Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,171,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Very true, however in the case of Real Property law, the initial trespass was also an illegal act. The point being that if you fail to complain, at some point you lose the right to complain. The parallel I see with immigration is due to the fact that we practically hung a "Welcome" sign on the southern border for 20 years. If you did the same with your home and some guy stumbled in and began to sleep on your sofa and you let him stay, it would be hard to make a case 20 years later that he wasn't welcome. This is why I believe the solution to the illegal alien issue is (aside from securing the border) to completely remove all government assistance and enforce E-Verify. I think the problem will solve itself.

I agree 100% with enforcing E-verify.

Actually, if you let the immigrant stay on your sofa, there is no adverse possession, because possession to be adverse must be without permission. He has to sleep there after you tell him to vacate to get any kind of claim.

Its a creative idea allright, but I think there are also good legal responses to this argument. Also, while it may make a good law review article, it wouldn't pass that uncodified but important courtroom principle -- "the red face test." Given the mood of the country, you'd have a hard time convincing a judge in, for example, Arizona (and an appeals court if necessary), that the undocumented defendant in front of him should not be deported, but rather granted title to somebody else's property. Good luck to 'em.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 11-12-2016 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Ok, then why don't we get rid of, Medicare, SS, Pell Grants, NASA, the EPA, in fact the entire federal government, because we can't even get together to even agree on our values as Americans? A lot of these programs not only make economic sense, they're a lot of "feel good" stuff you're complaining about too.

Last but not least I have friends who are undocumented and they actually work HARDER than the law abiding citizens in this country. They go on to become professors, educators, engineers, architects to contribute to the economy just like normal responsible citizens. You just give no f8cks about this apparently and it's all ME ME ME ME. Talk about entitlement.
Ok, so we have work hard, earn our keep, and we are accountable for our actions for a baseline.

I agree, less fed more state control. That's where we have to start. I have no problem with California doing what it wants. But don't make other states responsible for it's stupid.

Yes, people Working and paying into SS makes sense. Third and fourth time drug recovery does not. Children going to school with nothing because of bad parents does not. Not in america. Those parents are accountable for their actions, not my kids.

Typical liberal trick. I never said illegal immigrants don't work hard. Illegal immigrants are great people. I said they are illegal immigrants and if they have children, the children are illegal immigrants. We should not be forced to pay for them.

"you have a friend that is an illegal ..." I see what you mean clearly. You want hillary because you want to take resources from us to help you and your hillary friends. That's our point too.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,440,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We aren't talking about "immigrants" but illegal aliens. The majority of them are guilty of committing felony ID theft or working for cash evading taxes.
Is there any statistical evidence for that claim that you can share? Thanks!

Old 11-14-2016, 01:05 PM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Last but not least I have friends who are undocumented
They need to leave the U.S. and apply to immigrate legally. Period.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Are you suggesting that all immigrants have committed these crimes?
All illegals have violated federal law. So, yes, ALL illegals are criminals.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:17 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,860,426 times
As Chris Rock put it,

Americans aren't going to wake up and go out and pick their own strawberries....

(and those dangerous slaughterhouse jobs, wow, those are some tough conditions to handle-
one summer cleaning fish - salmon- was enough for me)...

My point being is that I don't get the mindset that--

if america had NO immigration at all (well from the non european countries)
suddenly poor white america would be better off....

I know whats spoken of the most is "illegal" immigration- but honestly- lets get real about this,

for a lot of people who voted for Tump, and David Duke, who held a celebratory parade for him...
its about
keeping ALL brown people out of america.

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I predict that employers will be required to use E Verify. Nobody will be going door to door, rounding up illegals. But unable to find work, illegals will simply self-deport. If you can't find work, you're not gonna hang around.

This. No need to build a wall. Just E Verify and very stiff fines for anyone caught paying illegals under the table.

2,940 posts, read 1,806,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
As Chris Rock put it,

Americans aren't going to wake up and go out and pick their own strawberries....

(and those dangerous slaughterhouse jobs, wow, those are some tough conditions to handle-
one summer cleaning fish - salmon- was enough for me)...

My point being is that I don't get the mindset that--

if america had NO immigration at all (well from the non european countries)
suddenly poor white america would be better off....

I know whats spoken of the most is "illegal" immigration- but honestly- lets get real about this,

for a lot of people who voted for Tump, and David Duke, who held a celebratory parade for him...
its about
keeping ALL brown people out of america.
Of course that would be the case, so they don't need to compete with immigrants who do far better and work harder than the folks here. What a surprise.

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All illegals have violated federal law. So, yes, ALL illegals are criminals.
Untrue. Children under 18 have broken no law and visa over stayers are not subject to any criminal action.

As always the problem is that there is no practical way to deport the present illegals. Simply too many. And there is no where near the support that would be required to actually manage to deport them. Ryan has already made it clear there will be no large expansion of the deportation effort.

Everify is going no where. The lobby against it can easily hold its own even among Republicans.

So this is all whistling in the graveyard. There is no solution without some form of legalization. Been true for a decade and will remain true under Trump.

And note Trump has already reversed and is now after the criminals...which for all intents and purposes is exactly what Obama was doing.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Untrue. Children under 18 have broken no law and visa over stayers are not subject to any criminal action.
Incorrect. There is no age restriction on the applicable federal law. You can read it here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

And unlawful presence (overstaying a visa) results in deportation and being barred from re-entry to the U.S. for 3 years, 10 years, or permanently depending on the length of the unlawful presence.

There is no law permitting "dreamers" to remain in the U.S. They are subject to deportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration