U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Illegal immigrants subject to deportation pose no greater risk to public safety than those who cannot be deported when they are released from jail, a study by RAND researchers has found.
The study, published in this month's edition of the journal Criminology and Public Policy, found age, criminal offenses and other traits are the primary factors in determining whether illegal immigrants re-offend, and not their legal status. "That is our finding in a nutshell," said Laura Hickman, an assistant professor with the Criminal Justice Policy Research Institute at Portland State University and a researcher at RAND, a nonprofit research organization based in Santa Monica. "We set out to test a real straightforward question. It was a question about whether deportable aliens are cycling through the local criminal justice system."
Crime study disputes immigration claims - The Daily Breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Their mere presence here is a crime when coupled with any other offence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,947 posts, read 21,939,969 times
Reputation: 6538
The results of the study doesn't surprise me one bit.

I particularly like the quote '"I think our bottom line is there is so much untested rhetoric out there," Hickman said. "I think people are just spouting off their mouths without any basis in data."'

I see that kind of stuff on this board ALL the time.

While I think that the border definitely needs to be controlled, I'm of the opinon that the VAST MAJORITY of illegal aliens want nothing more than to get a job and live a life like anyone else - and are not thieves, rapists, murderers, etc and that lots of folks (including anti-illegal immigrant organizations) are looking to pin whatever they can in regards to crime on this particular group in a calculated effort to misinform the American public and stir them up into an anti-illegal-immigrant furver. These groups have a very focused agenda and manipulate the data they forth to help that agenda (a classic case of "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics") - and before anyone here claims the RAND Corporation does the same, I say that's BS. The RAND Corporation is probably the single most respected "think tank" in the entire country.

That doesn't mean that I don't think that illegal immigration isn't a serious problem - I think it is, and immigration SHOULD be regulated and controlled. I just don't think that every illegal immigrant out their is a mugger or a rapist.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
I just don't think that every illegal immigrant out their is a mugger or a rapist.
I doubt seriously if anyone else does, either. To say that they do is quite a stretch, regardless of what you may see posted on this forum.

With that said, illegal aliens do have a higher propensity for SOME crimes due to the cultural acceptance of some activities that are considered 'bad' here in America. Drunk driving is one example, and the statistics do bear this out. It is more socially acceptable south of the border for people to get inebriated and proceed to drive themselves home, or to another location. It used to be just as acceptable here, but thankfully we've turned the corner on that particular activity. Americans STILL drive drunk, but in much lower numbers than they used to, while recent arrivals haven't yet seemed to realize that that activity is frowned on here.

Identity theft seems to be more prevalent among illegal aliens, and I'm sure the desire for an 'acceptable' ID is a major factor contributing to it. However, it seems as if the major crime families in Mexico have taken quite a shine to this crime, and the financial repercussions to Americans have only just begun to be tallied.

There also seems to be a greater acceptance of child sexual abuse in the illegal alien community, although some of that may be attributable to the fact that the age of consent in Mexico is 12.

As far as the Rand Corporation is concerned, it doesn't take long to figure out that they do indeed have their own agenda, globalism, and will say pretty much whatever they have to in order to advance it, regardless of the consequences to America and Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,947 posts, read 21,939,969 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
As far as the Rand Corporation is concerned, it doesn't take long to figure out that they do indeed have their own agenda, globalism, and will say pretty much whatever they have to in order to advance it, regardless of the consequences to America and Americans.
And your evidence of this is?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I doubt seriously if anyone else does, either. To say that they do is quite a stretch, regardless of what you may see posted on this forum.

With that said, illegal aliens do have a higher propensity for SOME crimes due to the cultural acceptance of some activities that are considered 'bad' here in America. Drunk driving is one example, and the statistics do bear this out. It is more socially acceptable south of the border for people to get inebriated and proceed to drive themselves home, or to another location. It used to be just as acceptable here, but thankfully we've turned the corner on that particular activity. Americans STILL drive drunk, but in much lower numbers than they used to, while recent arrivals haven't yet seemed to realize that that activity is frowned on here.

Identity theft seems to be more prevalent among illegal aliens, and I'm sure the desire for an 'acceptable' ID is a major factor contributing to it. However, it seems as if the major crime families in Mexico have taken quite a shine to this crime, and the financial repercussions to Americans have only just begun to be tallied.

There also seems to be a greater acceptance of child sexual abuse in the illegal alien community, although some of that may be attributable to the fact that the age of consent in Mexico is 12.

As far as the Rand Corporation is concerned, it doesn't take long to figure out that they do indeed have their own agenda, globalism, and will say pretty much whatever they have to in order to advance it, regardless of the consequences to America and Americans.
This is exactly what the Rand corporation was talking about, untested theories being spouted off during immigration debates.

Btw, people on these boards think most illegal immigrants are criminals, rapists, muggers etc. I see it in posts ALL the time, so to say nobody thinks that on here is dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Btw, people on these boards think most illegal immigrants are criminals, rapists, muggers etc. I see it in posts ALL the time, so to say nobody thinks that on here is dishonest.
I do not thing "most" are criminals.

I KNOW that ALL are criminals.

They entered the country ILLEGALLY -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I do not thing "most" are criminals.

I KNOW that ALL are criminals.

They entered the country ILLEGALLY -

NOUN: Criminal

One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime

What about the 40 percent who came in legally with a visa?

BTW, being in the country illegally is not a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
NOUN: Criminal

One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime

BTW, being in the country illegally is not a crime.
Let's see: they come illegally - they get arrested and deported - and they return - is this a criminal act?

Face it - Illegal's are on the run. They are being arrested - detained, and deported - literally by the 100's each day.

State laws, like Arizona's employer sanction laws, are being upheld as lawful, by the courts.

So, regardless of your particular pro-illegal stance, you are very much in the minority -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's see: they come illegally - they get arrested and deported - and they return - is this a criminal act?

Face it - Illegal's are on the run. They are being arrested - detained, and deported - literally by the 100's each day.

State laws, like Arizona's employer sanction laws, are being upheld as lawful, by the courts.

So, regardless of your particular pro-illegal stance, you are very much in the minority -
That would be a criminal act but how do you know all illegal immigrants have been deported before and returned? You still didn't answer my question about those who came in legally with a visa or fell out of status?

I doubt i'm in the minority because majority of americans believe that the borders have to be secure, employers who hire illegal immigrants to be punished but are also realistic and don't mind legal status for those who are hardworking. Btw, how many states out of the 50 have passed laws like Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top