say instead of no more war we'll see perennial war. Why, because it's profitable.
War is only profitable when YOUR factories are not the ones being bombed. When you own plants and faciities in both countries there is no profit to be gained by promoting war - you will after all simply be destroying your own assets.

Quote:
Your freedom is already being regulated and restricted. You think you will be able to live wherever you want, but the UN has different plans. Look at their Treaty on Biodiversity. You will live where you're TOLD to live, and nowhere else.
I don't believe that for one moment.

Quote:
A higher standard of living for 90% of the world mean a lower standard of living for America.
Probably true with or without gobalism. The fact is, in the aftermath of WW II the US was in a unique position among the worlds' major powers. We had profitted from the war without suffering any material damage to our infrastructure. Consequently as the world slowly climbed back to it's feet, it was American that was in position to provide goods for the world. American cars dominated the global market, American TV's and radios were world's best. We sold to EVERYONE, but little by little the rest of the world rebuilt - and when they did, they built to higher standards than we did, with freshly built state-of-the-art factories and eventually the rest of the world began to catch up (and even surpass) the US. For 50 years the US was the Walmart to the world - we made everything worth making and sold it to everyone all over the world - and in the process creating gobs of jobs and raising the US standard of living to unheard of heights. But now that one-sided party is over (Globalism or not) and indeed the US standard of living is likely to fall.

The fact remains however, that change often brings with it disruption and pain. Even leaving aside the fact that the US standard of living was artificially high due to the fact that for 50 years the US was the provider of goods to the entire world, the coming changes are bound to bring some pain along with them. This is true of ANY major change. The industrial Revoluton brought with it enormous pain and dislocation, with millions of highly skilled craftsmen perminantly losing their livelihood and instead having to resort to unhealthy, unsafe and unpleasant factory work. It was indeed UGLY - but the fact is, when all was said and done and the inhumane working conditions had been abolished, the general standard of living for EVERYONE was vastly improved. One need only look back at the average lifespan of an American in Colonial America (35-40) and compare it to today to see what the Industrial Revolution brought to us in the long run. Like any birth, such revolutions are not without a cost. Globalization will be no different.

Ken

Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
You must have a BIG pile of Microsoft money....
Not at all - though my sister admittedly does.
Her husband retired from Microsoft at age 40 or so and now has his own software startup.

I'm just a working stiff. I've a good job, but I'm far from rich.

I just happen to believe in the promise of Capitalism and Free Trade.

Ken

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
War is only profitable when YOUR factories are not the ones being bombed. When you own plants and faciities in both countries there is no profit to be gained by promoting war - you will after all simply be destroying your own assets.
The wars of today and tomorrow won't consist of bombing factories, I think the last factory bombed made aspirin. (Good job, Bill...) The wars of today and tomorrow will continue to be cash cows for Halliburton, Raytheon, General Electric and a HOST of others who KNOW where the bombs will fall, and probably have a large amount of control over their targets.
Quote:
I don't believe that for one moment.
Then you haven't looked at the treaty, nor at the Georgia Guidestones.
Quote:
Probably true with or without gobalism. The fact is, in the aftermath of WW II the US was in a unique position among the worlds' major powers. We had profitted from the war without suffering any material damage to our infrastructure. Consequently as the world slowly climbed back to it's feet, it was American that was in position to provide goods for the world. American cars dominated the global market, American TV's and radios were world's best. We sold to EVERYONE, but little by little the rest of the world rebuilt - and when they did, they built to higher standards than we did, with freshly built state-of-the-art factories and eventually the rest of the world began to catch up (and even surpass) the US. For 50 years the US was the Walmart to the world - we made everything worth making and sold it to everyone all over the world - and in the process creating gobs of jobs and raising the US standard of living to unheard of heights. But now that one-sided party is over (Globalism or not) and indeed the US standard of living is likely to fall.

The fact remains however, that change often brings with it disruption and pain. Even leaving aside the fact that the US standard of living was artificially high due to the fact that for 50 years the US was the provider of goods to the entire world, the coming changes are bound to bring some pain along with them. This is true of ANY major change. The industrial Revoluton brought with it enormous pain and dislocation, with millions of highly skilled craftsmen perminantly losing their livelihood and instead having to resort to unhealthy, unsafe and unpleasant factory work. It was indeed UGLY - but the fact is, when all was said and done and the inhumane working conditions had been abolished, the general standard of living for EVERYONE was vastly improved. One need only look back at the average lifespan of an American in Colonial America (35-40) and compare it to today to see what the Industrial Revolution brought to us in the long run. Like any birth, such revolutions are not without a cost. Globalization will be no different.
What's funny about that is that the corporations RUNNING the show THEN are the same ones that are running the show NOW. Labor arbitrage. The unpleasant working conditions have only been moved to new locations.
Quote:
Not at all - though my sister admittedly does.
Her husband retired from Microsoft at age 40 or so and now has his own software startup.

I'm just a working stiff. I've a good job, but I'm far from rich.

I just happen to believe in the promise of Capitalism and Free Trade.
Don't be surprised when your children pay the price for your folly.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 PM

307 posts, read 458,423 times
The study itself is flawed. It compares recidivism rates NOT crime rates.

If you compare White recidivism vs African American recidivism rates you will find similar results ( less then a 2% difference in recidivism rates).

2001 Recidivism Study www.state.ar.us/doc//pdf/reports/2001_adendum_recidivism.pdf (broken link)

Yet if I were to suggest that African Americans are no more likely to wind up in prison for criminal activity then White Americans I would be laughed at by any respected scientist.

The reality is that African Americans are 200% to 600% more likely to wind up in jail for criminal activity .

Thus just as Black and White RECIDIVISM rates are NO indication as to Black and White CRIME rates, Legal vs Illegal RECIDIVISM rates are NOT an indication of legal vs illegal CRIME rates.

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 02-25-2008 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The unpleasant working conditions have only been moved to new locations.
And those locations will improve their factory conditions just as we did. They are merely behind us on the curve.

Quote:
Don't be surprised when your children pay the price for your folly.
Actually both of our kids are married and out of the house.

One of them is living a life of poverty - but then again what can you expect when neither person in the marriage bothers to actually get a job? (sigh)

The other is highly educated, always been employed and already making more than I do (as is his wife). I've no worries about that one.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration