U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that many illegals (and many legal immigrants) from Mexico believe in the "reconqu
Yes, I believe we are in a way being invaded. 37 78.72%
No, that's crazy. 9 19.15%
Undecided. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
49% are for, 46% oppose, with 5% unsure. Not exactly an overwhelming majority especially when you consider that most scientific polls are +/- 5%. That little 5% could easily bump those opposed to a majority, although again, not one that overwhelms one with its sheer numbers.

Statistically speaking, the 3% difference which separates the two factions is NOT "most" of anything.
If you add all the polls together, people who support legalization are a lot more than those who oppose it, am i right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM

407 posts, read 714,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
If you add all the polls together, people who support legalization are a lot more than those who oppose it, am i right?
If you believe all of those polls you show how naive you are because the majority of Americans have already made it clear that they do not want amnesty and they want the illegal problem gone.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite....

65% of Americans want to see the number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. decreased.

By a margin of 52% to 39%, Americans believe that immigration (and not just illegal immigration) hurts America.

By that magical margin of 3% you were relying on, Americans believe that illegal immigration is an economic threat to American workers.

There are more Americans who believe that illegal immigration has had a negative effect on their community than those who believe the effect to be positive.

54% believe that illegal immigration is one of the most important problems facing the U.S.

76% do not want illegal immigrants to have driver's licenses.

55% of Americans believe that when state or local police forces encounter illegal immigrants who have not broken any state or local laws, they should arrest those people and turn them over to the federal government.

55% of Americans believe that those who cannot read or write English should not be permitted to vote.

I could go on and on, but the point here is that for every one item on which Americans were willing to permit a small amount of leeway for illegal immigrants, there were ten where they were not.

If you think that adds up to a majority in favor of legalization, you probably should check the batteries on your calculator.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Quote:
Oooooh...oooooh...two points for blacknight!

The score is now 89 - 2. You're gonna need to sink a lot of three-pointers, blacknight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration