U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,136,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Next time you hear them playing the music with the accordions and the trumpets and so forth.. you can thank the large influx of Czech and German immigrants flooding into Mexico. And the next time you eat an "Al Pastor" taco, think of the Lebanese who came up with that genius recipe.
That only goes to prove that they don't have any original culture to draw from for music. They take and use and meld and mold it to suit them. That's what every culture does that didn't develop a style of their own.

Sounds like organ grinder music to me.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Of course its not indigenous completely. Its a mixture of indigenous and European.
There's really not much evidence of european culture blended into Mexican culture at all. Aside from the oompahpah music they ripped from the Germans. The only thing they share in common with anything resembling the Spanish is Catholicism, some architecture in Mexico City, siestas, and Spanish last names.

People from Spain don't consider Mexican culture anything close to Spain's, and europeans don't see any similarity between Mexican culture and theirs.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
I believe the accordian sounds were inspired by German immigrants coming into Texas -- and is more the inspiration for Tejano music which has then influenced the Norteño music. That music is quite a bit different than the mariachi music which doesn't use accordians but vihuelas, violins, guitarróns, and trumpets. I don't think the real traditional mariachi music has any of the polka music sounds. And a lot of the music is influenced by music from Spain.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 736,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
If you lived in Los Angeles, with its 40% foreign national population, you'd know that it's not the content, it's the VOLUME. And volume has to do with cultural mores on politeness and consideration for others, not a trait observers associate with illegals.

All kids blast music: but it ends. Foreign national adults of only one persuasion in L.A. blast noise at sports stadium/arena P.A. system levels 24 hours a day, window-rattling huge-volumed noise. Another observation is that every human around them not from their home country DETESTS this deliberate rudeness.

I like music with a content that would make most people vomit (punk, hardcore, metal, etc.) and yet no one around me even knows this because I play it for me, not the 5-block radius. Home entertainment is supposed to be just that: not a public nuisance.

Either the foreign nationals of this persuasion are all deaf, or all rude and mean-spirited: there is no other explanation of their lack of social responsibility.
Excellent points. I'd give you a rep for this, but you have so many that I'm afraid one more might break your rep meter.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I don't mind Mariachi being played live-- Its just not something I want to listen on the radio day in and day out. Neither is Banda for that matter. However, I can live with Spanish Rock.
I think of mariachi music as good music in a loud Mexican bar or the Plaza of Tlaquepaque -- Jalisco which is where you really expect to hear it.

There were country western singers who actually took a lot of the sounds of old Mexico -- it seems that was more common in the past. Marty Robbins for example.

The Ballet Folklorico (Bellas Artes) offers a nice musical history of Mexico -- including the music of the Indians.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Either the foreign nationals of this persuasion are all deaf, or all rude and mean-spirited: there is no other explanation of their lack of social responsibility.
I'd go with rude and mean-spirited. I would say the same about American tourists who imposed loud rock music onto people of another country they were visiting (except tourists eventually go back home).

Here you see that "in-your-face" attitude --- the same types proudly displaying their Mexican flags are the people who blast their Mexican music all hours of the day and night. Until there's talk of deportation -- then they quickly tuck away their flags and turn down the music and insist they can't be deported because they forgot their culture and language.

I associate loud blasting Mexican music with beer cans littered everywhere.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe the accordian sounds were inspired by German immigrants coming into Texas -- and is more the inspiration for Tejano music which has then influenced the Norteño music. That music is quite a bit different than the mariachi music which doesn't use accordians but vihuelas, violins, guitarróns, and trumpets. I don't think the real traditional mariachi music has any of the polka music sounds. And a lot of the music is influenced by music from Spain.
all of it sounds like organ grinder music when backed by horns... ok
nite nite

Old 02-28-2008, 07:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,661,545 times
Check this guy out

YouTube - El Gringo on the Don Francisco Show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration